Totem

Films that you think critics got wrong

Isn't that the point of being a movie critic? Their entire work is based around watching movies from every genre and for every demographic while analyzing them professionally.

Movies are not there to solve hunger problems or fix the economy. Movies are there to entertain. Don't believe me? Watch Hugo and see the root of film. They are a diversion so that we can smile and laugh and enjoy two hours away from our own mundane lives. I'm not sure who gave critics the right to tell us that films are not meant to entertain. They look for something completely different. They don't know how to enjoy a film. So often I see reviews that tell us that even though they caught themselves laughing, the film is far too silly to be considered good. Excuse me? If you go to a comedy and you laugh, that is exactly the point. I Love Lucy wasn't exactly sophisticated comedy, nor was Jerry Lewis but they were funny as hell. This is what critics forget. The reason Adam Sandlers of the world continue selling films to a mass audience is because they know what most people want, and that is to be entertained, not to be wowed by what lens they use during the mountain climbing scene.
  • Like 1

Movies are not there to solve hunger problems or fix the economy. Movies are there to entertain. Don't believe me? Watch Hugo and see the root of film. They are a diversion so that we can smile and laugh and enjoy two hours away from our own mundane lives. I'm not sure who gave critics the right to tell us that films are not meant to entertain. They look for something completely different. They don't know how to enjoy a film. So often I see reviews that tell us that even though they caught themselves laughing, the film is far too silly to be considered good. Excuse me? If you go to a comedy and you laugh, that is exactly the point. I Love Lucy wasn't exactly sophisticated comedy, nor was Jerry Lewis but they were funny as hell. This is what critics forget. The reason Adam Sandlers of the world continue selling films to a mass audience is because they know what most people want, and that is to be entertained, not to be wowed by what lens they use during the mountain climbing scene.

What you initially say is true, but please, critics do not all share a collective sheep brain which they tap from when writing reviews. You act as if your view is superior over theirs, which is evidently not true. You often say "Don't judge until you've seen it" and since they have seen more movies than you, surely that counts for something. I'm not sure what the comparison of Adam Sandler and mountain lenses have to do with anything given that critics rate comedies well too, look at the orgasms over Bridesmaids. You just like a lot of crap that you feel is misjudged by critics but that doesn't support the view they are all stuffed.

I think all these films are underrated by critics- Angels and Demons, Sucker Punch, Happy Feet Two, Terminator Salvation, Transformers 3, Friday the 13th (2009), Scream 3, Scream 4, Alice in Wonderland, Da Vinci Code, Courageous, The Thing (2011), The Chronicle of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, and AvatarOverrated- The King's Speech, Tangled, Fantastic Mr. Fox, Drag Me to Hell (92% wtf!), Titanic, Milk, Brokeback Mountain, Moneyball, and Juno

Transformers 1. It was a great movie for what it was. A big budget summer action movie with some impressive sequences that didn't abuse the shaky cam for once. It was probably the only time I thought Michael Bay's comedy was good. It also had a coherent plot(whoa!) and a cool villain(whoa!).

Edited by Shpongle

For what it's worth, I enjoyed 30 Minutes Or Less and Due Date more than a lot of other people.But personally, I believe that everyone has their own way and criteria of enjoying movies, including critics. Just because they didn't become giddy about Transformers, doesn't mean that they're corrupted and don't know how to have fun. Maybe they just enjoy certain types of films above others, and there's no problem with that.

Edited by Spaghetti

So often I see reviews that tell us that even though they caught themselves laughing, the film is far too silly to be considered good. Excuse me? If you go to a comedy and you laugh, that is exactly the point.

Well sometimes I laugh during a movie but that doesn't mean I liked it. I would just give the film another half a star.

What you initially say is true, but please, critics do not all share a collective sheep brain which they tap from when writing reviews. You act as if your view is superior over theirs, which is evidently not true. You often say "Don't judge until you've seen it" and since they have seen more movies than you, surely that counts for something. I'm not sure what the comparison of Adam Sandler and mountain lenses have to do with anything given that critics rate comedies well too, look at the orgasms over Bridesmaids. You just like a lot of crap that you feel is misjudged by critics but that doesn't support the view they are all stuffed.

Well, I stand by my stance. Critics are out to lunch most of the time.

And your stance is ridiculous. It's based on nothing but your own bitterness that they don't like a lot of films you do and vice versa.

No, its based on a fact that critics dont or cant enjoy a movie without analyzing all kinds of things dont mean shit! So you can believe what you want but im right.

I can't even begin to start. Critics get most films wrong. They can't enjoy movies. They see too many of them and they are there to be critical. Plus their minds are corrupted because when they hear that "movie A is getting oscar buzz" or something of that nature, they then feel pressure to see the brilliance of it even though they might not really think it.

Posted Image

As for me, I have a few.Death Sentence - One of my favorite movies of all-time, resides below 20% on the Tomatometer.30 Minutes or Less - I preferred it entirely to Zombieland, got half the Tomatometer.Hulk - Sucked ass.The Incredible Hulk - Kicked ass.Observe and Report - Rogen's best effort and one of his best movies, got mixed reviews.Middle Men - Really competently made movie, had a nice trashy flare to it that reflected the subject matter well.There's plenty more, but that's all for now.

Iron Man 2, Captain America and Fast Five are three films that got great reviews and I don't know why, for me they're just stupid and cliche. Meanwhile, Pirates of Caribbean films get bashed more and more after each sequel, I know the last two films are not very good, but all PoC franchise is much more enjoyable than the 3 films I mentioned.Plus, how come Kung Fu Panda 2 got good reviews while Cars 2 was panned by the critics? For me they both look the same.