CJohn

Weekend Estimates: Minions - 115.2M; JW - 18.1M; Inside Out - 17.1M; Gallows - 10M; Self/Less - 5.4M; MMXXL - 9.6M; T5 - 13.7M

I was looking at MU's Saturday drop and DM2's Thursday drop and averaged them a bit together to get 18%. Pretty sure Minions is frontloaded based off of everyone's comments here so hence my predict

DM2's Thursday was July 4th, really not a fair comparison...

Earlier today was looking at minions 40-42 matinees are good expect pretty good eve business which if case may be upside by we will see Fri evening trade quite high.

JP4 7.5-8.2, IO 6.8-7.5

Great for JW! :D

• Like 1

Earlier today was looking at minions 40-42 matinees are good expect pretty good eve business which if case may be upside by we will see Fri evening trade quite high.

JP4 7.5-8.2, IO 6.8-7.5

If Minion ends up with $42M Saturday, are we looking at $123M+ for the weekend?

• Like 1

Nice reading the wrong thing I was saying into it. I've seen The Nut Job and while I'm aware it's probably a better family movie than HTTYD2, it's still a shitty movie. Your kids aren't stupid and dumb; it's probably the fault of scheduling since there was NO family movies last summer anyway, I'd probably take my kid to see The Nut Job too.

Also, this isn't necessarily directed at you, but the attitude that "Minions are fine for kids, they aren't made for adults" is dumb. Kids are way smarter than a lot of animation studios give them credit for. That's why I'm happy we've got Disney, Sony, and DreamWorks all delivering them something for them to really love and get attached too, unlike the fads of Illumination and the other dime-a-dozen studios. Note that I don't mention Pixar: even though I like Inside Out's run, I'm continuously shocked that kids are liking the film, because a lot of the jokes do go above their head, along with the central message of the film being mature even for an animated film. Whatever, I'm probably a bit too passionate about this issue since I've always been into animation and I also work with children, but to write off a film medium as "just for kids" is devaluing the level of children's intelligence and comes off as insulting to those older folks who do like their animation. Maybe that's just me though.

Sony Animation is better than Illumination and the rest mid-level animation studios? Since when? Probably they are better than the studio which made The Nut Job, I have not seen it, but they are not good really.

But while I think animation should really get more respect as a medium (I love animation) I do think that something humorous like Minions has its place. Many adults love them too.

The past is so much better, Snoopy. We get college football starting at 9am. NFL starts at 10am.

That was my favorite part about living on the west coast when I was single. Could roll out of bed on a saturday at 8:45 in the morning, grab a beer, and turn on the TV to either a baseball or football game about to start. It was fantastic.

• Like 2

That was my favorite part about living on the west coast when I was single. Could roll out of bed on a saturday at 8:45 in the morning, grab a beer, and turn on the TV to either a baseball or football game about to start. It was fantastic.

I've never lived on the east coast, but having to wait until 1 to watch NFL sounds like a pain... But that might just be because I'm used to an early time.

• Like 2

Sony Animation is better than Illumination and the rest mid-level animation studios? Since when? Probably they are better than the studio which made The Nut Job, I have not seen it, but they are not good really.

But while I think animation should really get more respect as a medium (I love animation) I do think that something humorous like Minions has its place. Many adults love them too.

My kids are pretty smart, according to their grades and standardized testing. And they LOVED Chipwrecked, a movie that made me want to carve my eyes out with a fork.

So, sure, kids are often more sophisticated than they get credit. But there are also plenty of areas in which they're dumb as rocks and have terrible taste.

Edit- Huh, I think I replied to the wrong post.

Edited by Wrath
  • Like 2

I've never lived on the east coast, but having to wait until 1 to watch NFL sounds like a pain... But that might just be because I'm used to an early time.

Plus, all the late west coast games end at 3:30 in the morning. Moving back east after that was agonizing.

• Like 1

Plus, all the late west coast games end at 3:30 in the morning. Moving back east after that was agonizing.

Baseball is actually generally done by 10:30 Pacific, 1:30 on the east coast. I think you're thinking of some extra inning game that went on way too long

kids are just like adults not everything has to be an highbrow flick , sometimes they just want to have a fun time at the cinema and the minions delivers just that ! 

i went to a late showing 10.30pm only adults no kids and it was a ball !

• Like 2