grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

I find it weird that UK critics are giving the movie better reviews than American critics. It's usually the opposite.

Not really.  I find that UK critics are on avg higher graders.  Even more so when the production, director or actors are British. (see Bond & Potter when the reviews come early)

• Like 1

I really want to be flat out wrong about this, since Aladdin is my favorite Disney "classic" animation film, but I have a feeling that this might be a situation like TASM and TASM2. High praise from UK, tepid from the USA. If it gets a certified fresh RT, I think even without a proper marketing push it might become a bonafide hit. Something is off about how late these reviews are coming, and how weird the time of the embargo break is for this. 

• Like 2

Just now, ZattMurdock said:

I really want to be flat out wrong about this, since Aladdin is my favorite Disney "classic" animation film, but I have a feeling that this might be a situation like TASM and TASM2. High praise from UK, tepid from the USA. If it gets a certified fresh RT, I think even without a proper marketing push it might become a bonafide hit. Something is off about how late these reviews are coming, and how weird the time of the embargo break is for this. 

Over Godzilla Dom?

18 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

I was on life support by the time Evermore came along and still thought it great.  It actually made me feel something when I hadn't before.  Dan Stevens' doesn't have a great singing voice - but he's a damn good actor and he really made this song work.  Emma has a thin reedy voice but that's not the big hurdle - it's that she lacks musicality (queue up Strictly Ballroom) and her overall performance was poor, singing or not so she rendered her songs (and character) into lifeless slogs.

Yes, Dan Stevens is an excellent actor, but I didn't feel Evermore a single bit, except maybe in the chorus. He was still better singing-wise than Emma, but yeah. And someone mentioned the other original song, I didn't really care about that one either. The remade songs had 0% of the charm of the originals, the new ones also weren't impressive (maybe not terrible, but unimpressive). BATB just didn't have anything for me.

Again, compare Evermore to the resonance and emotion that Naomi Scott brings to Speechless, or the energy that Will Smith brings to the new version of Friend Like Me. It's like night and day.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

lol at this getting good reviews after seemingly everybody expecting a full blown disaster from the moment Guy Ritchie was announced as director.

I was actually excited for it when Guy Ritchie was announced. I was only disappointed after seeing none of his style shown in any of the footage we have seen till now.

Edited by lorddemaxus