grim22

Cruddy Weekend Estimates: A-M 24.77m, Pix 24m, Minions 22m, Trainwreck 17.2m, Southpaw 16.5m, PT 12.5m,

Marketing campaign has been nuts for SouthPaw in recent weeks (at least for during programs/sites I look at), and considering how hot Gyllenhaal is, and the heavily promoted soundtrack, and the fact that it's the only serious adult drama in wide release this summer (or at least until SOC), I sense a small breakout potential. I'd be curious if it could win the weekend if Pixels and Paper Towns underperform, and it appears they really are. I wonder what it did at previews.

Edited by cmasterclay

Yup, interesting weekend ahead, I can see the top 4 all being separated by 1-2M come Sunday morning estimates.

Same here. Thinking between 23-26m for Paper Towns, Pixels, Ant-Man and Minions.

Oh it's ok for you to do it but when it's someone else you jump down their throat...nice job Ethan.

I didn't jump.down anyone's throat

Its all meant in good jest

Edited by John Green is Life

Marketing campaign has been nuts for SouthPaw in recent weeks (at least for during programs/sites I look at), and considering how hot Gyllenhaal is, and the heavily promoted soundtrack, and the fact that it's the only serious adult drama in wide release this summer (or at least until SOC), I sense a small breakout potential. I'd be curious if it could win the weekend if Pixels and Paper Towns underperform, if they really are. I wonder what it did at previews.

I completely forgot about Southpaw, why don't we have its preview numbers?

• Like 1

Right around where I think most of us thought both films would land, just unfortunately going to be quite dull.  I've said it before but Green will be the Nicholas Sparks of the YA generation in terms of film adaptations.  TFIOS was his Notebook.  It put him on the map and carved out a niche for himself.  While his entire catalog is widely liked, nothing is even close to the popularity of that book.  So I think this, and Looking for Alaska, will both do about 1/3-1/2 of the business of TFIOS, best case.

Edited by RyneOh1040
  • Like 1

Have you seen either? Well... I guess I can assume your statement for Pixels is true.

But...

I haven't seen Pixels yet, but...c'mon. It's a Sandler film that features a pissing Q-bert. 

have had the displeasure of watching Paper Towns, and it's even worse than TFIOS. At least that other film had Woodley and Dafoe giving good performances.

• Like 1

I haven't seen Pixels yet, but...c'mon. It's a Sandler film that features a pissing Q-bert.

I have had the displeasure of watching Paper Towns, and it's even worse than TFIOS. At least that other film had Woodley and Dafoe giving good performances.

Even worse than TFIOS doesn't mean crap since TFIOS is a pure masterpiece

• Like 2

WB could've just left Pan on this weekend. Just saying.

Pixels looked to be a big breakout a few months ago.

Minions might take the weekend now.

Edited by CJohn

I have had the displeasure of watching Paper Towns, and it's even worse than TFIOS. At least that other film had Woodley and Dafoe giving good performances.

I agree with Ethan, if you didn't like TFIOS it just means that you don't like that genre, because it is truly a great film.
  • Like 1