kayumanggi

mother! | 09.15.17 | Paramount | Darren Aronofsky, Jennifer Lawrence | Razzie Awards frontrunner

Harvey Weinstein wrote a review of the film. My favourite excerpt:

And I know I’m prejudiced about Jennifer Lawrence, because I always have and always will think she’s great. But with each performance, it becomes clear to me that she is one of the Greats, alongside my girl Judi Dench and the indomitable Meryl Streep.

my girl Judi Dench

my girl Judi Dench

http://deadline.com/2017/09/mother-harvey-weinstein-darren-aronofsky-horror-masterpiece-jennifer-lawrence-javier-bardem-commentary-1202178641/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, AJG said:

I just googled him and Dench and came up with this:

Harvey Weinstein explains why Judi Dench has his name tattooed on her butt

so I guess they are old friends and she wouldn't be upset at the reference.

I do have to say that from reading that article, HW seems a bit of a jerk. I liked him a lot better in the deadline article.

Edited by trifle
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, trifle said:

I do have to say that from reading that article, HW seems a bit of a jerk. I liked him a lot better in the deadline article.

Don't undersell Harvey, he's a world class jerk with rumors of far worse than jerkdom..

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, trifle said:

You simply must read his Tulip Fever article. He argues how we should go and see Tulip Fever based on its glowing reception from Alicia Vikanders mums friend. The desperation is incredible.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, AJG said:

You simply must read his Tulip Fever article. He argues how we should go and see Tulip Fever based on its glowing reception from Alicia Vikanders mums friend. The desperation is incredible.

Now I get why someone was saying 'but what does Jen's mom's friend say?' when the deadline article came out... :lol:

XS5LK.gif

• Haha 1

Aronofsky on the difficulty of working with 16mm film.  Apparently the old skilled film gurus are mostly retired so post production becomes complicated.  Also apparently, Nolan had similar issues on Dunkirk with IMAX film.

http://collider.com/darren-aronofsky-mother-16mm-film-challenges/#christopher-nolan

By the way, @Barnack   I think you mentioned sound stages - I don't think this was filmed in a soundstage except maybe some of the final day when they shot for VFX effects.  They rehearsed for 3 months how to keep the story inside the house, and filmed it there, from what I understand.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, trifle said:

By the way, @Barnack   I think you mentioned sound stages - I don't think this was filmed in a soundstage except maybe some of the final day when they shot for VFX effects.  They rehearsed for 3 months how to keep the story inside the house, and filmed it there, from what I understand.

From what I understand they made at least one copy of the house, one outside for natural daylight, and other one on a sound stage for every sequence at night time.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Barnack said:

From what I understand they made at least one copy of the house, one outside for natural daylight, and other one on a sound stage for every sequence at night time.

Well, I'm going to bet on your sources over mine!  What I read went more to the dynamics of staying within a small space, than to construction.

Edited by trifle
  • Like 1

Interestingly, (to me) he says (around 9 min in) that the most 'notorious' scene came to him when, while he was writing this,

Spoiler

a baby dolphin washed up on the beach in South America and tourists were petting it and taking pictures of it and ultimately killed it.

That makes a lot of sense, given the primary message to him of mankind destroying 'mother nature'.

Edited by trifle
  • Like 1