Totem

Films that you think critics got wrong

Basically any fun film really. I can't imagine how pissed off I would have been if The Expendables had had an extra hour of heartfelt dialogue and back story to each character that revealed their inner torment and how all the fighting was really a metaphor for love or something.More specifically:Van Wilder: Party LiasonEurotripI felt both of these films had a lot of heart to them for what were films that I watched purely because I had no other option.Lost in TranslationBiggest pile of arse I'd watched in a long long time.

So I don't know where all this "critics are elitists who hate fun movies" nonsense comes from.

It's just the easiest go-to reaction to an enjoyable movie getting weak reviews. And I agree that it's a poor defense because on top of being a huge oversimplification, it also veers away from discussing the movie or the specific points that are being made about it.I don't get why some people get so worked up over critics getting a movie "right" or "wrong." If there's some consensus they have to adhere to with any given movie, what's the point of criticism?

It's just the easiest go-to reaction to an enjoyable movie getting weak reviews. And I agree that it's a poor defense because on top of being a huge oversimplification, it also veers away from discussing the movie or the specific points that are being made about it.I don't get why some people get so worked up over critics getting a movie "right" or "wrong." If there's some consensus they have to adhere to with any given movie, what's the point of criticism?

But it's criticising the right things which is important. There are some films where a lack of plot or charactor developement is a plus not a minus.It's not saying that every silly comedy or explosion filled action film has to be acclaimed but a film should be judged on what its trying to achieve and upon the audience it is targeting.I am not opposed to a critic hating a trashy or shallow film, but criticising a deliberately shallow film for being shallow is like criticising the beatles for their lacking the style of classical music.
  • Like 2

13th Warrior is one of the greatest action movies ever made, even the watered-down, over-cooked version turned in by Crichton after John McTiernan got the boot. There are some brilliant sequences, a rousing score by Jerry Goldsmith, and best of all, you get to spend a couple hours with a bunch of badass Viking warriors realized perfectly by their respective actors.

• Like 2

There are so many!Argo - solid film but 95%?Skyfall - solid film but 91%?Looper - solid film but 94%?The Sessions - mediocre film with funny performance by Hawkes but 95%? Really?Trouble with the Curve - great film with great performance by Adams and Eastwood but 55% rotten? Really?End of Watch - Decent film that has the most emotionally manipulative ending this side of In the Valley of Elah. 86% really?The Intouchables - Absolutely astounding film at only 76%? Really?Avengers - Predictable movie that only ramped up the special fx sits at 92%? Really? Beasts of Southern Wild - A bunch of unlikeable poor people speak in unintelligible dialect at 86%? ReallyI could keep going but I will stop myself for now.

Y'all are way too focused on Rotten Tomatoes scores, which literally say nothing more about a movie than "x% of these critics liked this movie."And to address another point from the thread: Yes, I get that some movies are meant to be "fun" and shallow, but just because they try to do so doesn't necessarily mean they're effective in that aim. And while there are some critics who will attack say, The Expendables movies, for lacking substance (a pretty pointless criticism, I agree), there are quite a few others who will attack it because they simply don't think it's much fun.

Y'all are way too focused on Rotten Tomatoes scores, which literally say nothing more about a movie than "x% of these critics liked this movie."

Exactly. If RT is to be cited, at least use the average rating rather than the binary percentage. As for my pick... I thought Juno was awful, but at the same time I'm not surprised critics bought into it. Edited by Hatebox

Hannibal came on a few days ago and I haven't seen that in a LONG time. I thought it was good. I don't really understand the bad reviews it got. Is it as good as Silence of the Lambs? Of course not, but that certainly doesn't make it a bad a movie on its own merits. I think the absence of Jodie Foster might be largely responsible for that.I'd give it a B+

The Usual Suspects (one of the most overrated movies)Avatar (should be around 40% on RT)Avengers (should be around 75% on RT)Iron Man (should be around 75% on RT)Iron Man 2 ( should be rotten)Captain America (should be rotten)The Artist (Should be around 20% on RT)Looper ( should be in the low 80%)Harry Potter: Order of the Phoenix (Should be rotten)Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince (Should be rotten)Brave (Should be in the 90% on RT)RicknRolla (should be around 75%)Amazing Spider Man (Should be rotten)Spider Man 3 ( Should be at 20% on RT)

Anchorman should be 100%I think what people are forgetting is that there are "good" bad movies and "bad" bad movies. The former are movies that know they're bad and have fun with it, so they usually get rated fresh even though audiences dismiss them. The latter don't know they're bad movies, so critics hate them while undemanding audiences enjoy them. That's why we see a split between critics and audiences' opinions. For example.Good bad movieBad bad movieGood bad movieBad bad movie

• Like 2

The Usual Suspects (one of the most overrated movies)Avatar (should be around 40% on RT)Avengers (should be around 75% on RT)Iron Man (should be around 75% on RT)Iron Man 2 ( should be rotten)Captain America (should be rotten)The Artist (Should be around 20% on RT)Looper ( should be in the low 80%)Harry Potter: Order of the Phoenix (Should be rotten)Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince (Should be rotten)Brave (Should be in the 90% on RT)RicknRolla (should be around 75%)Amazing Spider Man (Should be rotten)Spider Man 3 ( Should be at 20% on RT)

?

Pixar's worst film... it and Cars 2 should switch places on RT