WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates: Ant-Man 58.04 | Minions 50.24 | Trainwreck 30.24 | IO 11.66 | JW 11.36 (Page 88)

@ScottMendelson: You know, on paper Judy Greer had a pretty great 2015...

:rofl:

Tomorrowland, Jurassic World, Ant-Man and Entourage. Join that Dawn of the Planet of the Apes last year...

Does anyone know of any PG13 movies where the characters openly smoked weed? Like characters passing a joint?

Might strongly depend on which country.

E.g. here in Germany Up in Smoke is since 2013 declared as an at least 12 years old movie (in the past it had a higher / older regulation).

That means if the cinema does offer that possibility and a child is accompanied by a parent / adult legal guardian (NOT any other adult), than a child at least 6years old can watch it. Or has to be really at least 12y to watch it (legally binding, cinema pays fine, if ignoring it, repeat offenders get problems)

I think you guys are discounting how much Universal spent on marketing for Minions. I bet overall budgets are much closer than you guys think.

Please, inform yourself before posting.

Thx.

:)

• Like 1

I think you guys are discounting how much Universal spent on marketing for Minions. I bet overall budgets are much closer than you guys think.

It's been discussed here several times - Uni did not spend extra on the film, tie-ins allows sponsors to pay to get the Minions on their products

One other thing, obviously this is a win for Universal short term, but I think the product not matching the insane marketing and hype for this movie has hurt the franchise long term. DM3 will be down from this and unless early word of mouth is very good, it will struggle to get to 300, which I've already stated that I hate because of the huge investment Universal has mad in the parks with this franchise.

One other thing, obviously this is a win for Universal short term, but I think the product not matching the insane marketing and hype for this movie has hurt the franchise long term. DM3 will be down from this and unless early word of mouth is very good, it will struggle to get to 300, which I've already stated that I hate because of the huge investment Universal has mad in the parks with this franchise.

You could be right, but DM is one of the most popular franchises out there, and it won't be a spinoff. Even if you think the yellow guys are the most loved part of the DM franchise, they aren't the only reason why people really like it. Minions will pretty easily get to 300, so I think a real sequel will get there too.

• Like 1

No, we know how much product tie-in was covered, but had heard that Universal also spent a record amount for them on marketing budget from an industry insider on another site. If you guys have knowledge that this isn't true I would like to here it. Thanks for any response.

Futurist, I appreciate the advice, but my grandpa always taught me to worry about YOURSELF. Let me pass that on to you. Thx. :-)

The most satisfying part of JW was at the end when me and my friend looked at each other wide-eyed for like the first half minute of credits, and he says, 'well, that was shit.' A godawful film that ended with a great theater memory for me.

Anywho...

Ant-Man 15.2

Minions 14.6

Trainwreck 8.6

IO 3.7

JW 3.6

I guess IO and JW died in the WC last night?

• Like 1

Jayhawk, you could very well be right, but my opinion really has to do with the extreme hype and excitement built up for the movie, more than the mediocre reviews and poor WOM. When product doesn't live up to the hype, there is ALWAYS an effect. I do however think that really good early mouth for DM3 could regenerate big excitement and hype. COULD!!!

Let me clarify that I am in no way rooting against this movie or franchise.

Also structure is the most important thing in a screenplay

Absolutely. Why I need an insanely detailed outline before ever opening Final Draft. God bless folks who can start without one but I need to know every scene. I need to see the entire structure and flow of the story.

• Like 3

-57.4% for Minions. Shrek the Third did -56.4% on a holiday weekend, Cars 2 did -60.3% against the third Transformers (good call, Disney). 

This installment is obviously making a killing, but I think Uni stabbed their golden goose a bit this summer. Domestic auds don't seem to like this one too much. I'd expect DM3 to tumble quite a lot, much like the fourth Shrek. 

• Like 1

Never heard of Judy Greer before this year. Probably the same for most people. She should consider herself lucky

Isn't she the suicide planing girl in What Women Want? I remember to 'have had' to see it with a friend (and I am sooo not into romace comedies, I really hate that genre)

So AntMan will come in under estimates?

Depends on which estimate, I've seen all from $55m up to.... and I only just started to look closer. Or did you mean the Disney estimate?