Totem

Films that you think critics got wrong

I watched Tower Heist the other week expecting a good film, nothing mind blowing after reading the pretty good reviews for it.One of the most boring films I've ever watched. I think they got it wrong, if I was to guess a RT score for it after watching it I would have said something around 30%

I got a lot:2012, Angels and Demons, Battle: LA, Bruno, Captain America, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, Despicable Me, Due Date, Grown Ups, Indiana Jones 4, Limitless, Predators, Rango, Rise of the Apes, Super 8, Terminator Salvation, The Book of Eli, Hangover 2, The Hurt Locker, Thor, Transformers 3, Vantage Point and Wanted.

Edited by bigm10

^Those look like a mix of good and bad, so I assume opposite for all? We have extremely different tastes then because I despised a lot of those films and believe they were correctly bashed by critics.I'm going with Dead Man's Chest. I absolutely love watching it. Such good fun and yet critically smashed. AWE was boring and long but DMC, IMO is the definition of what a summer blockbuster should be.edit: I couldn't help but expand:2012: Not engaging in the slightest, great set pieces but nowhere near my favourite disaster movie TDAT.A&D: Boring, better production value and performances than DVC but that's not saying much.BLA: I rate it better than critics do because it's slightly unconventional but even with aliens and at attempt at drama it can't compete with Black Hawk Down.Bruno: Never saw it, looks atrocious.CA: Ridiculously overrated movie. Competes with IM2 for worst of the current Marvel series. Falls apart after the lovely 1940s American setting.CWACOM: A good surprise in animation. Inventive, fresh and gleefully enjoyable.DM: Not as good as the rating says, but still a joyful movie.DD: Horrifically boring. Terrible characters. Too bad it still managed to cross 100m.GU: Unfunny throughout despite the entire Sandler gang being present. Disappointing.IJ4: That ending. Fuck.Limitless: Deux es machina ending but still, I loved the direction and the script and performances were generally strong.Predators: Don't know the rating but I enjoyed this as solid, brainless fun. Much better than the bullshit AVP.Rango: Slightly overrated but the last third of the movie, which people criticize, is so WIN. Love the philosophical bits.ROTA: A thinking blockbuster. Not as fun per se, but a great addition to a niche that needs to be filled more often.S8: Loved, loved, loved it. Wonderful performances and has an air of innocence and period that smears its flaws.TS: Boring, noisy, nonsensical. Could be the most disappointing flick of 09.BOE: Haven't seen it in full, but the parts I did see, didn't really flow as a movie.TH2: Haven't seen, but Hangover was so overrated if it was a remake, then I wouldn't have liked it either.THL: Not seen.Thor: Not a great superhero movie, but passable, certainly better than the turd that was Captain America.TF3: I loved TF2, let's get that out of the way, this was awful. Sagging storyline, tired performances, noisy.VP: Got worse as the movie progressed.Wanted: Doesn't hold up but for a first viewing was pretty awesome.

Edited by BK007

I can't even begin to start. Critics get most films wrong. They can't enjoy movies. They see too many of them and they are there to be critical. Plus their minds are corrupted because when they hear that "movie A is getting oscar buzz" or something of that nature, they then feel pressure to see the brilliance of it even though they might not really think it.

I'll be doing th e major blockbusters.

Too high:

DMC: 54% is nothing to write home about, but DMC is by far the worst of the Pirates and so utterly boring. Aside from a few scenes + Davy Jones, this film was a gigantic mess (the cannibal island sequence was appalling). It deserved somewhere around 30-40%.

TPM/AoTC: They both have 61% and 65% on RT (but, thankfully, 40% each with the Top Critics). The first is one of the worst blockbusters ever made and so mind-boggingly childish and stupid. Terrible acting, horrible dialogue, and a ridiculous storyline. The latter is an improvement, but it features one of the worst acting I've ever seen on film. Plus, massive WTF at how calm Padme was and justified Anakin's actions when he murdered everyone on wherever his mother was. TPM deserved maybe 10% and AoTC around 40%.

ANH: Boring, bland, and forgettable. Deserved 60%.

RoTK: Trust me, I do enjoy this film, but it is pales badly when compared to its two predecessors. It's still a good film, but it didn't deserve the acclaim it got. Deserved 80%.

Will continue later, but I have to go.

I don't know if a critic has ever been "wrong" But times I disagreed with critics are - The Transformers movies, the Pirates movies, that last Indy movie, Starship Troopers, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, a couple of the Harry Potter films, Rio, Seven Pounds, the list could go on for ages.

I can't even begin to start. Critics get most films wrong. They can't enjoy movies. They see too many of them and they are there to be critical. Plus their minds are corrupted because when they hear that "movie A is getting oscar buzz" or something of that nature, they then feel pressure to see the brilliance of it even though they might not really think it.

If critics couldn't "enjoy" movies then wouldn't they review all of them negatively? I mean, yeah, I disagree with critics sometimes but I don't think they're some evil collective out to trash some specific movie or praise another one.Anyway, my list:UnknownThe Road to El DoradoPocahontasDolphin TaleHannaFirst Transformers (2nd and 3rd deserve slightly higher T-Meters, but not above rotten)Tinker Tailor Soldier SpyStar Wars Eps 1 and 2Super 8Iron Man 2 (enjoyed it at first, but yeah, it's really a chore to watch on repeat viewings. Maybe that's why it got such a high T-meter)I'm sure there's more I can't think of right now Edited by tribefan695

The Blair Witch ProjectBattle Los Angeles (It's 35% score is too damn high! :angry: )28 Days LaterSpider-Man 3I won't list the Transformers movies because the first one actually was somewhat well-received (68% on top critics is fine by me) and while I enjoy the sequels I can easily see why they would dislike them.

Edited by C00k13

Got to agree with you mighty Baumer, a film has to have a reason for being good other than silly fun for them, which has always irked me. Edited by Schumacher FTW

I have to disagree with you, I find that they get it right most of the time. Edited by lab276

Got to agree with you mighty Baumer, a film has to have a reason for being good other than silly fun for them, which has always irked me.

Yeah, like Star Trek, Iron Man, and MI4And Baumer's hated a few films this year that I would consider "silly fun". What do you call Captain America and Thor? Edited by tribefan695

They see too many of them and they are there to be critical.

Isn't that the point of being a movie critic? Their entire work is based around watching movies from every genre and for every demographic while analyzing them professionally.