WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates: Ant-Man 58.04 | Minions 50.24 | Trainwreck 30.24 | IO 11.66 | JW 11.36 (Page 88)

People that said that Avatar's script sucks know jackshit about scriptwriting. Everything is tight as fuck, the 3 acts structure is classic but efficient and everything that is set up got a pay off at some point in the third act unlike JW. What about the Irex camouflage thing and all the superpowers that are brought up at the beginning and never paid off further in the third act of the movie when it's time to put all to good use in the final battle for hence? How about the divorce thing and the cut-away with the parents that is never ever brought up nor resolved in the third act again so why bother with all that bad melodrama if this has no bearing on the characters journey in the end? How about Claire's character portrayed as a shrill and conceited businesswoman who can unload a rifle at point blank on a living pterodactyl while saving the male protagonist's ass and still treated like a damsel in distress and not the badass she is by the nephews and the male protagonist?

I mean tell me Owen's character motivation and arc (Clue: He got none). For what purpose is he petting and training raptors if he's adamantly against training them for military purpose even if he works under the supervision of the head of security bad guy? Introducing elements that don't pay off further in the movie (or worse is at odds with itself) is symptomatic of a bad script by Hollywood standards. You can rag on JC all you want but that guy knows his scriptwriting 101 and how to write archetypal epics that go smoothly and logically from point A to point B whether it be Titanic or Avatar, those movies scripts are tight as fuck and nothing is put in there that doesn't advance the story. Something that is getting lost in blockbusters scriptwriting lately due to random chaos cinema and superficial face value approach.

Edited by MADash Rendar
  • Like 11

That's true. Characters growth means nothing if that character isn't that interesting to start with. And that's why Avatar never clicked with me, Jake was such a boring character that following his journey in Avatar was like watching paint dry in an art gallery.

Titatic>TA>JW>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Avatar.

Jurassic World and The Avengers usage better characters than Avatar :mellow:

Didn't realize until today how much of the international market IO still has to open in. it has a very strange release schedule - literally almost 4 months from first to last rollout.

it hasn't opened yet in alot of the European and Asian markets.

UK/Ireland is next weekend. Japan was this last weekend. Heck Germany and Austria it doesn't open until October 1st.

I guess that is giving Disney alot of time to ramp up WOM. Sort of interesting that IO and Minions largely stayed out of each other's way. IO had a month with Domestic while Minions had over a month in international markets without each other.

Here are territories it still has to open in (or just opened this weekend).

Netherlands 15 July 2015   Spain 17 July 2015   Japan 18 July 2015   UK 19 July 2015 (London) (premiere) Hong Kong 23 July 2015   UK 24 July 2015   Ireland 24 July 2015   Trinidad and Tobago 29 July 2015   Indonesia August 2015   Estonia 7 August 2015   Thailand 12 August 2015   Lithuania 14 August 2015   Philippines 19 August 2015   Georgia 20 August 2015   Cambodia 20 August 2015   Malaysia 20 August 2015   Norway 21 August 2015   Vietnam 21 August 2015   Denmark 27 August 2015   Singapore 27 August 2015   Finland 28 August 2015   Sweden 28 August 2015   China 1 September 2015   Greece 3 September 2015   Italy 16 September 2015   Jordan 24 September 2015   Austria 1 October 2015   Germany 1 October 2015

Edited by RamblinRed
  • Like 1

Avatar's 3D isn't that good tbh. Gravity was a much better experience in IMAX 3D. Avatar was a good cinematic experience as well but it's mainly due to its amazing visuals. I liked it in 2D a lot. Still wasn't even the best sci-fi that year due to its average script. D9 and Moon superior. The score was beautiful, but overall it's overrated, I mean it nearly won the Oscar, thank Lord for THL to intervene.

You sound angry. Avatar is a good movie but far from a masterpiece. There is some god awful dialogue in that supposed masterpiece of a script you're fawning over.

Plus as "tight" or "loose" as the script for Avatar may be, it makes very little difference if I could care less about the characters.

The only thing that sold me on Avatar was the visual splendor of watching it in 3D on a large screen. Once it was out of the theater, it lost any appeal to me.

• Like 1

Didn't realize until today how much of the international market IO still has to open in. it has a very strange release schedule - literally almost 4 months from first to last rollout.

it hasn't opened yet in alot of the European and Asian markets.

UK/Ireland is next weekend. Japan was this last weekend. Heck Germany and Austria it doesn't open until October 1st.

I guess that is giving Disney alot of time to ramp up WOM. Sort of interesting that IO and Minions largely stayed out of each other's way. IO had a month with Domestic while Minions had over a month in international markets without each other.

Here are territories it still has to open in (or just opened this weekend).

