grim22

The Emoji Movie | Sony Pictures Animation | July 28 2017 | Reviews coming in, more entertaining to read those than watch the movie. Current consensus: " 🎥 ➡️ 💩💩💩💩"

Just now, Fancyarcher said:

SPA is just trying to throw at anything at the wall at this point and seeing what sticks.

To me, SPA is just hurting themselves by releasing so many films per year, three this year and four next year although two of the four next year are hybrids. 

15 minutes ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

@Nova Can you tell why this movie is so shit in a non-spoilery way? I don't think anybody cares about spoilers. Is nothing good? Voice acting? I heard score was good.

I'll try my best without posting spoilers. 

Believe it or not this movie had potential. Potential in terms of the story itself because it isn't exactly bad. Like we all know this movie is aimed at kids. So the whole gist is that the meh emoji wants to be more than what he's labeled to be. That's a great message to kids. Be more! Be who you want to be! But as with all movies, it's the execution that matters. For example, when you really think about it, all comic book movies are the same in that they start at point A and try to get to point B....with point A and be B being very similar. But what makes a CBM good and what makes one bad? How they get from point A to point B. 

The Emoji Movie in trying to get from point A to point B falls flat on its face. It's very clear the movie is just a rip off of other films that have told this story. The jokes aren't funny. The story makes no sense from the sense that you really don't give a shit about any of the characters so therefore you just stop paying attention to the story itself. Like we are supposed to care about Gene but the movie never gives us a reason to care. It's like Sony just said here's a guy who wants to be different so like him! The bottom line with this movie in my opinion is that the story tellers for this film made a film that never gives us a reason to become invested in it, This is a film based on emojis and yet it lacks all emotion. You honestly don't feel anything when you walk out. The only thing you want is to have the time you wasted back. 

Its just a very very very lazy movie. It's very obvious that the bare minimum effort went into making this movie. Even the animation for the film looks cheap and sucks. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Dreamworks Animation  until Dragon 2 and the Rihanna movie had some incredible visuals too.

Dragon 2 had amazing visuals too. Dreamworks was in the same category as Disney & Pixar though, in that they spend 100m+ on their films animated in California, and it showed, at least until recently. The new Captain Underpants is the first big example of the studio outsourcing their animation, hence the smaller budget.

4 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

To me, SPA is just hurting themselves by releasing so many films per year, three this year and four next year although two of the four next year are hybrids. 

I just think SPA is releasing so many animated films a year because some of Sony more successful films in the past five years have been animated (Cloudy & Hotel Transylvania for example), so they're trying to profit as much as they can. If their not careful though, they can end up like Dreamworks, especially when the market is already oversaturated with animated films these days, which is much different from Dreamworks Animation, since when that studio started out, at the time, it was the only true competitor for Disney. 

5 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

I just think SPA is releasing so many animated films a year because some of Sony more successful films in the past five years have been animated (Cloudy & Hotel Transylvania for example), so they're trying to profit as much as they can. If their not careful though, they can end up like Dreamworks, especially when the market is already oversaturated with animated films these days, which is much different from Dreamworks Animation, since when that studio started out, at the time, it was the only true competitor for Disney. 

DWA's issue was before they bought by Comcast, they were independent and so an unsuccessful film could hurt them more than another studio which is part of a larger group would have if they released an unsuccessful film plus they were expanding into other areas with mixed success. 

SPA is in danger of falling behind, WAG are making big steps and Paramount are ramping up their animation slate as well, releasing bad to mediocre films on low to moderate budgets isn't going to cut it with audiences anymore when they have other options.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

DWA's issue was before they bought by Comcast, they were independent and so an unsuccessful film could hurt them more than another studio which is part of a larger group would have if they released an unsuccessful film plus they were expanding into other areas with mixed success. 

SPA is in danger of falling behind, WAG are making big steps and Paramount are ramping up their animation slate as well, releasing bad to mediocre films on low to moderate budgets isn't going to cut it with audiences anymore when they have other options.

True dat, they really need to improve their overall quality. They need to take a note from Disney animation / Pixar, and try to make films that appeal to everyone, instead of just shitting out whatever concept they think will make them bucks.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

SPA has a plan in action for 2020, but what if it's too late. I'm sure Spidey will be good thanks to Gods Lord/Miller but the rest can be iffy quality wise. SPA is even making Angry Birds 2 one of their own. 

WAG has potential but they need to learn how to charm both domestic and international audiences. Storks and TLBM did about the same OS, and even though I'm the biggest stanner on here for the Lego franchise I'm concerned about Ninjago and Lego 2.

2 minutes ago, YourMother said:

WAG has potential but they need to learn how to charm both domestic and international audiences. Storks and TLBM did about the same OS, and even though I'm the biggest stanner on here for the Lego franchise I'm concerned about Ninjago and Lego 2.

The humour of Lego Batman and to an extent The Lego Movie was not broad enough IMO hence why they work in markets like the US and UK but not elsewhere but making it more like Minions or SLOP might hurt the brand. Ninjago looks like fun but I think it may not be a big hit OS. 

WAG's biggest asset is the WB animation library hence why we're getting Scooby in 2020 and other Hanna Barbera titles in development, we might even see animated films based on more obscure DC characters. I do hope Smallfoot is a hit as I'd like to see WAG do more original films

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

The humour of Lego Batman and to an extent The Lego Movie was not broad enough IMO hence why they work in markets like the US and UK but not elsewhere but making it more like Minions or SLOP might hurt the brand. Ninjago looks like fun but I think it may not be a big hit OS. 

WAG's biggest asset is the WB animation library hence why we're getting Scooby in 2020 and other Hanna Barbera titles in development, we might even see animated films based on more obscure DC characters. I do hope Smallfoot is a hit as I'd like to see WAG do more original films

But still what if Ninjago does sub $100M and Lego 2 sub $200M domestically it's not good. Scooby has potential though. However I wonder how it'll differentiate itself from the shows and DTV movies like Spongebob did. Smallfoot is in a bad spot domestically, it opens the week before Goosebumps 2.

The hate this movie is getting is quite amusing, especially the critical consensus on RT. I don't know if I should check it out to laugh at its stupidity or for my worst of the year list. Definitely not going to see this in theaters. 

Edited by afalconer7

2 hours ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

COCO, Cars 3, DM3, Captain Underpants ( my favorite movie), Boss baby, this, Star. That's an easy win for coco.

Lol, they could potentially even be doing last minute re-animations and rewrites just to notch that Oscar gold.  The studio people would be calling in everyone for the weekend!