Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

14 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

i hope the #SuccessStory thread stays locked

Pathetic. I wasn't posting there, but I was seeing the news about the movie. Locking the topic instead of organizing it is ridiculous.

• Like 5

Just read the last couple pages of the Alita thread. What the fuck is wrong with some of you? 

Also I don’t think the thread should be archived. I think the thread should be reopened and just like what happened with Captain Marvel, posters who don’t follow the rules, should be immediately thread banned. It’s not fair to posters who actually want to discuss the movie to have that ruined because of some posters who don’t follow the rules/aren’t respectful. Of course I’m not a mod and I respect the hell out of what they do. Just a suggestion though. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 4

2 weeks after CM is a success, doubling its expected box office, earning universal praise from audiences around the globe, I want to go into the CM thread, argue why CM:2 isn’t happening, constantly talk about how CM actually didn’t do anything impressive at the BO, rehash the same points over and over, and then beg for the thread to be locked after the inevitable arguing and people calling me stupid to see if

a) I get threadbanned 

or

b) Thread gets locked

🤔

#FreeAlita

Edited by Pure Spirit
Accuracy
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 2

56 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Oh yeah, it was Snyder who sent the message with the 30-second cameo Wonder Woman in BvS where 90% of the time it is Bruce Wayne trying to get it on with her. Snyder is the genius here, not Patty Jenkins. I mean what did Jenkins do? All she did was direct a movie about the character that actually talked about the strengths of femininity and empathy. That is so not that big of a deal. /s

You Snyder fanboys are funny. Also by your logic, people were excited for Aquaman because of Justice League so Joss Whedon is a genius and the entire world loved Justice League.

Hardcore Snyder fanboys have a love/hate relationship with Patty Jenkins Wonder Woman. On the one hand they want to pretend that the film was directed by Zack Snyder in order to give him a win outside of 300 and on the other hand they deride it as a "Marvel Movie" because it has humor and charm and they cannot stand humor and charm in comic book movies.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Hardcore Snyder fanboys have a love/hate relationship with Patty Jenkins Wonder Woman. On the one hand they want to pretend that the film was directed by Zack Snyder in order to give him a win outside of 300 and on the other hand they deride it as a "Marvel Movie" because it has humor and charm and they cannot stand humor and charm in comic book movies.

I think Snyderbros are the only kind of superfans I don't understand at all.  I get the Nolanites, MCU, Cameron Cultists, QT fans, Fincher fans, etc.... But Zack freaking Snyder?  I just...

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, chuck0 said:

Havent been on this forum a lot for the past few years, but has it gotten common that movie threads get locked that easily? Also, it is somewhat annoying that the JC gang (which is not completely innocent in provoking the lock) will just move on to their Avatar thread, but those that were actually interested in A:BA will now have no place to talk.

I would say back in the day social political, racial, cultural issues were not talked much.

So the flame wars were more about the film itself. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

32 minutes ago, Nova said:

Just read the last couple pages of the Alita thread. What the fuck is wrong with some of you? 

Also I don’t think the thread should be archived. I think the thread should be reopened and just like what happened with Captain Marvel, posters who don’t follow the rules, should be immediately thread banned. It’s not fair to posters who actually want to discuss the movie to have that ruined because of some posters who don’t follow the rules/aren’t respectful. Of course I’m not a mod and I respect the hell out of what they do. Just a suggestion though. 

Usually posts get edited or hidden after a thread lock too, maybe you haven't even seen the worst?

Depending on how much time and energy the mods have (they have family, work, study,... too) and how many other threads got some troublemakers in it (we had quite a few thread locks the last week+ or so ), that can take time (btw, unpaid mods,... should be enormous respect getting by all here, I agree fully to that).

53 minutes ago, chuck0 said:

Havent been on this forum a lot for the past few years, but has it gotten common that movie threads get locked that easily? Also, it is somewhat annoying that the JC gang (which is not completely innocent in provoking the lock) will just move on to their Avatar thread, but those that were actually interested in A:BA will now have no place to talk.

The JC gang also likes to talk about Alita Chuck0. I've seen this damn movie 6 times now and read the manga and been waiting for it for 15 years, the film is also still in cinema. 

