Dementeleus

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

9 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

So many qualifiers, so many hedges, one might think this was all just an act revealed for the falsehood it was

but I still love A Cure for Wellness, Rango, Curse of the Black Pearl, The Ring, and The Lone Ranger.  are you implying my love for all these films was just an act?  these are some strong accusations

33 minutes ago, Walt Disney said:

But a lot of that has to do with peoples' political leanings. Staggs and Rasulo had a stench from their vision (or lack thereof) for the company as a whole and from being part of the old Eisner regime. Disney clearly needs to move in a different direction to compete. Murdoch doesn't have those short-comings and would bring a new perspective to the company. He could have other short-comings, but I haven't heard of any, except that his last name is Murdoch, which again goes back to political leanings.

It’s not his political leanings that has me opposed to him being CEO. His business career doesn’t really inspire confidence, especially if Disney is trying to find someone who can continue or surpass Iger’s legacy. 

Spoiler

In 1996 Murdoch joined News Corporation and was appointed chairman of Festival Records. He took charge of News Corporation's internet operations, where he invested in a series of ventures, including financial website TheStreet and the short-lived online music site Whammo, with mixed results.[6] He also continued to contribute cartoons to US magazine Gear.

He is credited with sparking his father's interest in the internet, and he reportedly tried to persuade his father to buy internet company Pointcast for US$450million. It was subsequently sold to another company for $7 million.[6]

After installing a new management team at Festival, Murdoch purchased the controlling 51% share of Mushroom Records in 1999, and the merged group was rebranded as Festival Mushroom Records.[citation needed] It was at first thought that News might use FMR as the foundation of a new international entertainment company, but Festival struggled while Murdoch was in charge and after his departure its fortunes declined rapidly; the company was wound up in late 2005 and its remaining assets were sold. The recording catalogue was sold to the Australian division of Warner Music for only A$10 million in October 2005, and the publishing division was sold to Michael Gudinski a month later, for an undisclosed sum.[10]

In May 2000, Murdoch was appointed chairman and chief executive of News Corporation's ailing Asian satellite service Star Television, which at the time was losing £100m a year, and he moved to Hong Kong.[6]

In February 2003, Murdoch became a director of BSkyB. Later that year, he controversially became CEO of BSkyB, in which News Corporation owns a controlling minority stake. His appointment sparked accusations of nepotism, with some commentators and shareholders feeling that the job had not been opened to outsiders and that Murdoch was too young and inexperienced to run one of the UK's top companies[11] (on appointment he was by far the youngest chief executive of a FTSE 100 company).

Following the shock resignation of his brother Lachlan Murdoch from his executive positions at News Corporation on 29 July 2005, James is widely viewed as his father's heir-apparent.[12]

On 7 December 2007, Murdoch stepped down as CEO from BSkyB and was appointed non-executive chairman of the company (a position formerly held by his father, Rupert).[13]

In a related announcement, Murdoch also took "direct responsibility for the strategic and operational development of News Corporation's television, newspaper, and related digital assets in Europe, Asia, and the Middle East."[14] This included holdings such as News InternationalSKY ItaliaSTAR Group ltdand possibly other News Corp. related assets. He was based at News International's headquarters in WappingEast London.

In February 2009, Murdoch was appointed a non-executive director with the British pharmaceutical company GlaxoSmithKline.[15]

In August 2009, Murdoch delivered the MacTaggart Memorial Lecture at the Edinburgh International Television Festival, in which he attacked the BBC and UK media regulator Ofcom calling the BBC's expansion "chilling" and "In this all-media marketplace, the expansion of state-sponsored journalism is a threat to the plurality and independence of news provision, which are so important for our democracy."[12][16] The BBC chairman, Sir Michael Lyons officially responded, "We have to be careful not to reduce the whole of broadcasting to some simple economic transactions. The BBC's public purposes stress the importance of the well-tested principles of educating and informing, and an impartial contribution to debate in the UK."[17]

In April 2010, Murdoch and his associate Rebekah Brooks stormed into the offices of The Independentto complain about an advertisement campaign by the newspaper.[18] The advertisement read, "Rupert Murdoch won't decide this election—you will."

In April 2014, it was announced that Murdoch would join the board of advertising start-up True[X] Media.[19]

In June 2015, his father, Rupert announced he would be leaving his position as CEO of 21st Century Fox and James will take over the position in the near future.[20]

In January 2016, Murdoch became the chairman of Sky, Britain's subscription broadcaster.[21]

In July 2017, Murdoch became an independent director on the board of Tesla[22]

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

If it all stays under the evil Murdoch you'd think that would make you happy then. 

I'm not betting on it though.  Iger wouldn't step down for Murdoch. (well unless they paid him billions)

And there would be massive Disney Stockholder resistence to a Murdoch taking over.

As I said, that Guardian article does not offer much proof that Murdoch is being seriously considered. And given that the Guardian basically hates the Murdochs guts and see them as the Boogey Man.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dudalb said:

And there would be massive Disney Stockholder resistence to a Murdoch taking over.

As I said, that Guardian article does not offer much proof that Murdoch is being seriously considered. And given that the Guardian basically hates the Murdochs guts and see them as the Boogey Man.

I seriously doubt he is being considered as well. Iger keeps announcing dates when he will be stepping down and then keeps getting extensions. Disney isn't buying Fox to get its next CEO.

11 minutes ago, Orestes said:

Wasn't there talk a while back about Disney buying Netflix? Its obviously not going to happen now, but was there anything to it, or was it just an unfounded rumor?

It was a rumor. I am not sure how much truth there was to it, but I imagine Disney thought about it. They decided to create their own streaming service instead. That's when they realized they needed more content and looked into purchasing Fox. I think buying Fox is a smarter move than buying Netflix.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Orestes said:

Wasn't there talk a while back about Disney buying Netflix? Its obviously not going to happen now, but was there anything to it, or was it just an unfounded rumor?

Netflix stock is so overvalued now it would not only be very difficult but very bad business

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Walt Disney said:

Comcast already bought Universal. That was the first move in the new round of Hollywood take-overs. AT&T is trying to buy WB. Disney itself was rumored to be taken over by Apple or Verizon. Disney buying Fox is to actually prevent another company from taking them over.

I would expect any combination of Netflix, Amazon, Apple and Verizon to make a play for any combination of Sony Pictures, Paramount, Lionsgate, and MGM.

I like the idea of having majors studios. i understand companies will buy them out but I rather have a none film company buy out 20th Century Fox

7 hours ago, Walt Disney said:

But a lot of that has to do with peoples' political leanings. Staggs and Rasulo had a stench from their vision (or lack thereof) for the company as a whole and from being part of the old Eisner regime. Disney clearly needs to move in a different direction to compete. Murdoch doesn't have those short-comings and would bring a new perspective to the company. He could have other short-comings, but I haven't heard of any, except that his last name is Murdoch, which again goes back to political leanings.

I'm opposed just because having someone at Fox involved might be someone who thought Fox's version of the X-men was a good plan.

But it could be a genius move politically.    Hollywood already has a stronghold with the left side of the aisle.    Disney bringing in someone that the right might identify with could broaden their reach.

• Like 1