Dementeleus

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

2 hours ago, DeeCee said:

I really want to post something that is in Captain Marvel and that is tangentially linked to Alita although it involves firmly securing your tin foil hat and is technically a spoiler but doesn’t really spoil anything. 

Post it. 

• Like 1

So Captain Marvel has a 67 on RT Top Critics, a 83 from All Critics and a 66 on MC.

Yet some say this movie is not mixed and it's receiving so much positivity....okay. Also I took a gander at some of the reviews and I'm so confused about RT's fresh/rotten scale. Because a lot of the reviews they say are fresh are pretty borderline rotten. Also one critic gets a fresh with a C- review while the C+ one gets a rotten?

I get so confused with RT sometimes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

So Captain Marvel has a 67 on RT Top Critics, a 83 from All Critics and a 66 on MC.

Yet some say this movie is not mixed and it's receiving so much positivity....okay. Also I took a gander at some of the reviews and I'm so confused about RT's fresh/rotten scale. Because a lot of the reviews they say are fresh are pretty borderline rotten. Also one critic gets a fresh with a C- review while the C+ one gets a rotten?

There’s not a default rule for what kind of rating constitutes as being fresh. As far as critics like Matthew Lickona are concerned, a 2/5 is a positive rating, while for other critics, a 2.5/4 might be a negative rating. 

1 hour ago, Pure Spirit said:

Friendly reminder that Avatar 2 will be to Avatar 1 as Judgement Day was to The Terminator.

You are not prepared. Tick tock tick tock next year... it’s coming... 

tick tock Disney drones, the real Disney takeover about to happen

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cappoedameron said:

I'm so confused about RT's fresh/rotten scale. Because a lot of the reviews they say are fresh are pretty borderline rotten. Also one critic gets a fresh with a C- review while the C+ one gets a rotten?

45 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

There’s not a default rule for what kind of rating constitutes as being fresh. As far as critics like Matthew Lickona are concerned, a 2/5 is a positive rating, while for other critics, a 2.5/4 might be a negative rating. 

I'll try it again:

RT offers 2 different kind of appraisals:

rating: that is, what you'll know from other websites too. Like 7/10...

An critic's approach:

A critic looks at a movie not the same way as a GA. He/she looks for story telling, edit, development, cinematography, ... the typical details out of the film making art.

A GA's approach:

GA looks for e.g. to find in an action movie... action, looks very often more for thrills, speed. Plus a cool story,....

Or a romance that convinces or...

Hence why the GA mostly rates like: 7/10 of GAs viewing goals and expectations for a genre movie got fulfilled,...

Now to the score like it is done at RT:

critics give an additional appraisal:

is the movie enjoyable/recommendable.

I think everyone watched sometimes a movie that wasn't that great quality-wise but was still fun to watch, enjoyable

So if 81 critics out of 100 critics say, they enjoyed it, it has a 81% critics score

But;

a movie can be done technically great, follow all the rules of the film making art lets say it gets a 7/10. But something makes the movie still boring, looks like too often already seen, or otherwise not enjoyable. Than the critic gives it a rotten. 7/10 - rotten is seldom, but I've seen it repeatedly. 6.5/10 - rotten happens surprisingly often.

The other way around a 4/10 (seldom) 4.5/10, 5/10, 5.5/10, ... can get a fresh too. If lots was to criticize or expectations got not fulfilled (should not happen to a pro critic, but it does happen), but the movie is fun, is enjoyable, it can get a fresh.

audience give an indirect additional appraisal (like formulated at RT actually):

Audience gives up to 5/5 ratings, the ratings can be chosen per half steps.

all ratings up to 3/5 (6/10) are getting automatically a rotten, all 3.5 or higher (7/10) will get a fresh.

Same mechanics as the score of the critics, out of all of the calculated fresh/rotten of the audience they then create an audience score.

Any questions left?

Edited by terrestrial

1 hour ago, Cappoedameron said:

that's the main problem with RT. pass = fresh, rave = fresh. a passable movie can have as high % as a raved one or more (if raved one has more detractors and gets more rotten reviews, while passable is more agreeable and given more passes).

that's why we have MC to go by and MC is the reason why BP got Picture nomination. 88 MC is very high. 

but like always, read reviews for % and "consensus" don't show the clear picture of how movie is actually received. you can't pick up on nuances from just those 2.

Damn! The CM thread was closed again!??!!??

Anyway, now at 82 % with 151 reviews. Will this go below 80? At one point I thought that there was no way it would end up below 90, but here we are. Also, it is true (and weird) that many of the supposedly fresh reviews are essentially rotten with a light sprinkling of positive things about the film. I don't understand RT either....

7 minutes ago, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

Damn! The CM thread was closed again!??!!??

Anyway, now at 82 % with 151 reviews. Will this go below 80? At one point I thought that there was no way it would end up below 90, but here we are. Also, it is true (and weird) that many of the supposedly fresh reviews are essentially rotten with a light sprinkling of positive things about the film. I don't understand RT either....

It's down to 64 on Metacritic, so it's possible.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

that's why we have MC to go by and MC is the reason

MC is more than questionable due to their methods.

