kayumanggi

THE SHALLOWS | 06.24.16 | Sony | final domestic gross: $55,124,043

2 minutes ago, Gumby said:

Wow, Lively is a bit too obnoxiously Leftist for me, so I'm not a huge fan, but that is one harsh article.

She's even attacked for being white, lol.

She's pretty much attacked for merely existing. But I guess it's okay to attack someone for being a blonde white girl now a days. 

1 hour ago, Nova said:

She's pretty much attacked for merely existing. But I guess it's okay to attack someone for being a blonde white girl now a days. 

Dont attack Blake.  Blake is awesome.  Leave her alone!

And I don't want to see Baumer on suicide watch. 

• Like 1

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/jun/23/the-shallows-review-blake-lively-shark-thriller-jaume-collet-serra

Gave it 4/5 stars. Says his screening was filled with the NY "intellectual" critics who were laughing at the cleavage and ass shots in the beginning of the film but then became heavily engaged throughout the film and towards the end. 

The he way this guy describes it, has me super excited for the film. 

He also says that The Shallows is refreshing in a summer filled with sequels. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 2

Posting again because I seriously thought this film was going to get shit on by critics and so far it's not. 

Apparently Blake Lively is really great in the movie and even those who didn't like it say her performance is the best part. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

20M is off limits unless it has insane walkups but it'll beat FSOJ

what is that based on, presales?  This is EXACTLY the kind of film that the younger audience eats up in the summer.  They've been putting the trailers in the right spots and I think its going to pay off and get this in the low 20's.

4 minutes ago, Damianport1 said:

THis is going to surprise many this weekend. Could make even 20M and for sure gonna beat Free State of Jones

$20M won't happen however it'll beat Free State of Jones and over perform. Probably like $14M. However if the reviews remain positive, I can see it having strong legs and having a pretty decent second weekend. And for a film that costs $17M to make, you can't really ask for more than that. 

14 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

Don't know why they waited to screen it. The reviews could have built some nice buzz over the past week.

They, like many studios, have no idea what the critics will and won't like. Granted it's only a few critics thus far and it could still get a rotten score, but as my friend told me from Tuesday's screening, Sony thought it was going to get universally negative reviews for whatever reason. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Nova said:

$20M won't happen however it'll beat Free State of Jones and over perform. Probably like $14M. However if the reviews remain positive, I can see it having strong legs and having a pretty decent second weekend. And for a film that costs $17M to make, you can't really ask for more than that. 

They, like many studios, have no idea what the critics will and won't like. Granted it's only a few critics thus far and it could still get a rotten score, but as my friend told me from Tuesday's screening, Sony thought it was going to get universally negative reviews for whatever reason. 

Well, it's not like they're being wowed either. Metacritic is 57 with 10 reviews.

That said, this is still good.

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Well, it's not like they're being wowed either. Metacritic is 57 with 10 reviews.

That said, this is still good.

7.4/10 on RT. So yea they're not being wowed, however did anyone expect The Shallows to be some artistic masterpiece? I think critics are rating it as it is. A fun popcorn flick with a strong performance by Lively, during a summer that's in need of something different. The question is whether audiences will eat it up or not.

Edited by Nova
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Nova said:

Still seems weird, they might as well have taken the chance. It always looked like a fun summer B-movie, and that seems to be the case judging by the reviews.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, RyneOh1040 said:

what is that based on, presales?  This is EXACTLY the kind of film that the younger audience eats up in the summer.  They've been putting the trailers in the right spots and I think its going to pay off and get this in the low 20's.

Yes. The bar is insanely low to get on MT and even though horror has more walkups this doesn't indicate more than 15M.

1 minute ago, Jayhawk said:

I imagine this will get very good WOM. Hopefully it translates into decent legs. It doesn't need a lot to be a nice sized success.

I think you're right. I also think had Sony had screenings before, it would be doing better in pre-sales. But what can ya do. 

I can't with Grace Randolph though. She's suddenly Blake Lively's biggest fan.