Netherlands 15 July 2015   Spain 17 July 2015   Japan 18 July 2015   UK 19 July 2015 (London) (premiere) Hong Kong 23 July 2015   UK 24 July 2015   Ireland 24 July 2015   Trinidad and Tobago 29 July 2015   Indonesia August 2015   Estonia 7 August 2015   Thailand 12 August 2015   Lithuania 14 August 2015   Philippines 19 August 2015   Georgia 20 August 2015   Cambodia 20 August 2015   Malaysia 20 August 2015   Norway 21 August 2015   Vietnam 21 August 2015   Denmark 27 August 2015   Singapore 27 August 2015   Finland 28 August 2015   Sweden 28 August 2015   China 1 September 2015   Greece 3 September 2015   Italy 16 September 2015   Jordan 24 September 2015   Austria 1 October 2015   Germany 1 October 2015

I hate that fact and unfortunately it's not uncommon at all with animated movies, especially Pixar films, to be released here pretty late. Same with Finding Dory, which won't open here until late September next year. :(

You sound angry. Avatar is a good movie but far from a masterpiece. There is some god awful dialogue in that supposed masterpiece of a script you're fawning over.

Some people might say dialogue doesn't matter.

Jurassic World is a better movie than the 3 films ahead of it on the all-time list. 

Vehemently disagree... except maybe TA (I didn't like that either and only went to take my niece and be a good uncle). My then 14 year old niece thought it was alright but complained that she felt the movie was't cool enough to justify not making sense. She said at the time that she thought more superheroes would've made it better because the movie should just be about having as many cool characters do as many cool things as possible while still being funny.  :bash:

I think Titanic and Avatar are better movies than people care to admit these days. Didn't love them, but they engaging and well-made. I remember many people seeing Titanic because they just wanted to see what the most expensive movie and possible next Water World bomb looked like only to come out thinking how impressive the whole thing went down (no pun intended).

I got dragged to Avatar by friends expecting an incredibly hokey romp featuring Smurfy cat aliens, and my expectations were way exceeded to find an engaging movie that I didn't think possible from the previews. I won't ever underestimate James Cameron again. That guy really has earned his reputation as a great story-teller/action director, and love him or hate him, expect well-made movies. Now that I think about it about, I saw The Abyss, T2, True Lies, Titanic, and Avatar twice in the theaters (and that probably would've applied to Terminator and Aliens if I were old enough). It's a shame that it increasingly seems like a huge ask for a big budget movie to value coherency/believability/plot (even if cliche and saccharin) over pure spectacle-oriented cash grabs.

Perhaps because I was never infatuated with JP, but the whole dinosaur thing just doesn't do it for me. It's probably telling that I remember—as a kid, more eagerly anticipating the other Michael Crichton adaptation released that summer (I did end up liking JP better though). The mere presence of dinosaurs in JW cannot justify what was a financially-brilliant studio move that a nostalgia-fueled, Spielberg imitation — never mind the nonsensical plot developments and character decisions (or frankly, the script) — would be enough to become a cash cow as long as it ended with an epic dino battle.

A side anecdote, I told my mother elderly mother the Thursday before Mad Max: Fury Road was to leave our local theater that I was seeing the last matinee, and she asked if she could come along. I told her I didn't think she would enjoy the movie, but she really wanted to come. After I picked her up, she tried to talk me into seeing Love and Mercy instead, but I finally agreed I would see JW with her after MM:FR because she wanted to see what all the neighbors and everyone on TV was talking about. The first thing she said, almost verbatim, after JW ended was,"I never would've thought that Mad Max would be the good movie and the Dinosaur movie the bad one. I mean so much of it made so little sense. Where did that kid get those matches? I guess it really is all about the dinosaurs for some people." To me, that pretty much summed up everything about JW when my mother, who loves JP, thought Mad Max was better, entertaining, and made more sense. 

TL;DR No, with possibly the exception of TA.

• Like 1

Avatar's 3D isn't that good tbh. Gravity was a much better experience in IMAX 3D. Avatar was a good cinematic experience as well but it's mainly due to its amazing visuals. I liked it in 2D a lot. Still wasn't even the best sci-fi that year due to its average script. D9 and Moon superior. The score was beautiful, but overall it's overrated, I mean it nearly won the Oscar, thank Lord for THL to intervene.

I own both on 3d blueray and can tell you that you're wrong. The 3d is more noticeable in Avatar, has more depth

Also THL was under serving of its win, especially going up against the likes of IG and D9

Edited by jessie

Why are spoilers being discussed here?

I haven't seen JW yet. Can you just talk about it in the respective threads and not weekend numbers.

Thanks.

As far as I'm aware the statute of limitations is up on this forum as far as JW spoilers go. You can even discuss Genysis spoilers if you're inexplicably inclined.

Edited by Hatebox

Why are spoilers being discussed here?

I haven't seen JW yet. Can you just talk about it in the respective threads and not weekend numbers.

Thanks.

Given your comments on other movies here, I would say you aren't missing much with JP4. Probably not up your alley.

All This Avatar hate is quite upsetting

I don't hate the film. It has plenty of entertainment value and Cameron proves once again he is the best action director in the world. I'd give it about a 8/10. I wish I could have seen it in 2D IMAX instead of a regular 3D screen.