#ED

Wednesday Actuals: IO - 5M, JW - 3.7M

Maybe even worse. Less than $20M.

Purge is the more innovative horror/thriller series now that Paranormal Activity and its counterfeit like The Gallows have run their course.

I think The Gallows is actually a slasher movie. But I'm not 100%. Need to wait and see.

T2 at that time was something no one pictured could happen. Imagine in 1991 no internet no IMDB, all we had was magazines like Fangoria(yes they talked about T2 like crazy) or ET(Entertainment Tonight) to tell us what was new. Or for critics instead of Rotten Tomatoes there were Siskel & Ebert for our reviews. Anyway I'm getting off topic sorry but for something like T2 for it's R rating and how the R rating was back in 1991 there was no American Sniper or Passion Of The Christ like gross(unless you consider Beverly Hills Cop among the few), and with Arnold having a so-so track record it was hard to imagine this getting 204 million like it did.

I remember Siskel & Ebert reviewed it a few days before it actually came out... I was anxious because I was hoping it was good and I wasn't sure how they would react. And they both raved about it.

edit: man, I love YouTube. Here's their review (although someone cut in HD clips to replace the old SD footage).

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 4

Not BTTF... third was better than the second. But really, they should've left it alone after the first.

While I disagree specifically with III above II, I didn't really like Part II or Part III. ;)  So, yeah, in essence, we agree. I'm often flummoxed when fellow film fanatics prefer Part II above all simply because of the hoverboard. Blasphemy.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 1

But the way you talk about it, Max, sounds like you were there and following this stuff. Do you really remember it being a big surprise that T2 did so well?

no I was born in 1996 I was reading stuff about Terminator 2 being successful and I looked at Arnold's box office on box office mojo.

I remember Siskel & Ebert reviewed it a few days before it actually came out... I was anxious because I was hoping it was good and I wasn't sure how they would react. And they both raved about it.

edit: man, I love YouTube. Here's their review (although someone cut in HD clips to replace the old SD footage).

I'm glad they liked it. They were the weirdest critics, like Siskel loved Carnosaur and Ebert hated it.

I used to stay up late on the East coast to watch At The Movies or whatever it was called when I was little kid. The youngin's here don't realize before RT, you had to take your local papers word for it or subscribe/purchase other publications to see what critics thought. I was limited to the New York Times, Entertainment Weekly, Rolling Stone and Siskel/Ebert until I was about 14 years old.

You had to earn it in the late 90s. I used to bike to Blockbuster and rent a pair of movies on a near daily basis. Pfft... Netflix came soon after. I don't mean Instant Netflix. I mean watching a movie and mailing it back and wait three fucking days for the next one. A fiend had to be selective, hence why I fell in love with TCM and Encore as a kid. They played so many classic unedited.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 2

I'm glad they liked it. They were the weirdest critics, like Siskel loved Carnosaur and Ebert hated it.

They were among the best because agree or disagree they supported their likes and dislikes usually giving valid knowledgeable reasons.  They're much missed.

• Like 5

So-so track record? Arnold had just been in two movies that together combined to T2's gross, Total Recall and Kindergarten Cop. He was on the upswing at the time.

T2 outdid expectations, but it must have been expected to be a hit regardless. (Anybody old enough to remember, going into summer 1991, was T2 expected to win the summer from the get-go, or was Robin Hood?)

I remember all the talk was about T2 - Arnold was HUGE at that time - seemed like everything he was in was a hit

• Like 1