WrathOfHan

Official Weekend Estimates: Goosebumps - 23.5M; The Martian - 21.5M; Bridge of Spies - 15.4M; Crimson Peak - 12.9M (Page 1)

Lol at everyone thinking Bridge of Spies and Goosebumps are locks for sub-$20 million

Goosebumps could easily do $25-30 million for the weekend since kids movies rarely do well in previews

Bridge could do $20-25 million since older adults aren't usually ones to attend previews.

Crimson is looking rough though

• Like 5

I actually thought GOOSEBUMPS could break out and get 25+ this weekend. Too early to tell for sure but doesn't look hopeful.

Ugh I likely won't be on the forums for early Friday #'s.

Oh well. If Goosebmps does indeed do sub 20M, my winter game isn't off to a great start :/

Lol at everyone thinking Bridge of Spies and Goosebumps are locks for sub-$20 million

Goosebumps could easily do $25-30 million for the weekend since kids movies rarely do well in previews

Bridge could do $20-25 million since older adults aren't usually ones to attend previews.

BOS did 100k less than Captain Phillips so it'll be somewhere between 15M-22M, maybe 25M (Phillips) if it's lucky. I know that kids movies do less in previews, but less than Pan isn't a good sign.

I agree. Captain Phillips only had $600K in previews. Presales are better than expected. Let's hope for an opening more than Argo.

It's 20 years too late, that's what's wrong.

I think so too, it would have been a smash if it was released in the early 2000s

As a fan of the series, I also was disappointed by the marketing, it made the movie sounds too childish, I mean, I know that they're books for kids, but the TV series always had more focus in the horror than in the humor, while seems that the focus of the movie was more in the humor than in the horror......

At least wait for Friday #s before determining Goosebumps' fate!

Pan is a $150m fantasy tentpole dumped on a random October weekend, while Goosebumps is a $58m horror comedy released two weeks before Halloween. Goosebumps doesn't need a big OW as much as Pan did, since the budget is much smaller and it'll hold great over its second and third weekends

Goosebumps also has positive reception and minimal comedic competition.

It could still do $9-11 million on Friday even with $600k previews

Bridge should be leggy so a $20-25 million OW would be excellent for it.

Edited by mahnamahna
  • Like 2

Apparently Bridge of Spies cost $40m to make which seems unlikely considering Lincoln cost $65m unless Hanks and Spielberg cut their usual fees. Even Captain Phillips cost $55m. 
Spielberg and Hanks are known for cutting their upfront fees and taking the backend when they work together. Same when he worked with Cruise.

I hope everyone remembers that Home did $650,000 in Thursday previews. I'm not saying Goosebumps will open to Home's level, but it's definitely not locked to go under $20m.

Crimson Peak is pretty much dead, though.

Edited by Alpha
  • Like 3

I hope everyone remembers that Home did $650,000 in Thursday previews. I'm not saying Goosebumps will open to Home's level, but it's definitely not locked to go under $20m.

Love the cast. Love Del Toro. This is bad for audience looking for something different than the usual, mass market fare.

:(  :(  :(

Love the cast. Love Del Toro. This is bad for audience looking for something different than the usual, mass market fare.

:(  :(  :(

Why is it bad? The movie is in wide release, is this audience you speak of incapable of watching movies if they're not doing well?

Fair point.

Spielberg and Hanks are known for cutting their upfront fees and taking the backend when they work together. Same when he worked with Cruise.

I assume money isn't really a factor for either since the backend will likely make up for any shortfall from a reduced frontend. 

At least wait for Friday #s before determining Goosebumps' fate!

Pan is a $150m fantasy tentpole dumped on a random October weekend, while Goosebumps is a $58m horror comedy released two weeks before Halloween. Goosebumps doesn't need a big OW as much as Pan did, since the budget is much smaller and it'll hold great over its second and third weekends

Goosebumps also has positive reception and minimal comedic competition.

It could still do $9-11 million on Friday even with $600k previews

Bridge should be leggy so a $20-25 million OW would be excellent for it.

Have we all forgotten Hotel Transylvania 2 opened with $0 in Thursday previews?  Thursday is still a school night.  I think at this time of year, PG family friendly movies are better served not having Thursday previews at all.  And as you said, Goosebumps should hold well in its second weekend, because the PG movie being released then is Jem and the Holograms, which has not been received well at all, based on everything we've seen.

Crimson Peak got a much higher budget than it deserves actually, especially since Del Toro has never been huge at the box office. It got freaking IMAX screens even, which even The Martian doesn't have.

Legendary funded the entire film with Universal distributing and marketing so Universal isn't really losing out if it flops