Dementeleus

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

Just now, Nova said:

Yes. When critics reviews came out. I was trolling you and other JC fans. But I didn’t do it because I’m a fanboy nor was I doing it to start a fan boy war considering I didn’t mention any other franchise. 

At the time it would have been totally valid to threadban you if they want to keep the thread fanboy war clean because it's the sort of post that belongs  in this thread. I've got nothing against you, I was just giving examples of posters that post fanboy war stuff in the Alita thread. 

I myself do it too when I reply to posts like that, I should just ignore them and move along but I don't.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Got negative spin for everything posters who clearly have something against Alita or the Jim gang like Mulder and Lord Dex,

Stop assuming I have something against Alita. You haven't even seen half my comments. In fact, my second-weekend prediction for the movie was higher than what had actually happened. The only thing I am against is people saying dumb things which you did a lot.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Nova said:

Yes. When critics reviews came out. I was trolling you and other JC fans as a joke. But I didn’t do it because I’m a fanboy nor was I doing it to start a fan boy war considering I didn’t mention any other franchise. 

And if you look at my posts (before and after reviews came out) I’ve always been supportive of the movie even if when the trailer dropped it wasn’t my cup of tea. 

ETA: I understand that trolling is ban worthy and if you want me banned from the thread so be it. But I didn’t go into that thread and only troll you and other JC fans. Nor did I respond to every single one of your posts in there trying to pick a fight with you. If you think posting memes as a joke should be a ban worthy offense and this place is gonna be drier than a piece of toast that’s been out for weeks. 

I don't want you banned from the thread and would myself would allow it.

The thing is the thread is currently locked and there are people who want to discuss Alita, that's the mods decision not mine. If they want to crackdown on thread to allow Alita fans to dicuss Alita they got to crackdown on certain posts, or you know not lock the thread (#freeAlita).

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

At the time it would have been totally valid to threadban you if they want to keep the thread fanboy war clean because it's the sort of post that belongs  in this thread. I've got nothing against you, I was just giving examples of posters that post fanboy war stuff in the Alita thread. 

I myself do it too when I reply to posts like that, I should just ignore them and move along but I don't.

See that’s where you and I disagree. I don’t think you or anyone else should be banned for posting memes that are trollish but at the same time joking. I don’t think you should be banned for being a huge fan of a film/director to the point where you get defensive. Hey it happens to all of us. But I do think those that are in a thread purely to bring a toxic atmosphere should be banned. And I can usually tell which posters are trolling to be a jokester and which posters are trolling in order to bring about a toxic environment. The latter will keep repeating the same thing over and over and over again. The former don’t and usually leave it to just memes and of course eventually leave the topic alone. 

I think there is a fine balance that mods have to walk and I don’t know about you but I’d hate to see the fun being taken out of this place. 

But hey if banning any and all trolling will bring about a solid Alita thread (or any thread for that matter) then the mods should go for it. I’ve already said in this thread that mods should open the thread back up and just ban any poster who is bringing about a toxicity to it without warning because it’s not fair to fans like yourself who want to discuss the movie. I’m on your side bud! Lol 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Nova said:

See that’s where you and I disagree. I don’t think you or anyone else should be banned for posting memes that are trollish but at the same time joking. I don’t think you should be banned for being a huge fan of a film/director to the point where you get defensive. Hey it happens to all of us. But I do think those that are in a thread purely to bring a toxic atmosphere should be banned. And I can usually tell which posters are trolling to be a jokester and which posters are trolling in order to bring about a toxic environment. The latter will keep repeating the same thing over and over and over again. The former don’t and usually leave it to just memes and of course eventually leave the topic alone. 

I think there is a fine balance that mods have to walk and I don’t know about you but I’d hate to see the fun being taken out of this place. 

But hey if banning any and all trolling will bring about a solid Alita thread (or any thread for that matter) then the mods should go for it. I’ve already said in this thread that mods should open the thread back up and just ban any poster who is bringing about a toxicity to it without warning because it’s not fair to fans like yourself who want to discuss the movie. I’m on your side bud! Lol 

I can tell aswell and you are defo the jokester type! Don't take it personally.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Fair enough @IronJimbo. I'll give you my thoughts on Alita.

