CJohn

Official Weekend Estimates: Straigth Outta Compton - 56.1M; The Man From UNCLE - 13.5M; MI5 - 17.3M; Fantastic Four - 8M

True Detective season 2 was fine. It is not nearly as bad as some say. It just got so much backlash because the first season was fantastic. Anyway, where are Gopher and Rth? I am waiting for dat 20M OD for SOC. 

True Detective season 2 was fine. It is not nearly as bad as some say. It just got so much backlash because the first season was fantastic. Anyway, where are Gopher and Rth? I am waiting for dat 20M OD for SOC. 

It'll have a great chance to increase from estimates through the night, noting that the WC should be huge for this.

• Like 3

It'll have a great chance to increase from estimates through the night, noting that the WC should be huge for this.

West Coast is gonna get mad later in the night. 

Henry Cavil needs Superman like Daniel Craig needs Bond.

and I'm not surprised UNCLE is flopping. Period pieces are a hard sell and audiences are extra picky at this stage of the summer season.

The difference is Craig started off with thespian cred via his indies and received raves for his Bond (even if his Bond leaves me personally cold) .  Not the same career trajectory for Cavill at all.   Craig wasn't able to translate that into any box office success outside of Bond and oddly seems to have stopped trying to make any movies between Bond, especially considering how far they're now spaced apart.

But look at all the wonderful gifs it gave us!!

giphy.gif

Maybe not but it aint great.

Anyway...back to number watching

• Like 1

If Uncle does 20 mill is that flopping? Who the hell has even heard of UNCLE

Me, but I watched the part airing of the series then here in my country (only 26 episodes) back in '67 / '68

If it makes ww money it's no flop for me. No idea for now how big the budget is...

Uncle is also the fourth of five major spy movies coming out this year. And the next one is bond. I love spy movies sure, can't get enough, but people were gonna say no to at least one of these fucking things.

The same I also already thought. Including one far more well known at the same time in the cinemas...

Friday’s total for “Straight Outta Compton” looked likely to come in the $18 million to $19 million range with a Friday-Sunday total in the $45 million to $49 million area. That’s more than triple for Friday’s total will be around $5 million for an opening around $15 million.

Warner Bros. is expecting a far more modest launch from “The Man From U.N.C.L.E.,” which stars Henry Cavill, Armie Hammer and Alicia Vikander. The film is set in the 1960s against the backdrop of the Cold War.

The opening estimates range from $15 million to $20 million — a moderate start for a film with a $75 million price tag.

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/straight-outta-compton-box-office-1201570463/

The UNCLE one comes without a  Friday estimate. :P

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 2

Cavill is going to suffer the problem that all actors who play Superman do. Once you get the role, people will only see you as that character.

I'm sure he's not complaining though. If I were offered a healthy sum for a major franchise, I'd accept it too.

Edited by Insidearcher

Uncle's budget according to wiki... $75m

OS it might have a bit of a chance in countries where they aired the TV-series then too...

Wiki says also:

The film was originally set for a January 16, 2015 release.... moved the film's release date back to August 14, 2015

Cavill is going to suffer the problem that all actors who play Superman do. Once you get the role, people will only see you as that character.

I'm sure he's not complaining though. If I were offered a healthy sum for a major franchise, I'd accept it too.

There's only been one really good actor that's played Superman though and he was the one most associated with the role and then had a horrific life altering injury.  Would the others have had careers as successful as they've been without Superman is the question, and on the whole I'd say probably not.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1