CJohn

Weekend Estimates: Minions - 115.2M; JW - 18.1M; Inside Out - 17.1M; Gallows - 10M; Self/Less - 5.4M; MMXXL - 9.6M; T5 - 13.7M

I feel though he might have a tougher time enforcing no-3D the next time around.

Yeah, Interstellar would have hit $800m with 3D and Inception would have hit $1 billion with 3D. I could see him still having the power to enforce no 3D on IMAX and PLF. IMAX's 3D-only policy on everything is bullshit IMHO. I am willing to pay $8 more for a ticket to see a film on a huge screen in 2D, but I absolutely won't do it for 3D.

• Like 6

I feel though he might have a tougher time enforcing no-3D the next time around.

Definitely seems easy to enforce no-3D these days for live action. Cinderella, Kingsman, James Bond, Fast & Furious, all of the Hunger Games... studios seem to be basing it more on what actually seems right for the movie  :ph34r:

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 2

Definitely seems easy to enforce no-3D these days for live action. Cinderella, Kingsman, James Bond, Fast & Furious, all of the Hunger Games... studios seem to be basing it more on what actually seems right for the movie  :ph34r:

Does it really matter for Fast & Furious? I don't see any difference between that one and JP4. I bet Universal would love to have that extra 3D money for F&F movies.

Does it really matter for Fast & Furious? I don't see any difference between that one and JP4. I bet Universal would love to have that extra 3D money for F&F movies.

Wasn't Furious 7 in 3D OS, but not domestically?

I don't think it's always about what gets the biggest intake. Studios know as well as we do that 3D theaters don't fill up as much as 2D theaters anymore. Overseas they're still going crazy over it but the affectation of adding 3D for extra box office feels like something consumers here are aware of and won't go for, unless it's for the biggest movies (JW, Avengers, big family movies). There's a reason why we don't get the rereleases anymore.

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 1

I'm going to be shocked if Kingsman 2 isn't in 3D, the first felt perfect for 3D.

Gives Melissa her first 100m solo. She is still on the up.

Identity Thief was more of a solo than Spy lol. Jason Bateman is not a draw. Put him in a film by himself and it will do $20-30 million. McCarthy at least guarantees $75 million at this point.

I'd say Identity Thief was her first $100 million solo. Spy is an ensemble, and Heat had Bullock 

Id love to see Minions make 400 million. Then all the Pixar loonies will call it a cash grab as they hold a picture of John Lasseter and Mother Theresa side by side.

It is a cash grab, though... and regardless of how much you hate Pixar, you can't deny that they're objectively far more ambitious than Illumination. Even if the film falls flat, they put a lot more effort into the storytelling aspect. Without DM, Illumination is really nothing. I would say the same about Pixar if Toy Story and Cars were the only things they ever did. 

Unlike Studio Ghibli, Aardman, Laika or WDAS and some DreamWorks (KFP, HTTYD) - not even bringing up Pixar, there's nothing remotely intelligent or ambitious about this spinoff. Based on early reviews, all of the jokes are in the trailer, and the ones they don't show fall flat on adults.

This spinoff had absolutely nothing substantial to add to the DM universe... even Puss in Boots added a little something to Shrek's popular supporting character's backstory. 

Hence, why it's a cash grab. If it doesn't give the DM characters further development, it has no real thematic reason for existing. And the RT rating just confirms that. Yes, kids under the age of 7 will like it... but they'll like almost anything you put in front of them with something remotely funny. 

Minions taking out Shrek 3s record is likely now

$110-130 million OW. I see this being the most frontloaded animated OW by a considerable margin. 

DM2 would have hit 400m if MU hadn't been released next to it. :ph34r:

Don't you mean if Smurfs 2/Turbo/Planes had never been made? 

Because what comes before doesn't hurt a film as much as what comes after. 

Without those three, MU legs its way to $290-310 million DOM, DM2 possibly surpasses CF to win the year. Summer 2013 simply had way too many kids movies. 

Shaun the Sheep will be lucky to make 100m. :ph34r:

Don't you mean $25 million?

IO/Minions/Pixels/Ant-Man covers the family demo. And Underdogs opens the week after. Both animated releases will be lucky to combine to $50 million DOM 

Don't you diss Shaun, philistines!

Go Shaun go!

tumblr_lvq3z4xhYf1qa68j2o1_r1_500.gif

Watch Shaun do Chicken Run unadjusted out of the blue...

Sandra Bullock means as much to Minions' success as Ty Simpkins meant to Jurassic World.  :ph34r:

Umm... her name is plastered all over the trailers  :lol: she'll be what brings in unsuspecting older adults who are expecting an intelligent animated film like IO or Shaun  :ph34r:

Without her, this would probably do $30-50 million less. She's one of the few draws left today. 

• Like 3

I don't think it's always about what gets the biggest intake. Studios know as well as we do that 3D theaters don't fill up as much as 2D theaters anymore. Overseas they're still going crazy over it but the affectation of adding 3D for extra box office feels like something consumers here are aware of and won't go for, unless it's for the biggest movies (JW, Avengers, big family movies). 

But given F&F7 made $1.1 billion overseas, which was far bigger than the $350m domestic total...wouldn't it make sense to at least do it for the overseas release?

Umm... her name is plastered all over the trailers  :lol: she'll be what brings in unsuspecting older adults who are expecting an intelligent animated film like IO or Shaun  :ph34r:

Without her, this would probably do $30-50 million less. She's one of the few draws left today. 

My friends and I constantly make fun of the fact that she's all over the ads, because everybody knows that nobody gives a crap Sandra is in the movie except for like, maybe a select few. Have you seen an ad for this movie that is JUST Scarlett Overkill? Everybody is going to see this movie for the yellow banana lovers. Without her, maybe $5 mil less. MAYBE. That's being really kind.

Edited by goldenstate5
  • Like 2

The only time I was ever impressed with 3D was Beauty and the Beast 3D, which looked brilliant but gave me a headache for the rest of the night

Gravity, How To Train Your Dragon, Avatar, Dark Of The Moon, Jurassic Park 3D re-release for me.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

Shaun is a excellent film, it's surprising it got a US release at all but I guess it's more to qualify for the Oscars, it's made most of its money from OS alone so US is just gravy. 

It's not done particularly well in any country it's been released in, so I can see why they're releasing it in the U.S.

How To Train Your Dragon, Avatar, Dark Of The Moon, Jurassic Park 3D re-release.

I saw Dark of the Moon in 3D, and it was alright

Actually I think DotM, BatB, and On Stranger Tides are the only movies I've ever seen in 3D