kayumanggi

THE SNOWMAN | 10.20.17 | Universal | Michael Fassbender, Rebecca Ferguson

6 hours ago, That One Guy said:

@EmpireCity do you happen to have any info on how this film turned out to be the massive trainwreck that it is?

Same as fant4stic except that the studio and actors didn't throw their director under the bus to escape responsibility by leaking out information to movie sites and trades. That and the director was not scheduled to take on Starwars.

7 hours ago, grim22 said:

Read a review for this which said that the entire first trailer isn't in the movie. What the hell did they do???

Also, the movie apparently tries to launch a franchise with the final scene according to some twitter comments.

Unless there's a trailer I can't find, this isn't true.

Edited by Boxofficerules

3 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

Same as fant4stic except that the studio and actors didn't throw their director under the bus to escape responsibility by leaking out information to movie sites and trades. That and the director was not scheduled to take on Starwars.

I love every chance you get to throw shade at that movie/at Fox etc :lol:

Yea, it was a shitty ass movie, and I still give you credit for calling that well before it came out. But come on, it's been two years, and I haven't wasted hardly a breath on that POS since I left the theatre. Just forget the thing happened.

Really strong opening OS. Very good in the uk. For example AM opened with 1.3M in the uk. I suspect legs will be shit tho. If this were a good movie, it could have been a nice hit.

Universal and Working Title’s The Snowman kicked off in 27 territories and exits the weekend on $9m. The UK generated $1.9m for third place, this is above the opening of Prisoners. Norway, home of the source material’s author, generated $1.4m for first place in the market. The film had the third-biggest opening day of 2017. Spain generated $1m for fourth place, while Italy generated $11.2m for number two in the market. Argentina generated $187,000 in week one, while Denmark generated $649,000 and Sweden generated $420,000.  The Snowman is set to debut in Australia, Germany, and seven other territories this weekend. 

https://www.screendaily.com/news/blade-runner-2049-grosses-293m-internationally/5123301.article

Edited by Alli
  • Like 2

Of course it's not important for the US box office result what foreign critics mean about a film but maybe it can (a little bit) help interested people to decide if this film is worth a try or not.
The first German reviews are mixed. One (quotenmeter.de) sums them up pretty well: The reviewer criticizes that the film has too many story lines and therefore some details stay unclear, that not all makes sense and that the film partly comes across construed. An extended version would have been a much better plan because with the now released version you can feel that scenes were cut out (fits to the comments above that parts/a full(?) trailer isn't contained in the film).
The positive aspects are that the film has indeed tension and atmosphere, a surprising solution and a great cast. Michael Fassbender's movie character is not very likeable (not helpful at the box office I know) but perfectly fitting into the icy setting. Rebecca Ferguson's figure isn't only the sidekick and also credibly acted. The narrative style is rather calm and sober-minded than dynamic and action packed. The review overall sounds like a 6 or 6.5/10.
Another critic (filmstarts.de) agrees on many items but says Fassbender would be much too fit physically for the role he plays and also too expressionless. Therefor he praises Val Kilmer because his character would carry the passion that the film partly lacks. Overall the filmmakers would have put more effort into excitement than to have figures with depth even if most are well played.

The prediction for Germany is so far 500k total admissions; a really good adaption would have had so much potential. The northern crime fiction and psychological thrillers have a lot of readers/fans here.

Edited by el sid
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

Normally it takes till after release for a director to say "This isn't what I wanted for my movie", at least he was respectful instead of going full Trank.

The rule in the film industry is you can say anything you want about a movie you have worked on or in after the film opens and it's fate at the box office has been decided; but you don't attack a movie before it opens, that is stabbing your co workers and the people who gave you the money to make the movie in the first place in the back. Trank broke that rule, and suffered the consquences.

These reviews are starting to plummet from "Too bad" to "Wow, really bad" all the way to "Wow, I might need to see this shit bad." Some of the descriptions sound hilarious. I thought it was boring bad but the reviews are making it seem more incompetent bad, in which case...