grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

Upping this to 8+/10 after the second view.

I guess critics are bland because of the combo beloved/iconic original + cash grab prejudice (not like they blame MCU for that, even their worst movies had 70%+ ratings) + lack of interest + Will Smith instead of Robin Williams.

BatB suffered a similar fate, but it didn't have any character deeply connected to a dead actor, and that was a different time, when the Disney LA were less frequent (and thus less annoying to some).

Not like anyone with a minimum of grey matter can still rely on critics as if they were some sort of experts.

Here's the review of one of these "experts":

Gosh, maybe CGI really can do everything. I mean, if it can smother Will Smith’s energy and charisma under a lumpen shell of magical blue muscle and turn the mighty morphin’ Genie of the Lamp into a clumsy counselor who just wants to be human — er, free — then perhaps it’s also powerful enough to turn this live-action do-over into something fresh and worthwhile in its own right? No? Pity. There are efforts made, whether through good faith or just market savvy, to update Princess Jasmine (Naomi Scott) into a people’s champion who might prefer ruling to romance. She gets a few impassioned scenes, and a song of her own about not being silenced that sounds a bit like reheated Frozen material, but it’s enough to make you wish the Disney people had gone whole hog and just called it Jasmine. The story of a young woman’s struggle to navigate the perils of palace intrigue, her father’s simultaneously overprotective and bullying love, and a culture that wants her seen and not heard, aided only by her faithful handmaiden and a mysterious thief from the city streets… As it is, we’re stuck with Aladdin (Mena Massoud), a handsome but mopey orphan who just wants to be thought of as more than what he’s been his whole life. (Talk about fairy tales!) At least the baddie’s parrot sidekick gets a nicely nasty makeover.

This is from Matthew Lickona, a guy that should be hoeing the ground instead of reviewing movies. All he said could have been said by a random guy with an IQ of 80/90 that rarely goes to the theater. There's no analysis in this, just some mockery, a couple of idiotic comments and a few rough descriptions that offer nothing to the reader and thus reveal the mere intention of diminishing the film's quality.

Reviews only matter when they're terrible (sub-20/50% depending on the kind of movie). Otherwise, they mean little to nothing.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

This was much better than BatB but critics knives were out for it. :sadno: some reviews read as if they were written on a blind, before the critic saw the movie.

That's what I think happened too here, which is wildly unprofessional. I mean I'm the perfect example of someone who went in with knives out, fully ready to tear this apart. Yet I'm perfectly capable of admitting when my pre-release expectations were wrong. Critics of all people sure as hell should be capable of doing that, it's literally their jobs. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

That's what I think happened too here, which is wildly unprofessional. I mean I'm the perfect example of someone who went in with knives out, fully ready to tear this apart. Yet I'm perfectly capable of admitting when my pre-release expectations were wrong. Critics of all people sure as hell should be capable of doing that, it's literally their jobs. 

agreed and @shayhiri is right that RT is now letting anyone with a blog to be a critic which is why we get this lack of professionalism. It seems to me that most critics simply tailor their reviews to their readership's (initial, pre-release) preferences and that's how Aladdin ended up on the chopping block. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

All audience now up to 90% on RT. :ohmygod:

This has a shot at being the highest audience score for a blockbuster this year at this rate. 

How would you define blockbuster for those purposes?

Edited by Thanos Legion

For the next week or two, Disney NEEDS to market Aladdin based on that audience score. They have pure gold in terms of the general public and they need to take advantage of that just enough to get it past the release of SLOP2 (whose marketing is just useless-I have NO idea what that movie is even about except animals doing stupid things). 

Turn the tables. Have ads with "audiences everywhere have spoken! With 93% on rotten tomatoes, Aladdin is a certified smash and joy!". Instead of saying what critics have said, showcase what audiences have said. This will give it great legs in June.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, jedijake said:

For the next week or two, Disney NEEDS to market Aladdin based on that audience score. They have pure gold in terms of the general public and they need to take advantage of that just enough to get it past the release of SLOP2 (whose marketing is just useless-I have NO idea what that movie is even about except animals doing stupid things). 

Turn the tables. Have ads with "audiences everywhere have spoken! With 93% on rotten tomatoes, Aladdin is a certified smash and joy!". Instead of saying what critics have said, showcase what audiences have said. This will give it great legs in June.

I don't believe Rotten Tomatoes allows that and plus it's super tacky.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TMP said:

lol

steve harvey wtf GIF

I did see some calls for a Jasmine focused sequel as most people liked her character, but a live-action universe would be ridiculous. That it’s a reporter suggesting this is funny though. Don’t give Disney such ideas!

Edited by Deja23

Wouldn't be surprised if this movie drops less than 50% next week (from the 3-day total that is) and about 50% from the 4-day. Jungle Book, BatB, and Wonder Woman all did that. The reason I threw WW in there is because it opened similarly to JB and had a good response. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

Kind of a mess. The guy who played Aladdin had real Dave Franco energy. lol that new song didn’t fit in with the rest of the soundtrack at all and the sequence was... random.

I also thought it was hilarious how 

Spoiler

after the guard turns on Jafar because of Jasmine's speech, it makes it seem like the wish to become Sultan basically amounted to swapping hats. Is.... is that how power works in Agrabah?

The execution of practically everything in the movie is off like that. The problems with the film aren't it regurgitating the original, it's that they're all funhouse mirror versions: contorted, twisted, and borderline nonsensical.

• Like 2

I am happy for Will Smith that its doing much better than Tracking. I wish this was released next year when we dont have a uber blockbuster. Could have done something like 350m Dom/ 650m OS and 1B WW. Now its going to look at 600m WW. Still a successful BO run which will be enhanced by good run at Disney+