Finally saw it last night (was supposed to see it opening Sunday but something came up). i thoroughly enjoyed it! Alita herself, of course, was the highlight. The CGI/character design + Rosa's performance made me buy in completely. Another thing I loved was that the film as a whole had a ton of heart. That's' what made it work. Take a movie like, say, Ghost in the Shell, and there's not nearly as much heart. I'd totally be up for a sequel.

That being said, I stand by my comments on the box office, which are irrelevant from how I personally feel about the film. Despite the quality, these things are just a hard sell in a franchise-heavy market.

I think at the end of the day what people want from you and the other Cameron super-fans is to be informed of box office trends while being optimistic about a Cameron project. If you want to be taken serious, don't just blindly stan for Cameron and Co. Take into account the rules of box office, per se, one of which being that manga, seemingly no matter how well done, just doesn't sell in NA. That's what a lot of people were calling well before the film was released.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Fair enough @IronJimbo. I'll give you my thoughts on Alita.

Finally saw it last night (was supposed to see it opening Sunday but something came up). i thoroughly enjoyed it! Alita herself, of course, was the highlight. The CGI/character design + Rosa's performance made me buy in completely. Another thing I loved was that the film as a whole had a ton of heart. That's' what made it work. Take a movie like, say, Ghost in the Shell, and there's not nearly as much heart. I'd totally be up for a sequel.

That being said, I stand by my comments on the box office, which are irrelevant from how I personally feel about the film. Despite the quality, these things are just a hard sell in a franchise-heavy market.

I think at the end of the day what people want from you and the other Cameron super-fans is to be informed of box office trends while being optimistic about a Cameron project. If you want to be taken serious, don't just blindly stan for Cameron and Co. Take into account the rules of box office, per se, one of which being that manga, seemingly no matter how well done, just doesn't sell in NA. That's what a lot of people were calling well before the film was released.

There wasn't anything blind about my prediction, the only rule I ignored of box office was legs which I thought were going to be much better.

I accurately predicted pretty much everything about Alita except legs, fully expected it to not drop off so much.

Then we have fan reception, critic reception being much worse, 3D being a draw, Jim's name being a draw, manga being a non-factor, the cgi being incredible, the eyes being completely believable (let's take a moment to remember eye jokes) and the action being electric. I expected Hugo to be done a bit better due to it being a Jim script but I guess that's just one of Jim's directing talents.

You know I made this thread so people would take me seriously.

It even has a reponse to your manga rule of box office, which I think has no legs to stand on and is overblown.

Ghost in the Shell and Anime movies

There's an argument being used that because all other Hollywood anime adaptions have failed that Alita will aswell. It sounds like a compelling argument at first glance but the problem is they're talking about literally three films (Ghost in the Shell, Dragon Ball Evolution and Speed Racer). All three films were poorly received which is bad for new IPs (in the west) and only GiTs is really comparable but even that is a stretch.

Alita and Ghost in the Shell are very different films when you go a level deeper than “anime films with robot girl”. Ghost in the Shell is a crime/drama with hard philosophical undertone’s targeted at male adults. Whereas Alita is an action/romance with big world-building and large spectacle yet grounded in emotion that targets the same audience that Avatar did.

Rodriguez said about “Ghost’s” box office failure. “I think it’s because they didn’t connect emotionally. I felt like I was only looking at it; I wasn’t feeling it. Our story and character feel so relatable. That’s why we used real sets. It’s got to be really grounded.

