kayumanggi

mother! | 09.15.17 | Paramount | Darren Aronofsky, Jennifer Lawrence | Razzie Awards frontrunner

Just saw it. What an insane, intense, brilliant movie. If you thought the Shining or Clockwork Orange were crazy, this is next level. But it is a very unconventional film and you just have to go with it.

Jlaw pulls off an absolute tour de force. The intensity of this performance and the depth of emotion she is able to convey is genius. All the intensity of the film is channeled through her and it goes off like a supernova. I honestly cannot think of any other actress that has that gift to express emotion to this extraordinary degree. But I cannot recall a film pushing an actress to this extent period.  

Edited by straggler
  • Like 8

2 minutes ago, straggler said:

Just saw it. What an insane, intense, brilliant movie. If you thought the Shining or Clockwork Orange were crazy, this is next level. But it is a very unconventional film and you just have to go with it.

Jlaw pulls off an absolute tour de force. The intensity of this performance and the depth of emotion she is able to convey is genius. All the intensity of the film is channeled through her and it goes off like a supernova. I honestly cannot think of any other actress that has that gift to express emotion to this extraordinary degree. But I cannot recall a film pushing an actress to this extent period.  

Yeah, no matter the boxoffice, this is a good thing to have a on a resume. 

• Like 3

I could go on a severely long rant about how much I hated this "experience" but a picture says a 1,000 words.

DumpsterFire2.jpg

slow-motion-money-on-fire_wkxt47vlb__F00

2b14702a66345d5598c92828fa9e8727ecca8cf0

Oh and I consider Black Swan one of the best horror movies of the last decade. This movie is going to have the worst WOM since It Comes At Night. I was honestly banging my head against the seat at times wondering why I have to see the end. It took all the willpower I had to stay and I was honestly falling asleep the first hour.

Edited by somebody85

20 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

I could go on a severely long rant about how much I hated this "experience" but a picture says a 1,000 words.

DumpsterFire2.jpg

slow-motion-money-on-fire_wkxt47vlb__F00

2b14702a66345d5598c92828fa9e8727ecca8cf0

Oh and I consider Black Swan one of the best horror movies of the last decade. This movie is going to have the worst WOM since It Comes At Night. I was honestly banging my head against the seat at times wondering why I have to see the end. It took all the willpower I had to stay and I was honestly falling asleep the first hour.

:rofl::lol:

Sooooo.... This is now certified fresh on RT but by the time I noticed it, it had dropped to 74%.  I'm sure that isn't where it will end, but it isn't a good look, for the moment.

The better news is that at least Top Critics is still at 76%.

In any event, certified fresh was as good or better than I was hoping for, so I am pleased.

https://twitter.com/ParamountAU/status/908582429819990017

Edited by trifle
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I called this from the moment the trailer dropped. 

I've still to see the film first though. Going for a repeat viewing of IT instead this weekend. 

Saw that again last night and appreciated it a lot more this time. Had way less problems then I did initially. 

I really was expecting a arthouse/indie psychological horror here....and this is not that. Sometimes I guess I should pay attention to marketing and reviews before wasting money to see something. I truly thought this was going to be about something else. The little marketing that I did see was completely misleading and it's so messed up to do that to the horror crowd again. 

Edited by somebody85

If this trailer isn't some of the biggest false advertising you see at the cinemas this year than I don't know what is. This honestly reminds me of those really talented YouTube guys that take a popular movie and create a convincing trailer that makes the film look like it could be a completely different genre.

That is exactly what they did here (like that thing with Ed Harris head...fucking come on). I'm going to laugh if someone walks out of this so pissed off that they threaten to sue Paramount (it's been done in the past with Drive).

Fair warning: If you go to see Mother! expecting a movie like this trailer, you will probably leave highly disappointed. And I'm pretty sure that this is the same one that aired in front of IT that millions saw. I remember hearing the score.

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 1

One of my favorite thing about films like mother!—which is equal parts biblical allegory and a self-psychological examination of auteurs—is how so many people refuse to meet them halfway, and instead act like the filmmakers raped your girlfriend, shot your dog, and hired terrorists to blow up your home.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, somebody85 said:

1rhAXze.jpg

That's probably going to drop even further over the weekend. Way to go again marketing! 

Those are the alt right trolls who voted it down on imdb, a place where you can rate a film before it even comes out.  You can't review them until preview night on RT, so they had to wait on RT.

There will be those who hate it, but not that many people saw the previews and rated it that quickly, I am certain. And after what happened on imdb it is certainly suspicious.

Also, can someone refresh my memory on how to block someone here? I don't want to be spoiled, accidentally on purpose. NVM! I figured it out!

Edited by trifle
  • Like 1

Considering how extreme it is there isn't much doubt the audience score will drop. I don't think this movie is even on the alt-right radar. Promotion for the movie has been deceiving. 

Im interested in seeing it at some point. The  pretentiousness that has permeated every aspect of this film has put me off for the time being. 

6 minutes ago, Harley said:

Considering how extreme it is there isn't much doubt the audience score will drop. I don't think this movie is even on the alt-right radar. Promotion for the movie has been deceiving. 

Im interested in seeing it at some point. The  pretentiousness that has permeated every aspect of this film has put me off for the time being. 

Oh, it is definitely on the alt right radar.  There are environmental metaphors in it and Jen was misquoted by clickbait articles as supposedly saying our recent hurricanes were natures wrath for electing trump.  It made a lot of noise with numerous sites (Hollywood Reporter etc etc) saying no she never said that, and Snopes even did a bit on it.  Immediately when that hit the news cycle, mother was downvoted on imdb regardless of the fact that it hadn't even opened at festivals at the time.  As I said, RT didn't open for those votes until the previews.

Some may be legitimate, but the flood as soon as the voting was allowed let the trolls in as well.  Check comment sections.

Edited by trifle
  • Like 1