Totem

Films that you think critics got wrong

I can't even begin to start. Critics get most films wrong. They can't enjoy movies. They see too many of them and they are there to be critical. Plus their minds are corrupted because when they hear that "movie A is getting oscar buzz" or something of that nature, they then feel pressure to see the brilliance of it even though they might not really think it.

This is ridiculous.

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

What? It's one of the best reviewed movies of 2011 on Metacritic.

This is ridiculous.What? It's one of the best reviewed movies of 2011 on Metacritic.

It's far from ridiculous. Critics are out of touch with what the paying public likes. They always have been and they continue to prove it with every film they review.

Critics aren't a collective entity. Like everyone here, each of them has a unique set of likes/dislikes, genres they appreciate or just don't get, etc. Many of them dont necessarily have a big geek background, which might explain some of the dismissive attitudes towards some geek-friendly genres, but that's really changed too in recent years.I think critics can be very valuable for any number of reasons, not because I agree with them (many times I don't), but because after getting familiar with their opinions I can get a sense of whether I'll like a movie or not, based on how closely their opinions tend to match mine (or oppose them). And, depending on the critic, sometimes I'll read them to actually gain some insight into a movie (although these tend to be longer-form critical essays than a straight review, usually).But of course I think they can be wildly wrong sometimes. :P

It's far from ridiculous. Critics are out of touch with what the paying public likes. They always have been and they continue to prove it with every film they review.

I think a lot of reviews from good critics are far more interesting than the movies they talk about. I think you have an incredibly small minded view of film criticism. I don't know why you hold films to such low expectations.

Critics should not take into account what the general public likes, because if they did, their review would be no more valuable than average Joe's opinion. Critics' job is to use their knowledge and experience to analyze each aspect of the movie they see and not just say, whether it's "durr, fun" or not. So if their ratings don't correspond with masses' reception, it doesn't necessarily invalidate them.If you don't care about the movie as a sum of its parts, if nice action setpieces or some funny scenes are enough to satisfy you, well, no one forces you to listen to the critics. But some people need more than that. I, for one, could never find a Transformers movie entertaining, due to cringeworthy "humor", dumb characters, nonsensical plot and just overall trying to appeal to braindead teens at every turn. So no matter how many exploshuns, fights, car chases, special effects or whatever Bay manages to stuff into them, those flicks always fail to appeal to me, even though I like action, car chases and even an occasional explosion. That's why I find critics' insight helpful.Then again, obviously they aren't always right. Inception, for instance, was massively overrated, imo.

I hate to say this but Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2. Now don't get me wrong. I think it was a great film, one of the best of the series. However I think that it was slightly overrated compared to the rave reviews it was getting. Also I didn't get the hype around The King's Speech. It literally put me to sleep, and it definitely disappointed me.

Edited by Metta World Peace

Sorcerer's Stone: 80%. It deserved 85%.Chamber of Secrets: 83%. It deserved 70%.Prisoner of Azkaban: 91%. It deserved 95%.Goblet of Fire: 87%. It deserved 65-70%.Order of the Phoenix: 78%. Deserves what it got.Half-Blood Prince: 83%. Deserved what it got.Deathly Hallows 1: 79%. Deserved 95%.Deathly Hallows 2: 96%. Deserved what it got.

Sorcerer's Stone: 80%. It deserved 85%.

Chamber of Secrets: 83%. It deserved 70%.

Prisoner of Azkaban: 91%. It deserved 95%.

Goblet of Fire: 87%. It deserved 65-70%.

Order of the Phoenix: 78%. Deserves what it got.

Half-Blood Prince: 83%. Deserved what it got.

Deathly Hallows 1: 79%. Deserved 95%.

Deathly Hallows 2: 96%. Deserved what it got.

:o:rolleyes::angry:

I had no idea the RT score for DH1 was so "low". That's a shame.

Does anyone else think RT became rather repetitive with the consensus of the last three Potter films?HBP: "Dark, thrilling, and occasionally quite funny, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince is also visually stunning and emotionally satisfying."DH1: "It can't help but feel like the prelude it is, but Deathly Hallows Part 1 is a beautifully filmed, emotionally satisfying penultimate installment for the Harry Potter series."DH2: "Thrilling, powerfully acted, and visually dazzling, Deathly Hallows Part 2 brings the Harry Potter franchise to a satisfying - and suitably magical - conclusion."I think DH1's should change, and I don't like how thrilling is used to describe both HBP and DH2.

Edited by Noctis