Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

7 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

He can do good things and still have said something elitist here. Having done great things doesn't make one immune from criticism. And "tastes don't gel" is one thing, but saying they're "not cinema" and "don't convey emotional, psychological experiences" is something else.

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

Martin Scorsese is right and everyone knows it. More respected people in Hollywood should speak up about that nonsense glorification of Marvel movies.

Before you quote me, I know DC is following suit and I hate that. Justice League (the theatrical version) and Shazam were an insult. But I still have hopes for Birds of Prey and Wonder Woman 2 (after all, they are releasing a real movie this weekend with Joker).

This is not on Marvel or Disney, they have the right to only do mediocre disposable garbage, like studios have been doing for years as well. The problem is people trying to force them down our throats as something other than that: trash. It's trash. Candy is not real food.

Not surprised that Napoleon is turning on DC,since it has become crystal clear Snyder no longer has any input into the DCU, despite a meaningless "Courtesy" producers credit.

I thoughly enjoyed "Shazam". But then, it not's all gritty and dark so naturally a Snyder fan would hate it.

And his blind hatred of the MCU has become a joke around here.

59 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

I guess he’s more of a Harold Lloyd guy.

GOd, we actually had a discussion of silent cinema going on here;how often does that happen?

FOr the record I love Chaplin and Keaton both, but admit I slightly prefer Keaton; I think "Sherlock Jr" and "The General" are my two favorite silent comedies.

"Sherlock Jr" in particular;a lot of the things Keaton does in that film are way ahead of their time.

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Martin Scorsese is right and everyone knows it. More respected people in Hollywood should speak up about that nonsense glorification of Marvel movies.

Before you quote me, I know DC is following suit and I hate that. Justice League (the theatrical version) and Shazam were an insult. But I still have hopes for Birds of Prey and Wonder Woman 2 (after all, they are releasing a real movie this weekend with Joker).

This is not on Marvel or Disney, they have the right to only do mediocre disposable garbage, like studios have been doing for years as well. The problem is people trying to force them down our throats as something other than that: trash. It's trash. Candy is not real food.

Insult to what? Shazam was a memorable movie that is the most Donner Superman like movie ever. If that isn't real cinema, then what is?

Scorsese isn't wrong.   The fact that the most interesting and compelling character by far in the MCU is a giant purple CGI space alien villain voiced by Josh Brolin says a lot.  I actually genuinely like Infinity War because of that character, which is more than I can say for any other movie in that universe(endgame was a noticeble drop in quality/entertainment value because he's barely in it imo... still leagues better than trash like Avatar though).

Unfortunately the future of real cinema is gonna be on streaming platforms IMO.  On average the best of streaming/TV has been superior to the best of movies for years now.  Heres hoping the new LOTR series is the one to rule them all like Jackson's trilogy in the movieverse.

Edited by Ozymandias

12 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Scorsese isn't wrong.   The fact that the most interesting and compelling character by far in the MCU is a giant purple CGI space alien villain voiced by Josh Brolin says a lot.  I actually genuinely like Infinity War because of that character, which is more than I can say for any other movie in that universe(endgame was a noticeble drop in quality/entertainment value because he's barely in it imo... still leagues better than trash like Avatar though).

Unfortunately the future of real cinema is gonna be on streaming platforms IMO.  On average the best of streaming/TV has been superior to the best of movies for years now.  Heres hoping the new LOTR series is the one to rule them all like Jackson's trilogy in the movieverse.

Not really, people won't care about "real" cinema or whatever delusions it means and the rules of economy will soon creep on Netflix and the like.

Vomit product that people don't watch won't work.

heard of Darwin ?

1 minute ago, The Futurist said:

Not really, people won't care about "real" cinema or whatever delusions it means and the rules of economy will soon creep on Netflix and the like.

Vomit product that people don't watch won't work.

heard of Darwin ?

Hey man I'd rather real cinema thrive at the theater, but I just don't see it with the the capabilities of streaming platforms with 8 hour movies like Stranger Things S1, True Detective S1, or The Expanse/High Castle on Amazon.   Movie theaters are gonna become primarily for the comfort junk food of cinema aka CBMs and empty CGI spectacles like Avatar, Terminator Sequels, Transformers, and Disney Wars.  I'm sorry, I'm so so sorry.

27 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

Shazam felt like a Disney channel movie to me. Too cutesy by half, even stacked up to the Big comparisons.

The boardroom scene wasn’t exactly what I’d describe as “cute”...

Edited by WittyUsername

2 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Very cute...

oh, i see you've only seen this one scene, which takes up 3% of the movie and isn't representative of the rest of the film. if you need me to be more specific to escape pedantry everything involving the title character and his family is too cute.

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

oh, i see you've only seen this one scene, which takes up 3% of the movie and isn't representative of the rest of the film. if you need me to be more specific to escape pedantry everything involving the title character and his family is too cute.

There was also that scene where the woman got vaporized by a door. Also, the main character had a pretty emotional scene where he “reunited” with his mother. 

To be clear, I’m not saying that Shazam! is some grim and gritty movie. It isn’t. However, I’d put it in the same boat as the Sam Raimi Spider-Man films, not a Disney Channel movie.

Edited by WittyUsername

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

I mean that scene alone would make shazam too mature than anything on Disney...

"real cinema"

"real movie"

It is another way to say "deplorables" and you perfectly know it no matter how hard you ll pretend it doesn't mean that.

It is pure hate class, condescension , a pure patronizing stance.

"Me ?

I like real movies, you know, true art, I am not like these peasants ... who chew Disney products for breakfast  and feel satisfied with it"

Please continue to reveal yourselves, it is hilarious and a bit pathetic.

Just a bit.

It s ok tho, take off the veil of your hypocrisy and be honest with yourself for a change.

It feels soooooo good to feel intellectually superior in your art tastes.

Perfectly human to feel tlike this.

Go to an art gallery to see what I mean , you ll see, the people over there are hilarious, a theater of pretence, vomiting their disdains of the peasants.

Yup, that s what you are doing and that s ok.

Try honesty sometimes, it doesn't hurt I promise.

Edited by The Futurist

1 minute ago, The Chad DC said:

I mean that scene alone would make shazam too mature than anything on Disney...

sure i guess. i'm just saying there were a lot of scenes in the movie that felt like they'd be right at home in that setting. also the costumes didn't help. the suits for the whole Shazamily at the end looked kinda cheap. muscles looked weirdly fake. also gives that vibe to me.