kayumanggi

WEEKEND ESTIMATES: 47.5 M HOTEL TRANSYLVANIA II | 18.2 M THE INTERN | 14.0 M TMR: THE SCORCH TRIALS | 13.1 M EVEREST

True....but if it's a movie based on huge brand and not just another "randomous big-budgeted original film"...then the September OW could be locked again.

And if it's a good movie with a lower budget than $150M and with a wider audience...it could happen.

A movie based on a huge brand is going to be released in a more lucrative month than September. Sony found a niche with SPA films and R rated films like The Equalizer but those films have under $100m budget. there's a reason why blockbusters are released in the summer and holidays.

Edited by Jonwo

A movie based on a huge brand is going to be released in a more lucrative month than September. Sony found a niche with SPA films and R rated films like The Equalizer but those films have under $100m budget. there's a reason why blockbusters are released in the summer and holidays.

Sony took a risk with Cloudy 1 in September. If it wasn't for that, we wouldn't be getting animation movies on this month. 

• Like 1

True..very true. But the summer is always a competitive season for those movies...And one of them is fighting for #1 grossing film. But then they usually get a bit more frontloaded....because of competition.

Sony took a risk with Cloudy 1 in September. If it wasn't for that, we wouldn't be getting animation movies on this month. 

Sony have been doing it since Open Season in 2006, other studios like Warner Bros and Focus have slotted family films as well, WB has Storks in that slot against Sony's Magnificent Seven next year although I could see either studio moving their film back a week. I think Sony will alternate SPA films with action films like The Equalizer 2 and MS, late September works for them

Sony have been doing it since Open Season in 2006, other studios like Warner Bros and Focus have slotted family films as well, WB has Storks in that slot against Sony's Magnificent Seven next year although I could see either studio moving their film back a week. I think Sony will alternate SPA films with action films like The Equalizer 2 and MS, late September works for them

Cloudy 1 was the first to prove the animation blockbuster potential in September, tho.