grim22

Weekend Actuals 7/3-7/5: Inside Out 29.77M, JW 29.24M, Genisys 27.02M. Greek Wedding's record survives

Gonna point this out because somebody has to once every summer: Mamma Mia did incredible business. 27m OW against Dark Knight and a 5x multiplier is good enough--610m worldwide, without opening in most of the markets that cater to boffo international business these days, is outstanding. 

Mamma Mia is on the top 5 most seen movies ever over here. A pure case of WTFuckness. 

Mamma Mia is on the top 5 most seen movies ever over here. A pure case of WTFuckness. 

Wasn't Mamma Mia the highest grossing movie in UK box office history till Avatar and Skyfall overtook it?

EDIT: Yup

Timeline of the highest-grossing film record since 1975[11]
Year of

record

Title Record setting gross

(£ million)

1976 Jaws 11.8
1978 Star Wars 14.4
1978 Grease 14.7
1983 E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial 21.7
1990 Ghost 23.3
1993 Jurassic Park 47.9
1997 United Kingdom* The Full Monty 52.2
1998 Titanic 69.0
2008 United Kingdom* Mamma Mia![nb 2] 68.5/69.2
2010 Avatar 94.0
2012 United Kingdom* Skyfall 102.9[2]

Edited by grim22
  • Like 1

The 10 years my manager has been working at our specific movie theatre, he said Mama Mia was by far the busiest movie. We had it for 8 or 9 weeks (which is a lot for 5 screen theatre) and it was incredibly busy every night. He said it was crazy that its fourth Friday was just as busy as the first.
  • Like 1

As I said in the estimates thread:

I don't understand the hate for MBFGW, particularly going into this weekend. Sure, it didn't endure in the cultural consciousness, but it earned that record by starting small and then building and building to #2 in weekend 20. That was astounding even in 2002. It was a perpetual-motion-machine of WOM.

And yet people hate on the movie now. It's almost like the Ally McBeal of cinema, seemingly nobody on the Internet will admit that they liked it back then, or that its popularity back then was legitimate.

Oh, I don't hate the film, last I remembered, I thought it was alright, it's just that making a sequel thirteen years after the original, is basically asking for trouble. 

The success of Mamma Mia continues to baffle to me today. It's such a POS nonsensical movie. 

Edited by Insidearcher

Looking at the top grossing movies in the UK, I remember when Full Monty was a major phenomenon, it even did really well in India if memory serves and got Robert Carlyle the Bond villain gig as well. It did 250M WW on a 4M budget, that is hitting the pop culture consciousness in a major way.

I am so done with this shit ass American country, couldn't even give my dino babies the first place again for the fourth time. Instead it gave it to a bunch of stupid feelings.

a5K72wy_460s.jpg

:angry:

Those feeling are much cooler than your dinos

Have you seem Inside Out? Is it released in Portugal yet?

• Like 1

Mamma Mia! was catnip for 40/50/60 somethings that remembered when that music was popular. And it was based on a massively popular show. And the movie had an all-star cast led by Meryl coming off of her popular performance in The Devil Wears Prada. In retrospect, it's not surprising the movie was so big. 

• Like 1