WrathOfHan

Official Weekend Estimates: Goosebumps - 23.5M; The Martian - 21.5M; Bridge of Spies - 15.4M; Crimson Peak - 12.9M (Page 1)

Crimson Peak got a much higher budget than it deserves actually, especially since Del Toro has never been huge at the box office. It got freaking IMAX screens even, which even The Martian doesn't have.

Legendary won't lose much or anything thanks to OS, the budget is only 55M.

You can't judge Goosebumps on a Thursday number at all. It skews younger, it's going to benefit from great legs around the Halloween season and WoM that should actually be pretty good given it doesn't stink. Gotta wait for Friday at least.

• Like 1

I always thought Goosebumps could go either way. The marketing for the film made it look extremely juvenile yet the property has no relevance to today's kids, and potentially nostalgic adults probably weren't interested in seeing what looked like "Jack Black's Night at the Museum, But With Goosebumps Characters" and were easily distracted by the insane amount of competition aimed at grown ups. However, reception for the film seems surprisingly positive and the next two weekends look to be really dull on the new release front (minus Steve Jobs going wide), so it should at least match its surprisingly modest budget.

Crimson Peak is probably going to end up as a soft performer, but I'm not surprised. It always screamed "niche product" to me.

Jesus, these weekend threads are becoming like a parody of themselves. Mid-sized movies like these have huge variations in their midnight numbers, and there's about 100 different ways to reasonably extrapolate from these baselines. We know this. We've seen it 100 times. Calm down, people. Sheesh. 

Also, I know alot of folks think sports have zero effect on box office when they clearly do, but Mets-Dodgers last night (sorry, Tele) ran from 8 to 11:30 and probably drew upwards of 8 million viewers. That can certainly have an impact.

• Like 11

Meh numbers but that doesn't spell doom for the Weekend. Except for CP (just hoping at this point it gets into double digits). BoS and Goosebumps both should have solid WoM plus adult and kids films don't have great previews anyways. Let's at least wait to see the early Friday #'s.

• Like 1

Jesus, these weekend threads are becoming like a parody of themselves. Mid-sized movies like these have huge variations in their midnight numbers, and there's about 100 different ways to reasonably extrapolate from these baselines. We know this. We've seen it 100 times. Calm down, people. Sheesh. 

Also, I know alot of folks think sports have zero effect on box office when they clearly do, but Mets-Dodgers last night (sorry, Tele) ran from 8 to 11:30 and probably drew upwards of 8 million viewers. That can certainly have an impact.

You also, have Thursday Night Football which is a factor. People need to wait till later for more #s to make any true guesses about this weekend's box office.

While I don't think the marketing campaign was strong for CP, I don't think advertising it as a straight horror film was the wrong way to promote it. It was always gonna be a tough sale to market gothic romance (albeit with some horror elements), rather than as an out and out horror film. At least than you could hope to capture horror fans along with the Del Toro fanboy crowd.

I always thought Goosebumps could go either way. The marketing for the film made it look extremely juvenile yet the property has no relevance to today's kids, and potentially nostalgic adults probably weren't interested in seeing what looked like "Jack Black's Night at the Museum, But With Goosebumps Characters" and were easily distracted by the insane amount of competition aimed at grown ups. However, reception for the film seems surprisingly positive and the next two weekends look to be really dull on the new release front (minus Steve Jobs going wide), so it should at least match its surprisingly modest budget.

This is what I was thinking a couple of months back. Also have to add that the adults that would have found Goosebumps nostalgic probably wouldn't have a kid old enough to take to see this movie. If somebody was 10 years old in 1995, they would only be 30 years old today.

They should have coordinated a relaunch of the books for an anniversary, as well as relaunch the TV show, pump out merchandise from that, and held off on the movie for a couple of years. They jumped the gun. It could have been quite the event in 2025.

Edited by AJG
  • Like 1

You also, have Thursday Night Football which is a factor. People need to wait till later for more #s to make any true guesses about this weekend's box office.

I agree, but I think in terms of the effect on box office, it's a little different. People watch those two in different ways for different reasons. The Thursday NFL games are notoriously crappy matchups, with low stakes and sloppy play. TNF does have a huge audience, but no one watching it really cancels their plans to watch it. You don't say "Well, I was going to go see Crimson Peak, but I have to watch this crappy football game that's a probable blowout!" It's something you turn on when you aren't doing anything on Thursday (which is a ton of people, obviously), but not something you plan your whole schedule around. Now, a clinching playoff game between two marquee teams? That is the kind of game people cancel their plans for. I'm sure there's certainly people who planned to see CP/BOS last night and decided that they would rather watch the game, at a party or in a bar or at home. It's an event, with actual stakes. So it probably cut into the audience a decent amount for the movies.

• Like 3

Lackluster wide releases means everyone in NY/LA should go see Room, obviously.
Seeing Bridge of Spies and Room tomorrow. There's also Beasts of No Nation, Crimson Peak, The Assassin, Victoria....TOO MANY. As I write this, I heard a Crimson Peak ad from del Toro on Spotify calling it a "Gothic romance". Edited by RichWS

For every person who says Goosebumps is 10-15 years too late, there's another saying it's 10-15 years too soon.

They could've either made a movie when it was at the height of its popularity or made a movie when the nostalgia started to kick in. Either way it's not a movie that was desperately needed in 2015.

• Like 1