grim22

Weekend Actuals 7/3-7/5: Inside Out 29.77M, JW 29.24M, Genisys 27.02M. Greek Wedding's record survives

The success of Mamma Mia continues to baffle to me today. It's such a POS nonsensical movie. 

C'mon, it was a fun movie. I liked it. I own it on DVD.

:angry:

Those feeling are much cooler than your dinos

Have you seem Inside Out? Is it released in Portugal yet?

It opened here on June 18 but as a single 21 years old man I am not gonna see it alone because the parents would call me a pedophile. It was already weird enough to see the last few animation movies I did.

• Like 1

It opened here on June 18 but as a single 21 years old man I am not gonna see it alone because the parents would call me a pedophile. It was already weird enough to see the last few animation movies I did.

John it'll totally be worth your parents thinking you're a pedophille.

Uh....

It is true. It is weird to go see a kids movie full of parents and their kids and then I show up. I was trying to see it at night but couldn't.

Some of the film's okay, but in terms of being a musical it's a mess. The songs add nothing to the plot and Brosnan's singing-voice is cringeworthy. 

The success of Mamma Mia continues to baffle to me today. It's such a POS nonsensical movie.

You take that back!

To be honest, the movie had its problems (Pierce Brosnan's singing chief among them), and it was inferior to the stage version, but like with MBFGW I don't understand the HATE for it. IMO it's the second best of the Broadway adaptation wave of the 00s-10s (behind Hairspray), though that's not hard considering the others. (I am still disappointed at the Producers movie musical, the stage version was hilarious but the movie adaptation just felt flat.)

I saw that with my mom and her friend on OW, it's one of the few times I've seen two openers on the same weekend/week (only other time I can recall is Interstellar/BH6).

Edited by TServo2049

hfiPFcS.gif

Holm_Park_Playground.jpg

Edited by grim22
  • Like 6

John it'll totally be worth your parents thinking you're a pedophille.

:lol: No, it isn't :lol: Maybe I will see it later in his run after Minions has opened because it should be empty. IO has been number 1 here for 3 weeks in a row now.

It is true. It is weird to go see a kids movie full of parents and their kids and then I show up. I was trying to see it at night but couldn't.

As a parent, I wouldn't even notice a lone single man. I'd be too busy corralling my kid.

Now, if I spotted the same lone man at a playground at zero dark thirty...

• Like 5

hfiPFcS.gif

Holm_Park_Playground.jpg

Telemachos, on 06 Jul 2015 - 8:17 PM, said:

As a parent, I wouldn't even notice a lone single man. I'd be too busy corralling my kid.

Now, if I spotted the same lone man at a playground at zero dark thirty...

giphy.gif

Why would you be with your kid in a playground at zero dark thirty?  :mellow:

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 4

You take that back!

To be honest, the movie had its problems(Pierce Brosnan's singing chief among them), and it was inferior to the stage version, but like with MBFGW I don't understand the HATE for it. IMO it's the second best of the Broadway adaptation wave of the 00s-10s (behind Hairspray), though that's not hard considering the others. (I am still disappointed at the Producers movie musical, the stage version was hilarious but the movie adaptation just felt flat.)

I just don't like the film version of Mamma-Mia. I think it's pretty unsurprising. I like ABBA's songs, but they really aren't used well in the film. The NC's review pretty much captures my thoughts on the film, though I don't consider it the worst chick-flick ever. 

Edited by Insidearcher

Yeah, I don't see myself ever watching it again, that's for certain. I just didn't hate it when it came out, I thought it was serviceable.

(Though like with several other movies of late, Stellan is the best part.)

Edited by TServo2049

Yeah, I don't see myself ever watching it again, that's for certain. I just didn't hate it when it came out, I thought it was serviceable.

(Though like with several other movies of late, Stellan is the best part.)

Stellan sounded like a tone deaf Kermit The Frog - actually even worse than Brosnan - but it was all part of it's messy charm.  I'm not a big ABBA fan but I got a kick out of the movie - it was fun.

Exactly! I don't have kids, but I don't look around my theater and see who else is there. I'm either chatting with whoever I'm with, or on my phone.

Nobody will fucking care.

• Like 4

As I said in the estimates thread:

I don't understand the hate for MBFGW, particularly going into this weekend. Sure, it didn't endure in the cultural consciousness, but it earned that record by starting small and then building and building to #2 in weekend 20. That was astounding even in 2002. It was a perpetual-motion-machine of WOM.

And yet people hate on the movie now. It's almost like the Ally McBeal of cinema, seemingly nobody on the Internet will admit that they liked it back then, or that its popularity back then was legitimate.

Yeah. I don't understand it either. The film made $241M DOM and $368M WW. And all that was thanks to the good WOM and legs.