Gopher

Monday #s

Ant-Man    $1,092,833    -54%    2,910    -412    $376    $148,614,824    4    

Thanks for that comparison side-by-side as well!  B)

Can it happen on discount Tuesday? Needs a strong showing, with no calculator in front of me, like 35%-ish increase...yes?

Off hand I don't think it's managed that big of a Discount Tue bump so it really will likely be Wed. 

• Like 1

Never gets old. The sequels however...I like to live in a universe where there were no sequels ever made to these films:

Jaws

Aliens

Predator

Dumb and Dumber

Speed

Halloween

Home Alone

Mortal Kombat

The Matrix

Poltergeist

Robocop

Terminator 2

Transporter

Batman Forever(That includes spinoffs)

Among others...

I find Halloween 2 to be a great follow up. It picks up literally on the same night, it's an extension of the first film at that even!!

• Like 2

Based on preview showtimes, both Compton and UNCLE are looking at a good start on Thursday. Compton has 80 showtimes in OC and UNCLE has 93, in LA Compton has 140 showtimes and UNCLE has 110. Both are tracking almost equal to Mission Impossible, ahead of Fantastic Four, way ahead of Terminator and Pixels and showing good growth in showtimes from yesterday. 

Edited by grim22
  • Like 3

I find Halloween 2 to be a great follow up. It picks up literally on the same night, it's an extension of the first film at that even!!

I think I meant to put Halloween 2 there. I just remember Halloween 3 being like a reboot, and a horrible one.

I thought Jaws 2 was an absolutely worthy sequel.

We can agree to disagree I guess. I still have the Jaws Blu Ray you sent me, but I wouldn't buy Jaws 2 out of a $3 bin. No Spielberg+No Dreyfus+ Rehashed Williams = Meh.

• Like 1

Based on preview showtimes, both Compton and UNCLE are looking at a good start on Thursday. Compton has 80 showtimes in OC and UNCLE has 93, in LA Compton has 140 showtimes and UNCLE has 110. Both are tracking almost equal to Mission Impossible, ahead of Fantastic Four, way ahead of Terminator and Pixels and showing good growth in showtimes from yesterday. 

Hopefully UNCLE won't bomb like most sites are suggesting with a 16M OW. I want at least 25M. 

Never gets old. The sequels however...I like to live in a universe where there were no sequels ever made to these films:

Jaws

Aliens

Predator

Dumb and Dumber

Speed

Halloween

Home Alone

Mortal Kombat

The Matrix

Poltergeist

Robocop

Terminator 2

Transporter

Batman Forever(That includes spinoffs)

Among others...

Home Alone 2 is awesome

• Like 1

Compton will open above 40m, especially after Ferguson. Expecting some trouble as well at certain screenings. The questions of the weekend: Gift above FF and MI5 third weekend above Uncle OW?

I don't understand why people say such things. People go to movies for escapism. Not to remind them of current events

• Like 1

Thanks for that comparison side-by-side as well!  B)

Can it happen on discount Tuesday? Needs a strong showing, with no calculator in front of me, like 35%-ish increase...yes?

Off hand I don't think it's managed that big of a Discount Tue bump so it really will likely be Wed. 

No problem, if you want those done with other movies, only let me know, it takes not a lot of time for up to 6 movies.

As long as all movies to include already have any other comparison at BOM with them it's extremly simpel, if not, then it might look less like the ones at BOM and take a little bit more time.

I think I meant to put Halloween 2 there. I just remember Halloween 3 being like a reboot, and a horrible one.

Halloween 3: Season of the Witch is it's own thing. It could loosely be tied to the saga due to the connections to Samhain in the film I suppose.

Still Halloween 4 is where the series does an overwrite of itself to closer match the rising tide of 80's slasher flicks Friday 13th and NoES. 

I'd be curious to know if any featurettes(sp) or documentaries have ever addressed where the Producers thought they were going with H3:SotW. Cause clearly those in charge thought a different path could/should be taken. As it's own thing I find it enjoyable, it just doesn't fit with the other films with any fluidity. 

Edited by Captain Craig
  • Like 1

The Gift held better than Fantastic Four? Wow! Very good for The Gift. MI5 is doing solid, too.

It's one thing for F4 to suffer a 30%+ Sunday drop after already dropping hard on Saturday, it's another thing to suffer the worst decline in the top 10. 75% drop is in reach with 70%+ drop nearly locked.

Also, with Underdogs being pulled out of the schedule, IO may have a shot at dropping under 30% this weekend if it doesn't lose many theaters like the last two weekends.

Edited by BEEJAYGRAD11

The biggest problem with Halloween III is that it's called Halloween III. I know Carpenter and Hill wanted it to be an anthology series, but then you don't make the second film a direct sequel to the first. (Or were they forced to make a direct sequel?)

Edited by TServo2049

We can agree to disagree I guess. I still have the Jaws Blu Ray you sent me, but I wouldn't buy Jaws 2 out of a $3 bin. No Spielberg+No Dreyfus+ Rehashed Williams = Meh.

Glad you still have it. It's still the best Blu ray I've ever purchased. The transfer is just beautiful. I understand what you're saying about the sequel but I just look at it like we already establish everything in the first one and the second one just goes right for all the horror and the killings lol Edited by baumer

State codes? School dates are decided on the district level.

In VA schools used to go back in August but the theme park owners lobbied the state legislature to make it so that public schools couldn't begin their school years before Labor Day (to get that last bit of summer vacay business on a holiday weekend and to keep their summer work force). Districts can try to get exceptions but schools generally don't begin here until September. Colloquially it's known as the King's Dominion Law, after one of the biggest amusement parks in the state.

I would agree that people don't want to go to the movies to be reminded of racial strife unless there's some sort 'triumph"  or uplift at the end, storywise, commiserate to the amount of suffering that preceded it.

Edited by BoxOfficeChica