Alpha

Wednesday Numbers | Official Estimates: Magic Mike XXL - 9.3M; Terminator: Genisys - 8.9M

Is it too much to ask for a good Terminator movie? I don't understand why they spend that much money on the movie but don't even hire a decent screenwriter or a director. 

No, we got two of them.

Edited by tribefan695

Reboots or remakes or whatever it is, makes me appreciate Batman Begins more and more.

Batman Begins was made almost in a completely different universe. It is not even a reboot or  a remake. 

BB has created a completely new genre: the Nolan Batman Trilogy

I know it's a common meme/thought here, but you can have talented people involved in a movie and still have it turn out badly. It's not just magical process by which you hire someone "good" and then, hey presto! an excellent movie appears.

Not this badly.  Terminator Genitals is aggressive schlock.

I know it's a common meme/thought here, but you can have talented people involved in a movie and still have it turn out badly. It's not just magical process by which you hire someone "good" and then, hey presto! an excellent movie appears.

No, but you would have a better chance. I mean, Alan Taylor's not exactly an auteur.

Admittedly, the reverse can happen as well, but I never had any sense Paramount was taking this franchise seriously. At this stage it ought to be Cameron or bust.

Edited by tribefan695

Schwarzenegger should just go off into the sunset

'Twins' Sequel 'Triplets' in the Works for Arnold, DeVito...and Eddie Murphy (Exclusive)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/twins-triplets-arnold-schwarzenegger-danny-devito-eddie-murphy-306026

The Legend Of Conan producer reveals Arnold Schwarzenegger will film sequel 'as soon as he's done with Terminator'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3096721/Conan-Barbarian-sequel-writer-says-Arnold-Schwarzenegger-stars-back.html

I haven't seen it yet, but even brilliant people make horrible movies, and it's not because they just suddenly lose all their talent. And if it happens with brilliant people, it's even more likely to happen when you have solidly competent or even above average people working on it.

• Like 3

No, but you would have a better chance. I mean, Alan Taylor's not exactly an auteur.

Admittedly, the reverse can happen as well, but I never had any sense Paramount was taking this franchise seriously. At this stage it ought to be Cameron or bust.

But it's not Paramount, it was Skydance who was active on the project through development.

I haven't seen it yet, but even brilliant people make horrible movies, and it's not because they just suddenly lose all their talent. And if it happens with brilliant people, it's even more likely to happen when you have solidly competent or even above average people working on it.

Who would you trust more with Mad Max: George Miller or Ernest R. Dickerson?

Obviously nobody involved like this project very much. Even at the executive level. No one is interested in it, from top to bottom.

OTOH, you see a movie like Mad Max, another reboot/sequel/whatever which is done very well: The seamless CGI, stunts and camera work, supermodel Theron's willingness to roll around in dust & dirt, showed the cast & the crew are in it for 101%. 

Maybe they don't like TV Folks (Alan Taylor, director, Emilia Clarke, Matt Smith) crossing over to Movie Land...?

Edited by zackzack

Obviously nobody involved like this project very much. Even at the executive level. No one is interested in it, from top to bottom.

Whereas, if you see Mad Max, another reboot/sequel/whatever which is done very well. The seamless CGI, stunts and camera work,

supermodel Theron willing to roll around in dust & dirt, showed the cast & the crew are in it for 101%.

I appreciate the love for MMFR, but you can't equate the end result with lack of effort or passion. I know it feels like that's a natural or inevitable conclusion, but things just don't work that way.

Theres a difference between an accidentally bad movie that just didn't turn out well(it happens a lot), and a bad movie turning out bad because the people involved either suck or aren't taking the material very seriously.  Terminator Genitals is just batshit mess, it makes up its own rules as it goes along, its stilted, and dips into self parody quite a bit.

I appreciate the love for MMFR, but you can't equate the end result with lack of effort or passion. I know it feels like that's a natural or inevitable conclusion, but things just don't work that way.

But you can't have a good movie with a lack of effort, and it doesn't feel like Skydance put much effort into it. I would've hoped someone would've tipped them off at how desperate repeating catchphrases from the Cameron movies looks. Even if it's not actually in the film, it's still really lazy marketing.

Edited by tribefan695

How many chances does Alan Taylor get?

And why does he get so many chances?

I'm not even a huge Alan Taylor fan, but y'all aren't being particularly fair to him. I know to movie fans, all of these projects and people play out kinda like fantasy sports, but the reality is that Taylor is a solid and competent director who's had some great success in TV and much less (so far) in movies. At a guess, he'll either return to premium/high profile TV projects, or he'll work on other film projects that aren't at a tentpole level.

• Like 2