grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

5 hours ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Does anyone have a ranking for the Disney villains in the live action remakes that were released between 1996 (with 101 Dalmatians) to today (with most recently: Aladdin)? From most best to least best.

I’m surprised we haven’t made a list for the villains in their live action counterparts. Here are the ones so far and those who played them:

Cruella DeVil (Glenn Close)

Iracebeth ”The Red Queen/Queen of Hearts” (Helena Bonham Carter)

Maleficent (Angelina Jolie)

Lady Tremaine (Cate Blanchett)

Shere Khan (Idris Elba)

Gaston (Luke Evans)

Jafar (Marvan Kenzari)

1. Cruella DeVil as played by Glenn Close

2. Lady Tremaine as played by Cate Blanchett

3. Maleficent as played by Angelina Jolie

* a bit of space*

4. The Red Queen as played by Helena Bonham Carter

5. Gaston as played by Luke Evans

6. Shere Khan as played by Idris Elba

*a gulf of space*

7. Jafar as played by Marwan Kenzari

At least Kenzari’s face was nice to look at. I’m guessing Scar will end up somewhere in the middle.

Edited by theruraljuror1121

I think Disney is wise not to lift the review embargo early after all. 

Had RT score released earlier, audience will be misled and the buzz will just stop right there , especially the pre-buzz for aladdin is already mixed 
So is it justified to assume, that if embargo is not lifted early, the critical reception is going to be bad?

Lähetetty minun SM-A520F laitteesta Tapatalkilla

1 hour ago, AJG said:

Although I enjoyed the film, I'm hurt that we were robbed of the possibility of seeing Baz Luhrman's cocaine fuelled imagining of Aladdin.

That would have been a hell of a match. I would have payed to see a Lhurmann's Aladdin.

There's still Hunchback of Notre Dame to be live-actionned (I think it will eventually be made). We could still root for it. 

And what about a Taika Waititi's Hercules? 

Edited by meriodejaneiro
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, ttr said:

So is it justified to assume, that if embargo is not lifted early, the critical reception is going to be bad?

Lähetetty minun SM-A520F laitteesta Tapatalkilla

Not always. In Disney’s case, though, they usually only lift the embargo for their movies late if they either have little faith in them, or if they want to avoid spoilers from spreading (as was the case with Endgame). There was obviously nothing of value to spoil with a remake of film from 1992, so Disney lifting the embargo so late suggested that they didn’t have a ton of faith in it. Still, all things considered, this movie’s critical reception could’ve been worse. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ThePhasmid said:

Disney reigns supreme. I'm saddened by the John Wick drop. Godzilla might even take a hit from Aladdin's performance. WTF?

At this rate, the biggest non-Disney film of the year (outside of Spider-Man: Far From Home) will probably be an Illumination sequel, which isn’t very promising for the future of cinema...

Edited by WittyUsername
  • Like 1

So, what do we have till now:

A spectacular Shay win! All haters are cowering in fear. Aladdin is already on its way to becoming one of the biggest and certainly most loved movies of the year. Nearby smallish lizards will be trampled. A certain Guy is laughing all the way to the bank. With an amazing 130m OW and inevitable Christmas legs, this movie will deliver big time...

What we have from now on:

We are currently entering the Sequel Gambit. How much will the first movie need to make for the Disney suits to greenlight The Return of Jafar? Mind you, they are ever-greedy and trigger-happy...

Edited by shayhiri

We REALLY enjoyed this movie! The "issues" were so minor they did not take away from anything. Changes here and there, mostly for the better. Will Smith was AMAZING! Mena and Naomi were great! Was surprised at how well Mena did. Jafar was a bit stiff, yes, but that was fine. Didn't detract from the movie. The sets were incredible. The handmaiden, in my opinion, (Nasim Padrad) stole the movie IMHO. Well she and Will. Songs were great.I truly feel it deserves the 93% audience score it got. 

Funny how all of a sudden we go from "Disney remake backlash" to "Disney needs to remake <this> and <that>" in just a day.

Edited by jedijake
  • Like 4

21 hours ago, That One Guy said:

Will Smith's Genie makes this a scarier movie than almost any horror movie I've seen so far this year.  It's terrifying.  I feel bad for whichever kid that sees this movie and is scarred for life by whatever the hell that thing is.  Why the hell does he have abs?  Who greenlit this design and thought it was okay?  Any time he transforms back into a regular Will Smith body is one of the only times you feel like you can relax

i haven't read of anyone else being scared by will smith's genie. maybe you're just a wimp. have you considered this?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i haven't read of anyone else being scared by will smith's genie. maybe you're just a wimp. have you considered this?

this is possible.  doesn't change the fact that I was terrified.

Edited by That One Guy
  • Like 1