With regards to the Alita thread, to me your posts felt as though you had a bone to pick with the JC gang, which is fine in this thread. In the Alita thread it just starts a flamewar and gets it locked.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 5

I think maybe I did start getting repetitive in the Alita thread with regards to its box office. And I acknowledge that that was not the best thing for the thread so I will apologize for that. I'm just a realist when it comes to box office numbers regardless of my opinion of a film. I think that I should keep my talk about Alita's box office numbers on Twitter mostly and in this thread because I do think that the hardcore James Cameron fans should be able to have a more positive leaning Alita thread.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, JB33 said:

But those are not really rules in the sense that they are part of nature right? Wasnt "female led SH movies dont work" also one of these rules. It might be that manga adaptions do have even more stacked against them, but i dont think that just giving up trying is the right way to go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If Alita didn't cost $167M, no one and I mean no one would be calling it a box office "failure." I actually think its domestic numbers are really good. No it's not going to cross $100M but grossing between $85-$90M isn't bad either. And I actually think its gross in North America is a step in the right direction for anime movies. I mean Ghost in the shell made 40.5M domestically and speed racer made $43.5M. Alita is looking to double both of those movies at the domestic box office. Maybe Alita doesn't get a sequel. Maybe it does. But I think a lot of you are ignoring what Alita could possibly do for future live action animes. If anything Alita's box office shows that there is an audience for these types of movies. Studios just need to find the right way to tap into it. 

• Like 4

I agree that Alita's box office is a good step forward for the genre but Terminator Genisys supposedly cost 155mil to make and did 89.7mil domestically. If I were to call Alita making that amount on a 170mil budget good then I would have to say the same about Terminator Genisys and I just can't bring myself to say that. 

• Haha 2

Alita crossed 70M DOM this weekend. For a live-action manga adaption (that cleary marketed itself as a manga adaption), thats very impressive. Its 350M worlwide total atm is also very impressive for this niche genre.

The only downside is the budget. In a vaccuum, Alita is a success story, through the financial perspective, its not.

However, for me personally, box office is secondary to the movie itself. And Alita is a very good movie! Maybe id even say its a great one.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I agree that Alita's box office is a good step forward for the genre but Terminator Genisys supposedly cost 155mil to make and did 89.7mil domestically. If I were to call Alita making that amount on a 170mil budget good then I would have to say the same about Terminator Genisys and I just can't bring myself to say that. 

2 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Alita crossed 70M DOM this weekend. For a live-action manga adaption (that cleary marketed itself as a manga adaption), thats very impressive. Its 350M worlwide total atm is also very impressive for this niche genre.

The only downside is the budget. In a vaccuum, Alita is a success story, through the financial perspective, its not.

However, for me personally, box office is secondary to the movie itself. And Alita is a very good movie! Maybe id even say its a great one.

The problem has always been its budget. But any movie made for that amount is always gonna be in a hole and unless it's a sure fire thing like a Marvel movie, DC movie or Star Wars movie, it's very hard to recoup budget back. But I think sometimes us box office nerds get really caught up in whether a movie is profitable or not. We don't look at other aspects for example how an anime film could possibly leg it to $90M domestic which is a great thing for the genre even if it's not so great for the movie itself because of how much it cost. So yes it is hard to ignore the budget of the movie however I think we can all agree that there are positives that have come from Alita's box office run :) 

*I am out of likes which is why I responded* 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Nova said:

The problem has always been its budget. But any movie made for that amount is always gonna be in a hole and unless it's a sure fire thing like a Marvel movie, DC movie or Star Wars movie, it's very hard to recoup budget back. But I think sometimes us box office nerds get really caught up in whether a movie is profitable or not. We don't look at other aspects for example how an anime film could possibly leg it to $90M domestic which is a great thing for the genre even if it's not so great for the movie itself because of how much it cost. So yes it is hard to ignore the budget of the movie however I think we can all agree that there are positives that have come from Alita's box office run :) 

*I am out of likes which is why I responded* 

Maybe the next Manga adaption will actually be decent to good like Alita (or better) and finally do well in North America. I certainly hope so. I love Manga/Anime.

• Like 1

Just now, Zakiyyah6 said:

Maybe the next Manga adaption will actually be decent to good like Alita (or better) and finally do well in North America. I certainly hope so. I love Manga/Anime.

I agree. I think the best thing we can hope for as fans of movies and box office is for the next adaptation to build off of what Alita was able to do. And hopefully Manga/Anime can become a more staple thing at the domestic box office. 

• Thanks 2