grim22

The Emoji Movie | Sony Pictures Animation | July 28 2017 | Reviews coming in, more entertaining to read those than watch the movie. Current consensus: " 🎥 ➡️ 💩💩💩💩"

Everything that I have seen about this movie gives me the impression that it was made by somebody that has never actually had the experience of using a smartphone.

The whole thing is about an emoji with more than one emotion trying to fit in with the others with just one emotion, right? And his quest leads him to mess up this young boys phone, but if your emojis are acting up couldn't you just download some new ones? If your phone starts acting up wouldn't you just reset it? Why would a High 5 emoji be in the prison of unused emojis? What is the Jailbreak emoji meant to be expressing? If these are things that every member of the audience could so easily point out than something is wrong with this movie. 

There's a joke in the film where emoticons are presented as being very old in age, I get what they're trying to say but the observation isn't really one people tend to make. It's as if they're saying emojis are young and hip and emoticons are old and decrepit, but who actually cares? Seriously people use both. Who gives a shit? Why is this joke meant to be funny? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AJG said:

Everything that I have seen about this movie gives me the impression that it was made by somebody that has never actually had the experience of using a smartphone.

The whole thing is about an emoji with more than one emotion trying to fit in with the others with just one emotion, right? And his quest leads him to mess up this young boys phone, but if your emojis are acting up couldn't you just download some new ones? If your phone starts acting up wouldn't you just reset it? Why would a High 5 emoji be in the prison of unused emojis? What is the Jailbreak emoji meant to be expressing? If these are things that every member of the audience could so easily point out than something is wrong with this movie. 

There's a joke in the film where emoticons are presented as being very old in age, I get what they're trying to say but the observation isn't really one people tend to make. It's as if they're saying emojis are young and hip and emoticons are old and decrepit, but who actually cares? Seriously people use both. Who gives a shit? Why is this joke meant to be funny? 

The thing that lost it for me was the eggplant emoji being in the unused prison. Have the producers ever met a college student?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, nick64 said:

The thing that lost it for me was the eggplant emoji being in the unused prison. Have the producers ever met a college student?

Wait they actually have the eggplant emoji in the movie at all???? My god

13 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Wait they actually have the eggplant emoji in the movie at all???? My god

I wonder if 💦 and 😩🍑 will be featured. This movie probably is aimed entirely at kids even though it's better suited for an older audience due to sexting and the fact the kids under 11 shouldn't have a cell phone.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 2

So, on happier Emoji news, for anyone looking to risk the movie, it has now gotten an Atom deal through probably Friday - buy 2 tickets, get 3rd free.  Not as good as Valerian's last week, but if you were pulling the trigger before reviews or b/c you just have to see this, now you can see it cheaper:).

And, there will likely be the "any movie" Fandango Android Pay $ off/ticket code coming soon, but that's not here yet (and isn't a guarantee)...so bird in hand vs 2 in bush:)...

Critic screening of Emoji Movie happening now...

• Haha 1

Edited by Lake