CJohn

Weekend Estimates: Minions - 115.2M; JW - 18.1M; Inside Out - 17.1M; Gallows - 10M; Self/Less - 5.4M; MMXXL - 9.6M; T5 - 13.7M

Shake weigt? Looks like shake dick. Didn't knew the PA franchise had dick jokes now. Anyway, this can't be worse than PA4, right?

Edited by CJohn

Yep. Give people they want to see and if its not a Pixar film it's automatically a cash grab. You guys f****** make me laugh sometimes seriously you're so predictable. Pics are really does donate all of their money to charity don't they.

Hypocrisy, thy name is you

baumer, on 30 Jul 2014 - 3:35 PM, said:

Too bad this is going to fail as a club...I was there with you from the beginning.

But it seems any stupid super hero movie from Marvel gets people out in droves.

http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/12627-guardians-of-the-galaxy-under-the-incredible-hulk-134806913-club-is-closed/page-35

• Like 11

It's not done particularly well in any country it's been released in, so I can see why they're releasing it in the U.S.

It's done well in the UK but that wasn't surprising. Aardman does well but not on a huge scale hence why they partnerned with Studiocanal

Yep. Give people they want to see and if its not a Pixar film it's automatically a cash grab. You guys f****** make me laugh sometimes seriously you're so predictable. Pics are really does donate all of their money to charity don't they.

I am shareholder in Disney so they do help my charity, namely me.

It's done well in the UK but that wasn't surprising. Aardman does well but not on a huge scale hence why they partnerned with Studiocanal

Yeah, but it hasn't done really well anywhere else. Claymation in general is considered to be box office poison, hence why major studios rarely invest in it.

It's a bad attempt at a cash grab because it adds NOTHING to the DM universe. The Minions are still morons at the end. Scarlett Overkill probably won't be in DM3, so any development of her character is a wash. No one really grows in the film. 

Any sequel is a cash grab. I won't deny it. But doing it solely to make money is what makes it bad. Putting zero effort into the story is what makes it bad. Regardless of how much money Pixar makes, all of their films except Cars 2 had at least some effort put into the story. Same goes for Studio Ghibli, Laika, Aardman and some of DreamWorks. 

It doesn't really do anything except give little kids something stupid to laugh at for 90 minutes - there's nothing for adults, based on early reviews. Even the first two DM had Gru's personal development and his relationship with the girls to keep adults interested. 

I won't deny that Toy Story 2-3 were conceived as cash grabs. However, unlike Illumination, Pixar bothered to give the audience something a little more than 'just what they want' (more Woody/Buzz) and as a result, created one of the best trilogies of all time, just going off general consensus (your opinion about the TS trilogy is in the minority). Minions certainly doesn't add anything. There's nothing deep about it. There's no real character arc. The Minions stay the same and appear to always remain mere simpletons. 

Same goes for Kung Fu Panda, HTTYD, MU, Puss in Boots and the first Shrek sequel. Even DM2 had more to offer than Minions. They were all cash grabs, but the creative teams behind them actually put some effort into giving teens/adults something to enjoy, while still entertaining kids. 

The Cars franchise is awful - so I'm not just a Pixar loony. Both are blatant cash grabs. But the first Cars has enough for adults where I wouldn't equate it with Minions. Cars 2 is equally awful as the Minions spinoff though. 

Shrek the Third, Shrek Forever After, Ice Age 2-4, Madagascar 2-3, Rio 2, Penguins of Madagascar, Cars 2 - all examples of how NOT to do a cash grab. Not just Pixar, but any animation studio. 

A cash grab sequel is fine if well-done (Toy Story 2-3, Empire Strikes Back, TDK, Last Crusade, JW, Captain America 2, Godfather Part II, etc) 

• Like 1

That preview number makes me a bit nervous... Am I the only one who doesn't think animation OW record is a lock? The way I see it, DM2 had a $35M OD from $4.7M in previews. The same ratio for Minions gives it about a $46M OD, which would probably only lead to $115M-120M OW... Not to mention previews started at 6 PM so that's an advantage there... Who knows how many extra showtimes that could be...

DM2 was not a Friday release.

Anyways we cant predict anything without some early Friday numbers. Anything over 110M is good for minions.

4071582-you+really+need+to+relax.gif

• Like 1

Mother of all cash grabs : Jaws 2

Jaws: The Revenge provided one of my favorite actor quotes of all time by Michael Caine

“I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific.”

• Like 8