WrathOfHan

Official Weekend Estimates: Goosebumps - 23.5M; The Martian - 21.5M; Bridge of Spies - 15.4M; Crimson Peak - 12.9M (Page 1)

It's not THAT bad for the Martian... To drop around 40% in the face of 3 new openers doing around $55.m of new business is fine. And I imagine it'll inch up from these estimates.

Bridge of Spies & Crimson Peak took away some of the Martian's heat.

I bet younger audience is turned off by the slow burn pace of The Martian

and turned to the silliness of Goosebumps. It's never easy ride for Matt.

Next week is another trio of openers. Rock the Kasbah is getting 2000

screens? Wow.

So what will be the "adult" movies breakouts of the season ?

I consider a breakout around 70-80m by the way, stop obsessing with the 100m  mark people, it s bad for your skin.

Big breakout is around 120-130m + ...

Steve Jobs ?

Joy ?

Revenant ?

Spotlight ?

Truth ?

Carol ?

Suffragette ?

Room ?

Hateful Eight ?

The Big Short ?

Danish Gurl ?

Place your bets for I have no clue.

Even though a movie like Room is so small that a small bo take would make it a success, it s all relative to the size of the movie.

Edited by The Futurist

I consider a breakout around 70-80m by the way, stop obsessing with the 100m  mark people, it s bad for your skin.

Steve Jobs ?

Joy ?

Revenant ?

Spotlight ?

Truth ?

Carol ?

Suffragette ?

Room ?

Hateful Eight ?

The Big Short ?

Danish Gurl ?

Even though a movie like Room is so small that a small bo take would make it a success, it s all relative to the size of the movie.

People are estimating $200M for Revenant?

Didn't hear hype that big. Innaritu is a guy to watch

after Birdman, so I am there opening night.

But $200M?

Steve Jobs ?

Joy ?

Revenant ?

Spotlight ?

Truth ?

Carol ?

Suffragette ?

Room ?

Hateful Eight ?

The Big Short ?

Danish Gurl ?

Joy has the release date. I can see it landing in the Silver Linings / Hustle ballpark of $130m or so.

Much more of a long shot bit I'm hearing amazing things about Room. I don't think it can hit $100m but it should break out somewhat.

Looks like almost all of its audience decided to watch Beasts of No Nation at home. I wonder if Netflix will continue with these theatrical releases because from a business perspective it seems pretty pointless so far.

I bet younger audience is turned off by the slow burn pace of The Martian

Please don't tell me we've gotten to the point where The freaking Martian has a "slow burn pace". 

• Like 3

Looks like almost all of its audience decided to watch Beasts of No Nation at home. I wonder if Netflix will continue with these theatrical releases because from a business perspective it seems pretty pointless so far.

I think it's just to qualify it for awards but in future it wouldn't surprise me if they wanna keep doing that they'll just throw it on a a couple screens in la and not even bother tracking the box office.

• Like 1