What the owners already agree to themselves, not even they know why so many ppl take that seriously. Why it is so big seems to be that they started the rating as a game rating thing, the then teens /YA got so used to use / trust them for ratings... But their film critic contributors are partly not even critics, e.g. like the journalists of a small city who usually writes about local events,... and a handful of reviews per year about the occasional movie he watches (e.g. then an Avatar critic)

In addition they do not disclose a couple of not small details how the interpret and calculate out of the reviews.

But it is usually ~ gamer POV friendly.

I think that, at the end of the day, there is no substantial correlation between the gender of the reviewer and their propensity to review a superhero film badly or positively if the film stars a woman or a man. Wonder Woman had several bad reviews from female critics, and so does CM. And of course, the majority of critics are guys, and Wonder Woman got an overall 93 % fresh, while 82 % of critics so far have given Captain Marvel positive notices.

2 hours ago, Pure Spirit said:

Friendly reminder that Avatar 2 will be to Avatar 1 as Judgement Day was to The Terminator.

You are not prepared. Tick tock tick tock next year... it’s coming... 

Didn't you Cameron aficionados say that Alita would break all kinds of records?

Anyway, Avatar 2 has nowhere to go but down as far as box office. The first one was just too successful. 

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

I'll try it again:

RT offers 2 different kind of appraisals:

rating: that is, what you'll know from other websites too. Like 7/10...

An critic's approach:

A critic looks at a movie not the same way as a GA. He/she looks for story telling, edit, development, cinematography, ... the typical details out of the film making art.

A GA's approach:

GA looks for e.g. to find in an action movie... action, looks very often more for thrills, speed. Plus a cool story,....

Or a romance that convinces or...

Hence why the GA mostly rates like: 7/10 of GAs viewing goals and expectations for a genre movie got fulfilled,...

Now to the score like it is done at RT:

critics give an additional appraisal:

is the movie enjoyable/recommendable.

I think everyone watched sometimes a movie that wasn't that great quality-wise but was still fun to watch, enjoyable

So if 81 critics out of 100 critics say, they enjoyed it, it has a 81% critics score

But;

a movie can be done technically great, follow all the rules of the film making art lets say it gets a 7/10. But something makes the movie still boring, looks like too often already seen, or otherwise not enjoyable. Than the critic gives it a rotten. 7/10 - rotten is seldom, but I've seen it repeatedly. 6.5/10 - rotten happens surprisingly often.

The other way around a 4/10 (seldom) 4.5/10, 5/10, 5.5/10, ... can get a fresh too. If lots was to criticize or expectations got not fulfilled (should not happen to a pro critic, but it does happen), but the movie is fun, is enjoyable, it can get a fresh.

audience give an indirect additional appraisal (like formulated at RT actually):

Audience gives up to 5/5 ratings, the ratings can be chosen per half steps.

all ratings up to 3/5 (6/10) are getting automatically a rotten, all 3.5 or higher (7/10) will get a fresh.

Same mechanics as the score of the critics, out of all of the calculated fresh/rotten of the audience they then create an audience score.

Any questions left?

I never had any questions. I was simply answering the other poster’s question.

11 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

I will say that TheMarySue is not helping Captain Marvel at all when they put headlines how all the bad reviews are only from men.

It seems that Stephanie Zacharek, Kristen Lopez, Laura Clifford, Esther Zuckermann, Mara Reinstein, Katie Walsh and Lindsey Bahr are not women according to TheMarySue. Maybe they're male skrulls in disguise.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

I will say that TheMarySue is not helping Captain Marvel at all when they put headlines how all the bad reviews are only from men.

you are aware about not everyone in the net is a male who says so and not everyone is a woman who says so. If you look closley at design, wordings,... some of them started out odly ... not looking like they belonged from the start into that 'team'

The ones that are, are as well agitators, as the others are.

1 minute ago, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

I think that, at the end of the day, there is no substantial correlation between the gender of the reviewer and their propensity to review a superhero film badly or positively if the film stars a woman or a man. Wonder Woman had several bad reviews from female critics, and so does CM. And of course, the majority of critics are guys, and Wonder Woman got an overall 93 % fresh, while 82 % of critics so far have given Captain Marvel positive notices.

Senior film writer at The Hollywood Reporter, in charge of box office (insanity). Opinions my own.

@PamelaDayM

Pamela McClintock Retweeted Hollywood Reporter

I’m not a critic but here’s what I would add after seeing #CaptainMarvel: it’s so refreshing to see a female superhero who isn’t sexed-up and who doesn’t have a love interest.

That is the tweet she added to a retweet of her magazines review tweet. She usually does not do that.

Other female writers find it interesting how many male writers not once wrote the term woman/women incl about Brie/character. Might sound harmless, but it was a discussion starter.

What and why females might find the movie 'refreshing',.... I think the most male writers either do not know, are not aware or do not think about without getting pointed at, and as such do not add to a description why a certain movie might appeal to - in this case - females. Not all is about the ratings, it can be also the whys for ratings.

In CMs case, there are female critics that gave rotten bcs the feminist ~ promise was not fulfilled (enough). Or the usual reasons.....

• Like 1