CJohn

Uncharted | February 18, 2022 | Trailer on Page 28!

4 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Pretty decent haul for such a widely ridiculed project

It's just the loud side of the game's fanbase. That's all. The franchise plus Tom Holland will always draw some people to the theater and even a lot of the people that want to hate the movie will watch it. Some older fans of the games wanted Nathan Fillion or someone older than Holland to play Drake...but the truth is, Drake was 31 years old during the first Uncharted game. Tom Holland, who's playing him in a prequel right now is 25. He just has a "baby face" but if they are doing this for a while it totally makes sense to have an actor his age to play Drake. It wouldn't make sense for an actor in his late 40's, early 50's to portray this character in 2022...specially with all the stunts. You can tell Holland did his fair share of them here. Sony is trying to start a franchise here. 

After watching it, the movie has the heart of the games and after so many delays, directors, etc...the movie could've been a much bigger trainwreck than it was. Maybe i just had low expectations but i watched it ready to not enjoy it (and because i'm a fan of the franchise) but i left the theater wanting a sequel even if the movie has its share of problems. 

Edited by TiagoRodrigues
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, TiagoRodrigues said:

Some older fans of the games wanted Nathan Fillion or someone older than Holland to play Drake...but the truth is, Drake was 31 years old during the first Uncharted game. Tom Holland, who's playing him in a prequel right now is 25. He just has a "baby face" but if they are doing this for a while it totally makes sense to have an actor his age to play Drake. It wouldn't make sense for an actor in his late 40's, early 50's to portray this character in 2022...specially with all the stunts.

I think that someone who could have been perfect for the role is Aaron Taylor Johnson. He is only 6 year older than Holland, but looks significantly older.

holland is Critically poison outside of the spiderman franchise. absolutely nothing good. Which leads me to believe he isnt a great actor , too typecast for spidey, and its just Marvel's story excellence for the spiderman and superhero franchises which made them good.

Edited by Halba
  • Haha 1

Ghostbusters is a weak brand outside of english speaking countries. It performs really well in the UK so it is definitly fair to compare its box office performance to Uncharted. 

Edited by CJohn

8 hours ago, Grebacio said:

I think that someone who could have been perfect for the role is Aaron Taylor Johnson. He is only 6 year older than Holland, but looks significantly older.

Aaron Taylor Johnson is boring as rocks. 

He's had this resurgence on twitter recently because he's hot, but everyone forgets about how boring of a lead he was in Godzilla (a movie that I think is good). That stalled his career as a leading man bc studios noticed. 

5 minutes ago, Pinacolada said:

He's had this resurgence on twitter recently because he's hot, but everyone forgets about how boring of a lead he was in Godzilla (a movie that I think is good). That stalled his career as a leading man bc studios noticed. 

TBF almost every character in a Garreth Edwards movie is boring. Elizabeth Olsen in the same movie was bland.

12 minutes ago, Pinacolada said:

I guess it’s ironic that he’s going to be the lead of Sony’s Other franchise launch with Kraven the  Hunter. I wonder how that’s going to look.

1 hour ago, Halba said:

dont put any weight into audience scores on rt. RT is a critical review aggregator.

Not that I'm defending the movie, but this works both ways for critic and audience reviews on RT. Uncharted may have 39%, but that could mean 39% of critics have it 9.5s across the board and the remaining just gave it bad reviews. 100% and 60% could hypothetically have the same average rating.

2 hours ago, Halba said:

don't put any weight into audience scores on rt. RT is a critical review aggregator.

Why not, the Verified Audience Review can only be done by person who bought the ticket for movie. Even, if he is troll at least he contributed to Movie's box office. I would take that score over any random site where any Audience can vote, irrespective of they have seen movie or not.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I am also a bit curious, is it not the only verified viewers system that exist and I imagine one of the most general audience as well ?

Other than Cinemascore, at least I don't know of any other sites or verified system exist for Domestic.

9 hours ago, Halba said:

dont put any weight into audience scores on rt. RT is a critical review aggregator.

Yeah but it also shows average scores.

ATM average verified audience score sits at 4.4 out of 5; while the average for all audiences sits at 4.1 out of 5

this is the problem with almost all video game movies..  You have a set number of fans and if you try to play to the game some people will come away saying it wasnt enough of something..  This movie really tried to find the line between a movie and the video game.. The set pieces were there because they belong there if you played the games.. The stunts were done in a way to pay tribute to the game.   You could throw out some of the stuff and just make a movie but then why call it Uncharted.

its like Bond and the Martini lines. if you have never seen one its a throw away line..

It was really well done to be like the game in real life.   I dont know how you would ever do the over the top stunts of a game in a movie.  In the game you would die 10x doing the stunts until you go thru the section.. Cant do that in the movie so they can only take it so far.

I think most critics complain about movies because they are not what they want to see not because the movie fails.. Like they go want to see a comedy and its a murder mystery and then mark the movie low because there is not enough laughter..

Its a video game adaptation, therefore you have to expect some things will be video gameish and not real lifeish..

On 2/19/2022 at 10:10 PM, Menor Reborn said:

Ok film. Some fun but I never felt fully into it. Not familiar with the games. Still I am surprised by the critic scores being that low, I didn't think it was worse than something like F9 which was 59%.

I never played the games, either.  I enjoyed the film.  It's a good B- film (TONS of action - my boys loved that and gave it an A and A-, while my teen girl said B+).

PS - I know I've been calling Tom Holland the next Tom Cruise on this board...so we walk out of the movie and my daughter says, "So, Tom Holland is trying to be the next Tom Cruise"...and I said "yes":)...She also said that Sony seems to own Tom Holland...and I said that was mutual - they now own each other.

PPS - I will say, I did really enjoy Tom Holland here.  He carries the charismatic fun action well...

• Like 2

On 2/18/2022 at 5:58 PM, TiagoRodrigues said:

It's just the loud side of the game's fanbase. That's all. The franchise plus Tom Holland will always draw some people to the theater and even a lot of the people that want to hate the movie will watch it. Some older fans of the games wanted Nathan Fillion or someone older than Holland to play Drake...but the truth is, Drake was 31 years old during the first Uncharted game. Tom Holland, who's playing him in a prequel right now is 25. He just has a "baby face" but if they are doing this for a while it totally makes sense to have an actor his age to play Drake. It wouldn't make sense for an actor in his late 40's, early 50's to portray this character in 2022...specially with all the stunts. You can tell Holland did his fair share of them here. Sony is trying to start a franchise here. 

I don't really care because this isn't a movie series worth getting worked up over but... Holland will always have a baby-face. There will never be a point where he visually matures into what Drake looks and sounds like in the games.

And that's fine, he's Sony's golden goose right now and he's done his job going by the numbers.