Totem

Films that you think critics got wrong

Sorcerer's Stone: 80%. It deserved 85%.Chamber of Secrets: 83%. It deserved 70%.Prisoner of Azkaban: 91%. It deserved 95%.Goblet of Fire: 87%. It deserved 65-70%.Order of the Phoenix: 78%. Deserves what it got.Half-Blood Prince: 83%. Deserved what it got.Deathly Hallows 1: 79%. Deserved 95%.Deathly Hallows 2: 96%. Deserved what it got.

Noctis, this doesn't make much sense. Are you suggesting that a handful of critics should have liked/disliked a certain movie more?This is sort of what I hate about RT. It's too black and white.

If we are talking about critics on rottemtomatoes, well I'm surprised none of you mentioned Titanic yet. It got the most Oscars, and made the most money. But it wasn't so loved by the critics.But of cause it's not even a fair comparison in thr 1st place, cause we're talking about 5000 judges vs. 100 critics LOL

Edited by vc2002

The percentage in RT is black and white, but the average rating isn't.

That's bullshit, in that case why does DH2 have an average rating of 8.6 while Fellowship of the ring only have 8.1 yet FOTR is arguably better.A critic review can still give a film 9 out of 10 for being extremely entertaining then give another 9 out of 10 for being a masterpiece. I don't remember the word masterpiece being used much by critics to describe any Potter film.

The percentage in RT is black and white, but the average rating isn't.

That's why we have metacritic, which provides a more effective depiction of what major film critics feel about a film. Going on Jessie's point, the LOTR films are rated 92, 88, and 94 respectively on metacritic. By comparison the Potter movies are respectively rated 64, 63, 82, 81, 71, 78, 65, 87.

Metacritic isn't flawless. Besides, if we're going to include the major critics, then using the Top Critics is also fine. DH2 has an 8.7 rating there (and using that system, it actually excluded some of the A's it got). I never understood DH1 getting 65 on Metacritic. Also, pity about HBP. It was two points away from getting universal acclaim.

That's why we have metacritic, which provides a more effective depiction of what major film critics feel about a film. Going on Jessie's point, the LOTR films are rated 92, 88, and 94 respectively on metacritic. By comparison the Potter movies are respectively rated 64, 63, 82, 81, 71, 78, 65, 87.

Metacritic's sample size is usually far lower than RT's even discounting the reviews without a rating.

Metacritic's sample size is usually far lower than RT's even discounting the reviews without a rating.

Because metacritic throws out the bloggers and small-time reviewers who populate a lot of RT's base. Their sample size has a higher proportion of credible reviewers and writers.
  • Like 1

Because metacritic throws out the bloggers and small-time reviewers who populate a lot of RT's base. Their sample size has a higher proportion of credible reviewers and writers.

Any reviewer who writes well enough to get on RT is credible. And they're usually more in line with public opinion.I mean, Inglourious Basterds only has a 69 on Metacritic but a 7.6 on RT. Edited by tribefan695

You put way too much stock on Metacritic. I don't mean to sound accusatory, but RT can be very telling as well, when they have the average rating. Also, if we're going by JUST the top critics (used in RT), DH2's 8.7 actually beats all the LoTR films.