The Martian (2015)  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I disagree with a lot if thus, for starters matt Damon was definitely suited for the part. Secondly it wasnt trying to cater to China, it was being faithful to the source material by adding that which is pretty crucial to the story.just because some films blatantly add pointless China shit just to boost their profits it doesn't mean we have to put down any future blockbuster that features Chinese actors, especially when it actually fits in the narrative.it's not like Fox told Andy Weir 5 years ago to add China into his novel so they could maybe one day make an adaptation which would sell more overseas lol

the problem was the execution, really. I don't have any problem with China saving the day.

I felt there were some pacing problems. The first act needed to be about 15 minutes longer.

My reactionary tweet actually sums up how I feel very well.

@TannerStechnij: THE MARTIAN: A nice, average movie elevated to near perfection with levity and a sense of hope. Takes no risks but, ultimately, that's fine.

• Like 2

With The Martian, director Ridley Scott has escaped the doldrums in which he has been stuck for the past several years, and he has delivered his strongest film since his preferred cut of Kingdom of Heaven. Allaying my initial fears that the lauded names in front of and behind the camera would adopt a more serious tone at the expense of Andy Weir's wry spins on the survival adventure subgenre, the final product strikes a winning balance between lighthearted irreverence and armrest-gripping tension. It's rare that a film can blend two seemingly contradictory tonal elements to strong effect, but this film accomplishes it thanks to the consistently savvy choices of Scott and screenwriter Drew Goddard. With such versatility in tone, it's all-too-appropriate that Matt Damon, one of the most versatile actors working today, is so good in the title role. Damon's charisma and just-about-perfect delivery of gallows humor makes him all too easy to watch for the stretches in which he is the only person onscreen, but he also pushes himself to subtle yet resonant emotional depths whenever the gravity of his predicament hits him. The rest of the cast is solid as well, but it's not altogether surprising that no one else has the requisite screen time or development to steal the show from Damon (in fact, one of my few very minor quibbles with the film is that I would like to have seen more preliminary development of the crew so that their sense of camaraderie is clearer when the inciting incident occurs). On beyond the success of the story, it's also a fantastic film to look at. While its technological accomplishments are not as impressive as genre-mates Gravity and Interstellar, it does evoke a startling sense of vastness with its Mars scenery, and it makes easily the most impressive use of native 3D since Life of Pi (although it's admittedly not quite up to that film's level of immersion in the format). I had very high hopes going in, and unlike Scott's recent efforts, it nearly-completely fulfilled them. 

A-

While I liked it more than Johnny i agree with everything he said.

I loved the scene know where they are talking about Lord of the Rings and Sean Bean is actually in the room discussing it with them. That made me laugh out loud quite a bit.

I laughed so loud during that scene. Such a nerd.

I really enjoyed the movie, but like some here, something just didn't quite grab me to say it was great.

Matt Damon was obviously the standout and I did like almost all the humor in the film.  The disco music bits were funny and the Sean Bean/LOTR reference was too.

Overall, I give it a B+, possibly an A-

went to see it for the 3rd time , it just leaves itself be watched and easy to follow the science mumbo jumbo lingo ....

so far twice in 3D and once in 2D will def go see it again ,

the movie is so hard to see took me a week to see it again everytime i go both screens are sellout every other movie has one screen where i go but this has 2 and all 4 showing at night sellout  pfff maybe i should try during the day i guess i could also try another cinema but i like this one...

i think its way better than gravity and more grounded in reality (feels like it ), i haven't rewatch gravity since i saw it in theatre that one time nor have i thought about it lol

also someone mention buckey and mara romance off screen didnt bother me at all , alll that time in space and i think they're the only two singles people on the crew , those hormones one track mind and single DNA  life mission "attract,copulate,procreate" kkkkk

matt damon is awesome in this , i love his low key approach to his charaacter no over the top melodrama, yes he's in a obscene shitty situation and yet he keeps it together and "sciences the shit out out of it" instead  of moaning and whining but still showed his desperation through the cracks subtlely!

if i have one complaint is all the clapping , i was like shit the rocket isnt even off the planet yet why are they clapping , he say hello they clap , also the crowds outside in squares in winter to watch the rescue really why not go to a bar or watch on tv at home ? see little nagging i don't really care about 

love don glover character just gald to see him alive and well i know sometime ago he wrote a few bleek tweets and followers  were worried ehh

oh miracle sean bean didnt die and his wink scene at  lord of the rings  got lot of laughs everytime (lotr is/was huge in france)

• Like 2

After postponing seeing this movie for so long, I'm so glad I got to watch it before submitting my list for the best movies of 2015 because this easily takes the crown. The Martian was intriguing and funny and genuine and tense like few movies, especially Sci-Fi movies, succeed. I rarely connect with a character so much as I connected with Watney. It was visually stunning, beautifully shot and way too short. And the use of great songs was spot on, not like so many movies try and fail today (see GotG). 

Overall, superb film!

A+ 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, James said:

After postponing seeing this movie for so long, I'm so glad I got to watch it before submitting my list for the best movies of 2015 because this easily takes the crown. The Martian was intriguing and funny and genuine and tense like few movies, especially Sci-Fi movies, succeed. I rarely connect with a character so much as I connected with Watney. It was visually stunning, beautifully shot and way too short. And the use of great songs was spot on, not like so many movies try and fail today (see GotG). 

Overall, superb film!

A+ 

I agree with everything except your last comment, how the hell did GOTG fail with them music? its soundtrack was number 1 for fucking ages lol.

On ‎22‎/‎10‎/‎2015 at 9:30 PM, ShouldIBeHere said:

Wow ... Came out of this totally surprised

It intruiged, moved and entertained me so much more than Interstellar without even trying.

And no, it is not a totally different kind of movie... It simply is a much better one.

A-

Well one is about wormholes, black holes and physics. The other is about a guy trying to survive on his own by making food. Regardless of what you say, they are totally different movies, they both just happen to feature space and Matt Damon. Tonally they are even completely different from each other, its like saying its the same as Star Wars....

:rolleyes:

Edited by Jessie
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jessie said:

I agree with everything except your last comment, how the hell did GOTG fail with them music? its soundtrack was number 1 for fucking ages lol.

Not the soundtrack itself, but the way it was used in the movie. It's 80's music. It can do no wrong by itself:lol:

20 hours ago, Jessie said:

Well one is about wormholes, black holes and physics. The other is about a guy trying to survive on his own by making food. Regardless of what you say, they are totally different movies, they both just happen to feature space and Matt Damon. Tonally they are even completely different from each other, its like saying its the same as Star Wars....

:rolleyes:

A lot of both is about telling a tale of survival. Of course, tone and approach are very different. But these underlying themes are surely there and were imho much better handled in TM.

• Like 1