kayumanggi

CHARLIE'S ANGELS | 15 NOVEMBER 2019 | Sony | Elizabeth Banks directing. Kristen Stewart, Naomi Scott, Ella Balinska

3 minutes ago, Mexlouis said:

Read my previous post, this is movie is good and a crowdpleaser unlike MIB and Baywatch. Also modest budget in the 70-90m range, it's going to be a hit  

We will see, the McG movies actually were not big hits in theaters, but maybe did well on home video for Sony. 300m-400m Worldwide seems to be high end. MIB4 in same budget range will do about the same. Even 22 Jumpstreet just did OK numbers.

4 minutes ago, ban1o said:

have you seen it?

No, but I know a ton of movie buff people who did. They were mostly like people here expecting a disaster and not fans of Stewart, they walked out loving it and her in it. They can't wait to watch it again and said the audience erupted in applause twice. 

The movie is pretty funny but not as campy and tacky like the Drew Barrymore movies and the Angels are much better developed as characters in this one, they all agree it's much better than the previous movies. They compared it to Spy but say it's a bit more serious, more action and not as satirical. 

Edited by Mexlouis
  • Haha 1

The way the action scene is cut, do seem to be a bit more from the pre-Raid and co. change, rapid cut, not seeing much, not feeling real weight/velocity/impact, so I guess it will be more about the comedy.

Teaser does not look bad imo, seem to be playing it 100% safe too.

Edited by Barnack

7 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

We will see, the McG movies actually were not big hits in theaters, but maybe did well on home video for Sony. 300m-400m Worldwide seems to be high end. MIB4 in same budget range will do about the same. Even 22 Jumpstreet just did OK numbers.

400m would be great for this already and likely greenlight a sequel. 

1 hour ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

The movie look quite cheaper that the 2 previous entry that made around 260m WW (264m and 259m).

Has for Jump street 22 doing only OK numbers, not sure many would agree that a nearly 200m dbo for a mid comedy is just ok.

The movie had a small 69m net budget

Was expected to break even at 121m WW, was expected to make a good use of money at 177m WW and was budgeted to make 200m at first, it ended up making 331m, business total that was estimated to generating over 100m of millions of profit and over 30m in bonus, 22 JS was a big success story.

6 minutes ago, Barnack said:

The movie look quite cheaper that the 2 previous entry that made around 260m WW (264m and 259m).

Has for Jump street 22 doing only OK numbers, not sure many would agree that a nearly 200m dbo for a mid comedy is just ok.

The movie had a small 69m net budget

Was expected to break even at 121m WW, was expected to make a good use of money at 177m WW and was budgeted to make 200m at first, it ended up making 331m, business total that was estimated to generating over 100m of millions of profit and over 30m in bonus, 22 JS was a big success story.

its normal expected numbers, 22 JS had about 50m reported budget , with CA having roughly 100m budget, it needs 300+ and good reception to continue . I'm more saying there is ceiling for these tv show remake, at least the first one.

21 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

its normal expected numbers, 22 JS had about 50m reported budget , with CA having roughly 100m budget, it needs 300+ and good reception to continue . I'm more saying there is ceiling for these tv show remake, at least the first one.

People expected 190m dbo / 330m WW for 22 JS ?

http://cms.pro.boxoffice.com/featured_stories/2014-04-long-range-forecast-22-jump-street

Long range pro box office had it :

22 Jump Street Jun 13, 2014 Sony / Columbia $48,000,000 $143,000,000

I think it vastly overperformed, looking at leaking e-mail mentionned and accounting prediction of the movie, they were talking about a target of 75-80m at the intl box office, it made 140m intl, and 135m dbo (close to box office pro forecast) and it almost made 200m.

21 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

with CA having roughly 100m budget,

Oh 100m, that a tad higher than I thought, I expected Men in Black/Magnificent 7 treatment and a small 75-80m type of affair. P.S. 22 JS was an over 80m production with a net cost of 69m, not 50

Edited by Barnack

This one 

6 minutes ago, Barnack said:

People expected 190m dbo / 330m WW for 22 JS ?

http://cms.pro.boxoffice.com/featured_stories/2014-04-long-range-forecast-22-jump-street

Long range pro box office had it :

22 Jump Street Jun 13, 2014 Sony / Columbia $48,000,000 $143,000,000

I think it vastly overperformed, looking at leaking e-mail mentionned and accounting prediction of the movie, they were talking about a target of 75-80m at the intl box office, it made 140m intl, and 135m dbo (close to box office pro forecast) and it almost made 200m.

