CJohn

Uncharted | February 18, 2022 | Trailer on Page 28!

4 hours ago, Lion Roar said:

Dan Murrell surprisingly liked this

He likes pretty much everything, so not really that surprising. Plus, it's not doing THAT poorly on RT, 40% means it's nearly a coin toss whether a critic will like it or not.

Absolutely nuts that David O. Russell was attached to this project. Shawn Levy would've been a great choice.

Edited by Last Man Standing

8 hours ago, BruiseCruise said:

I read that Oppenheimer at 100 mil prod budget needs to make $400 mil to turn a profit and apparently it was the same for Venom 1 (100mil budget as well) so maybe Uncharted is truly at like 450m to make a profit?

It's less about how much total Money they make, It's more about from which countries, they make most money. China's 100m$ gross are way less profitable than Britain's 100m$ gross.

Edited by Shanks
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Is it going to when Batman will kill it in every market in two weeks?

I wasn't counting on some great legs either. Besides it already opened to great numbers last weekend, almost par F9 in the same set of markets, bigger than Venom 2, Eternals and even NTTD in many of them.

It will be around $120M at end of weekend most likely, closing around $275-300M ish and then China taking over.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 2

My show tonight is sold out. Our main TC still does a 75% maximum capacity rule despite not being necessary anymore but that will still be 200-250 people in a single screen. I am ready to get Omicron in my veins.

1 hour ago, Caesar said:

This was a great crowd pleasing movie that even managed to get an applause from my showing, legs are growing to be strong for this, I think it'll make 500-700m worldwide.

Nah...but 400M is starting to look more and more likely at least. Which would be more than enough for a sequel to be approved.

• Like 1

Shouldn't there be a verified audience score out on Rotten Tomatoes right now? It's blank as of this writing, which is weird for a fan-driven movie like this.

59 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

£8.3m first week here in the UK.

For comparison: it took Ghostbusters Afterlife three months to hit £11m. 

Pretty decent haul for such a widely ridiculed project. But comparing it to Ghostbusters 3 is cheating as that brand is virtually nonexistent outside the US, whereas Uncharted is based on a globally popular video game IP and stars Spider-Man fresh off the record breaking No Way Home.

16 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Shouldn't there be a verified audience score out on Rotten Tomatoes right now? It's blank as of this writing, which is weird for a fan-driven movie like this.

Pretty decent haul for such a widely ridiculed project. But comparing it to Ghostbusters 3 is cheating as that brand is virtually nonexistent outside the US, whereas Uncharted is based on a globally popular video game IP and stars Spider-Man fresh off the record breaking No Way Home.

Well, it's Weekend Opening was 10th best in last two years but it performed well from Mon-Thu and got to 6th highest Opening Week of past two years.  

On 2/15/2022 at 4:23 AM, Avatree said:

I enjoyed this. I know nothing about the games, other than that people were pissed off about the casting of the two main characters. It definitely takes a while to stop thinking that it's Spider-man, but by the end Spider-man had completely left my mind.

Both Tom & Mark do their usual shtick but it's charismatic. Same can't be said for the female lead "Chloe". I have no idea what accent she was trying to do. British? Australian? Her nationality changed from line to line, it was amusing.

Also, I think Tom Holland must have demanded in his contract that he must spend minimum 50% of the film with his shirt off.

It's light and fun. Some of the action is ridiculous in a bad way (e.g. the skydiving scene in the trailer, where his feet appear to be gravity boots, completely un believable). Some of the action is ridiculous in an entertaining way, where it completely leans in to its videogame background.

A lot of the film is very by-the-numbers mediocre, but I honestly enjoyed it while it was playing. The last twenty minutes or so was so enjoyable that I'm now going to try the games out.

Way more fun than the new Tomb Raider; it doesn't take itself too seriously.

I will probably have forgotten everything that happened in it by the end of the week, but right now it gets a thumbs up from me.

Also - was surprised by the showing being packed out. Thought this would be DOA.

Won't be topping WARCRAFT that's for sure:sparta:but might actually be a hit?

You should definitely give them a try. They are some of the best games ever with incredible set pieces, puzzles, score, animation and realistic graphics, gameplay  and amazing characters. I would highly suggest playing all of them starting from the 1st even though the 1st and 2nd’s cgi/animation seems a bit dated now. For me they are second only to TLOU in terms of the greatest game ever made. 

On 2/15/2022 at 6:18 AM, AnotherDayAnotherDollar said:

Thanks for the write up.

I would like to see a reaction from someone who actually played the games. When watching the trailer all I could think of was "Not my Drake and Sully" and "I already played this movie". Not to derail too much but that's one of the problem I have with  movie adaptation of video games, which is similar to those old movies -> videogame adaptations that they pulled away from in the more recent years.

I am not a big fan of the casting too tbh. Nathan Filion would have been the best if the movie was made 5 years ago or so. I’ll go see it on Sunday and see how it goes. It’ll be fun I reckon to recognize all the set pieces they have lifted from the game (two of the best ones were already shown in trailer, the plane scene from the 3rd game and the ship scene from the 4th one. Hopefully they have the incredible train sequence from the 2nd game)

3 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

First I've heard of Ghostbusters being an unknown property in the UK, wonder why it got 6 screens opening weekend at my cinema then

• Haha 1