WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates: Ant-Man 58.04 | Minions 50.24 | Trainwreck 30.24 | IO 11.66 | JW 11.36 (Page 88)

Just throwing my two cents into the piracy thing; I think it's wrong and I'm the only one of my friends who doesn't do it. Although I will admit, if I'm at a friends house are they stream a movie online, I will watch said movie. And I have slipped up a few times, but I won't try and justify anything.

#mortdecai

Pretty much this...

A friend sent me to a link to a.site that he swears by and I've wanted to try it so badly but I've had the self restraint to prevent myself from doing it

Pretty much this...

A friend sent me to a link to a.site that he swears by and I've wanted to try it so badly but I've had the self restraint to prevent myself from doing it

Exactly! My best friend sent me a link to a really good site. I went on and saw literally every movie I want to see on there, but I'm not letting myself watch anything.

Ant-Man

15.8 (-20%)

58.2 OW  (Solid result, not breakout but this was a though sell since the beginning)

Minions

15.3 (-25%)

50.4 WKND  (Rebounded on Sat, still so-so drop. Minions V Inside Out is gonna be fun)

Trainwreck

8.4  (-25%)

30.4  OW  (Fantastic opening mixed with great WOM. 100m+ will happen)

Inside Out

3.8  (-25%)

12.1  WKND  (-31% drop, it will challenge Furious 7 and Minions)

Jurassic World

3.7  (-25%)

11.9  WKND  (-35%, great hold)

Edited by picores
  • Like 4

I think people who decry the studios for making the same shit have no legs to stand on when you don't go out and support the movies that you claim to like.

Like which movies are you talking about? Give examples?

I'm surprised by the strong critical and audience reaction to Trainwreck. The movie is at least 20 minutes longer than it needs to be. Schumer is funny in short YouTube clips but at over 2 hours, I was tired of her. In terms of premise/character, it felt kinda stale, like How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days meets Sex and the City. We've seen it before: the "sexually liberated" NY woman who works at a magazine and writes about her sexperiences. Plus, she didn't feel like a trainwreck. She was just a slut, but otherwise she had it together. And everything was so oversexed. Like the scene with the mom's pic "omg mom had such killer tits and such a tight pussy!" Every single scene was sexualized. It felt try-hard. 

Judd Apatow's handling of the material was better than it deserved. 

Edited by Boogie Nights
  • Like 1

As expected...

Minions 20.5

Ant-Man 19.7-20

TW 11-11.5

IO/JW 5

YAY BAUMER WAS WRONG

Well these numbers are pretty close to what I predicted after Gopher's estimates:

Ant Man

Previews 6.4

Friday 18.0

Saturday 20.5

Sun 16.0

Weekend 61m

Minions

Fri 14.5

Sat 20.5 (+41%) hopefully

Sun 15.0 (-27%)

Weekend 50m

IO

Fri 3.7

Sat 5.0

Sun 3.8

Weekend 12.5m

JW

Fri 3.5

Sat 5.0

Sun 3.5

Weekend 12.0m

It's pretty exciting tussle between IO and JW.

So it seems Friday night business was depressed for some reason and Saturday went back to normal.

• Like 1

5th UPDATE, Saturday 11:54PM: Ant-Man‘s super ability to enlarge isn’t working so well at the box office. After posting an estimated $23.4M on Friday, inclusive of $6.4M Thursday previews, the Marvel superhero fell 18% today for a daily cume of $19.25M. This puts Ant-Man‘s opening between $56M-$58M. Here in Los Angeles and the southwest, there’s been freak thunderstorms. But don’t blame the weather. Given the nature of fanboys to show up in bulk on opening day, the industry projected a down Saturday for Ant-Man, not to mention forecasts on Friday already indicated there was a chance Ant-Man would open under $60M.

In addition, moviegoing was up for the top films Saturday vs. Friday.  Uni’s Minions made an estimated $20M today, up 36% over yesterday. The pic’s second weekend stands at an estimated $49.5M. The studio’s Judd Apatow movie,Trainwreck, which was expected to decline today, actually went up 4% with its weekend take now at $30.15M. In addition, Jurassic World saw a Saturday spike over Friday of 57% while Inside Out was up 50%.

While people were forced off the SoCal beaches today for fear of being struck by lightning, L.A. movie ticket sales were up more than Chicago per one distrib insider. Not to mention, rain drives people into theaters, not away from it.