Oh 100m, that hight than I thought, I expected Men in Black/Magnificent 7 treatment and a small 75-80m type of affair. P.S. 22 JS was an over 80m production with a net cost of 69m, not 50

This one doesn't have a 100m budget, 90m tops but probably 70-80m. 

Also Charlie's Angels is a bigger brand than JS which was an U.S thing only, CA is more famous brand overseas, China even made their own Charlie's Angels version.

If it makes 400m, it'd be a big hit already. And I am sure it's getting good reviews and good word of mouth, it'll have good legs. 

Edited by Mexlouis

400m feel really big for this, 300m would probably be already big hit outside being China heavy scenario like Tomb Raider was.

Ocean 8 is a recent reboot of an arguably 66% or so more popular 2000s franchise and was a nice big success at 300m, this will probably be less domestic heavy too, but I am not sure what the argument to get above Ocean 8 is.

Edited by Barnack

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

400m feel really big for this, 300m would probably be already big hit outside being China heavy scenario like Tomb Raider was.

Ocean 8 is a recent reboot of an arguably 66% or so more popular 2000s franchise and was a nice big success at 300m, this will probably be less domestic heavy too, but I am not sure what the argument to get above Ocean 8 is.

The argument is that it's much better than Ocean's 8 hehe 

I don't care about test screening reports. They are almost always wrong about big movies but I think a Charlie's Angels movie has more potential than a Will Smith-less MIB movie. MIB has a very narrow concept and , like Terminator, you can't do much with it once you have gone through all iterations of that concept. MIB4 was going to drop big to $400-450 million WW even if Will had come back.

8 minutes ago, TLK said:

I don't care about test screening reports. They are almost always wrong about big movies but I think a Charlie's Angels movie has more potential than a Will Smith-less MIB movie. MIB has a very narrow concept and , like Terminator, you can't do much with it once you have gone through all iterations of that concept. MIB4 was going to drop big to $400-450 million WW even if Will had come back.

To be fair, a lot of them are wrong bc they're from trolls on reddit or something like that. This time is legit, from trust worthy ppl I know. 

Edited by Mexlouis

3 minutes ago, Mexlouis said:

To be fair, a lot of them are wrong bc they're from trolls on reddit or something like that. This time is legit, from trust worthy ppl I know. 

I have seen a lot of screening reports from journalists and reliable publications that turned out to be wrong. Remember when Deadpool 2 and Wonder Woman were disasters ? We'll find out how good or bad it is in November but I do think this movie has potential if it is decent enough and is  well-marketed. Sony seems to have some confidence in it if they are investing so much money in its soundtrack and have test-screened it. (MIB was never test-screened)

Not sure I remember a reliable publication ever mentionning screening report before a movie release, they are only mentionned if the distributor decide to tell them the score and in that case it will always be positive like https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/guardians-galaxy-vol-2-scores-extremely-rare-100-test-screening-974277

Has for Deadpool 2 according to the reliable publication it tested better than the first:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/deadpool-2-outscores-original-test-screenings-1095838

I do not remember anyone or any serious platform talking about bad deadpool 2 test screenings.

19 minutes ago, TLK said:

I have seen a lot of screening reports from journalists and reliable publications that turned out to be wrong. Remember when Deadpool 2 and Wonder Woman were disasters ? We'll find out how good or bad it is in November but I do think this movie has potential if it is decent enough and is  well-marketed. Sony seems to have some confidence in it if they are investing so much money in its soundtrack and have test-screened it. (MIB was never test-screened)

The deadpool 2 thing was implanted by that mcu stan on twitter with huge following who pretends to be an insider, he always does that with movies he wants to flop and his fake tea always goes viral. The people I know actually told me deadpool 2 reception was great, also got applause in the test screenings.

I don't know what was up with wonder woman, I don't know anybody who went and I didn't follow the story. 

Edited by Mexlouis

2 hours ago, Mexlouis said:

so you signed up with BOT just to convince us that this movie is good? That convinced me even less, sorry. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Hmm I would say they were big hits at the time. The first film had one of the biggest openings of 2000 and total adjusts to $210m domestic. The sequel adjusts to $150m from 2003. It held on to most of its audience actually, the sequel was only $5m down worldwide. 

The song will definitely bring attention, especially with 3 rabid fan bases (Ariana, Lana and Miley). 

They have also cast some attractive guys with big followings, Noah has 17m followers on Instagram. 

Releasing the trailer today and song tomorrow could create quite a big impact. 

Edited by Krissykins