Locking the thread is just lazy. We get these vague mod posts every so often asking everyone to settle down or lock/archive the thread instead of actually dealing with the issue.

Sure it's a back and forth but it's clearly instigated by people who have some sort of bias against Alita.

#freeAlita

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Of the lighter DCEU fare, from what I gather WW is the least "MCU" because the humor & charm isn't so retarded and rote.

I make more comparisons with Disney princess flicks on account of how familiar the approach is. 

37 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

I think Snyderbros are the only kind of superfans I don't understand at all.  I get the Nolanites, MCU, Cameron Cultists, QT fans, Fincher fans, etc.... But Zack freaking Snyder?  I just...

If I had a nickle...

Pretty simple. The guy goes for it with characters, with action, with the whole lived in-feel. He pokes fun of things, shocks & awes without having to be so..."live/pre-recorded studio audience".

Makes me reminisce of Paul Verhoeven if instead of scifi he did fantasy, but that's just me.

2 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Double standards on this site are ridiculous.

If it was a Marvel or Star Wars thread you'll have just threadbanned the troublemakers.

Well the Captain Marvel thread was locked for 24 hours just a few days ago.

1 minute ago, Horner said:

Well the Captain Marvel thread was locked for 24 hours just a few days ago.

Fair enough. The mods said they were considering archiving the Alita thread.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

The JC gang also likes to talk about Alita Chuck0. I've seen this damn movie 6 times now and read the manga and been waiting for it for 15 years, the film is also still in cinema. 

Locking the thread is just lazy. We get these vague mod posts every so often asking everyone to settle down or lock/archive the thread instead of actually dealing with the issue.

Sure it's a back and forth but it's clearly instigated by people who have some sort of bias against Alita.

#freeAlita

Right, the thing is that you guys are very intense in stating your points. There is usually no "but" or "maybe" involved. And that is fine when arguing about things like Avatar BO numbers or Titanic legs because those are facts. When defending/attacking something like Alita usually both sides are at least partially right because the movie is so "inbetween" everything (no idea how to get this into better english). Critically the movie is right between fresh and rotten (after 270 reviews i think it is still only two or so removed from rotten again). Financially it is not a complete flop (like many hoped/predicted) and not a smash hit (like many hoped/predicted). And on an artistic level there is even more subjectivity involved.

So if you bring "JC is the king of BO and movies" style arguing into a discussion about Alita, you open yourself up to a lot of criticism and attacks that will escalate.

1 hour ago, Lordmandeep said:

I would say back in the day social political, racial, cultural issues were not talked much.

So the flame wars were more about the film itself. 

the funny thing is that social/political/racial/cultural issues were not discussed in the Alita thread. At least as far as i can tell (please correct me if i am wrong here) it was just about whether the movie was a success or not. And since that means something different to everybody, people started to resort to name calling.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chuck0 said:

Right, the thing is that you guys are very intense in stating your points. There is usually no "but" or "maybe" involved. And that is fine when arguing about things like Avatar BO numbers or Titanic legs because those are facts. When defending/attacking something like Alita usually both sides are at least partially right because the movie is so "inbetween" everything (no idea how to get this into better english). Critically the movie is right between fresh and rotten (after 270 reviews i think it is still only two or so removed from rotten again). Financially it is not a complete flop (like many hoped/predicted) and not a smash hit (like many hoped/predicted). And on an artistic level there is even more subjectivity involved.

So if you bring "JC is the king of BO and movies" style arguing into a discussion about Alita, you open yourself up to a lot of criticism and attacks that will escalate.

the funny thing is that social/political/racial/cultural issues were not discussed in the Alita thread. At least as far as i can tell (please correct me if i am wrong here) it was just about whether the movie was a success or not. And since that means something different to everybody, people started to resort to name calling.

If I must be banned from the thread to get it reopened then so be it, personally I don't think I deserve to be threadbanned.

With the other threads on this board it's usually the negative posters who aren't talking about the film and are rather in the thread to  sort of fan war (poison the well). There are quite a few valid posters like Zaki, Deep Wang who always like to take the "realistic" spin on things and will argue a small point to the death, these are fine. Got negative spin for everything posters who clearly have something against Alita or the Jim gang like Mulder and Lord Dex, the former should be removed as they explicitly said they wanted the thread archived. You got the trolls who are there to spread anti-alita memes and try and instigate a fan war like Ozymadius, Premiun George and Nova, defo should be threadbanned. Posters whose sole reason for posting in the thread is to bad mouth Cameron fans like George Par, salvador, Terrorstial, JB33, cooleric and dudadadadlab (why are they even posting in the thread, these are the worst imo should be threadbanned). Take posters, who love to give their take on the state of BOT and it's fans, rather than talk about alita, like Brainbug and yourmother.

Then you got me, who mainly posts about Alita but takes the bait far too often.

I'm not saying we should remove the negativity but we should definitely thread ban those who there only to derail the thread.

@DeeCee

@aabattery

#freealita

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1

4 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

If I must be banned from the thread to get it reopened then so be it, personally I don't think I deserve to be threadbanned.

With the other threads on this board it's usually the negative posters who aren't talking about the film and are rather in the thread to  sort of fan war (poison the well). There are quite a few valid posters like Zaki, Deep Wang who always like to take the "realistic" spin on things and will argue a small point to the death, these are fine. Got negative spin for everything posters who clearly have something against Alita or the Jim gang like Mulder and Lord Dex, the former should be removed as they explicitly said they wanted the thread archived. You got the trolls who are there to spread anti-alita memes and try and instigate a fan war like Ozymadius, Premiun George and Nova, defo should be threadbanned. Posters whose sole reason for posting in the thread is to bad mouth Cameron fans like George Par, Terrorstial, JB33, cooleric and dudadadadlab (why are they even posting in the thread, these are the worst imo should be threadbanned). Take posters, who love to give their take on the state of BOT and it's fans, rather than talk about alita, like Brainbug and yourmother.

Then you got me, who mainly posts about Alita but takes the bait far too often.

I'm not saying we should remove the negativity but we should definitely thread ban those who there only to derail the thread.

@DeeCee

@aabattery

#freealita

When was the last time I posted in the Alita thread? Furthermore when was the last time I instigated a flame war in said thread? The worst thing I did in that thread was roast you and other JC fans when the first critics reviews came out. I’m pretty sure my last post  in there was defending the movie’s box office and in other threads I’ve repeatedly said films like Alita are actually important for Hollywood and box office but please do go off about me instigating flame wars. 

Unless you can back up I did what you said I did, keep my name out of your posts especially when it comes to things like bans. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nova said:

When was the last time I posted in the Alita thread? Furthermore when was the last time I instigated a flame war in said thread? The worst thing I did in that thread was roast you and other JC fans when the first critics reviews came out. 

Unless you can back up I did what you said I did, keep my name out of your posts especially when it comes to things like bans. 

It feels harsh because you did that like 3 weeks ago.

However you came and posted quite a few meme posts which were there to start a fanboy war.

From memory, you did a spongebob meme, derailing train and a picture of a giant turd.

Now I don't think you should be banned but that's exactly the sort of posts which starts a fanboy war and gets the thread locked, and it would have been totally valid to threadban you at the time.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

It feels harsh because you did that like 3 weeks ago.

However you came and posted quite a few meme posts which were there to start a fanboy war.

From memory, you did a spongebob meme, derailing train and a picture of a giant turd.

Now I don't think you should be banned but that's exactly the sort of posts which starts a fanboy war and gets the thread locked.

Yes. When critics reviews came out. I was trolling you and other JC fans as a joke. But I didn’t do it because I’m a fanboy nor was I doing it to start a fan boy war considering I didn’t mention any other franchise. 

And if you look at my posts (before and after reviews came out) I’ve always been supportive of the movie even if when the trailer dropped it wasn’t my cup of tea. 

ETA: I understand that trolling is ban worthy and if you want me banned from the thread so be it. But I didn’t go into that thread and only troll you and other JC fans. Nor did I respond to every single one of your posts in there trying to pick a fight with you. 

Edited by Nova