Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

7 minutes ago, TMP said:

Imagine if DC didn't fuck up their cinematic universe lmao

They never would’ve been able to come even close to where Marvel has managed to be for the simple reason that the MCU did the shared universe thing first. Even if BvS had been a well received movie, it wouldn’t have been seen as the kind of event that the first Avengers film was. Frankly, I have doubts that the movie would’ve even been able to make a billion dollars in any scenario. It probably could’ve passed the $900 million mark if it was good, but it never would’ve been a massive event. 

Edited by WittyUsername

Just now, WittyUsername said:

Frankly, I have doubts that the movie would’ve even been able to make a billion dollars in any scenario.

Aquabro made $1.14 billion. Why wouldn't Batman vs. Superman?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TMP said:

Aquabro made $1.14 billion. Why wouldn't Batman vs. Superman?

Just because one film managed to make a billion dollars doesn’t mean another film could do the same. Aquaman was a VFX heavy film that relied on spectacle, rather than novelty to sell itself, and ultimately, places like China love a good spectacle. BvS never would’ve been comparable in terms of spectacle. 

Edited by WittyUsername
  • ...wtf 1

6 minutes ago, TMP said:

Imagine if DC didn't fuck up their cinematic universe lmao

Imagine how much WB must be kicking themselves over their own handling of DC. Instead of having a great, prospering and growing franchise the trend is generally downward for DC, with no movie anymore capable of even opening to 100M. It is now a franchise abandoned by the general public as well as the Snyder cultists now that he was fired.

The story of the DCEU is only one of failures and missed opportunities, so the opposite of the MCU.

The tragedy is that we will probably never see most DC characters done right at the big screen, they have been made permanently less popular than about every Marvel character.

• Sad 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

8 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

They never would’ve been able to come even close to where Marvel has managed to be for the simple reason that the MCU did the shared universe thing first. Even if BvS had been a well received movie, it wouldn’t have been seen as the kind of event that the first Avengers film was. Frankly, I have doubts that the movie would’ve even been able to make a billion dollars in any scenario. It probably could’ve passed the $900 million mark if it was good, but it never would’ve been a massive event. 

There is a difference between not being as big as the MCU and being a hated franchise like the DCEU is today.

Had WB made good movies the DCEU would be a popular and well loved franchise even if less so than Marvel. Instead it is a hated franchise that is as disliked as the transformers movies by most people.

The main problem is that the DCEU is so hated that its killing the interest in DC characters all together.

• ...wtf 1

Just now, LordNox said:

There is a difference between not being as big as the MCU and being a hated franchise like the DCEU is today.

Had WB made good movies the DCEU would be a popular and well loved franchise even if less so than Marvel. Instead it is a hated franchise that is as disliked as the transformers movies by most people.

The main problem is that the DCEU is so hated that its killing the interest in DC characters all together.

DC is doing alright at the moment. They’re obviously not even remotely on the same playing field as Marvel, but they’ve managed to bounce back okay after JL. 

With that said, I sincerely hope that Birds of Prey flops big time. Harley Quinn is and always has been a terrible and utterly worthless character, and anytime she’s in something, I want that thing to fail on principle. 

• ...wtf 1

5 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

DC is doing alright at the moment. They’re obviously not even remotely on the same playing field as Marvel, but they’ve managed to bounce back okay after JL. 

With that said, I sincerely hope that Birds of Prey flops big time. Harley Quinn is and always has been a terrible and utterly worthless character, and anytime she’s in something, I want that thing to fail on principle. 

DC has had enough flops. If Birds of prey also flop you wonder if WB will just pull the plug now that Marvel has full monopoly of that genre.

• Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 1

5 minutes ago, LordNox said:

DC has had enough flops. If Birds of prey also flop you wonder if WB will just pull the plug now that Marvel has full monopoly of that genre.

They have WW84 coming out that same year. They don’t need trash characters like Harley Quinn. 

• ...wtf 1

1 minute ago, WittyUsername said:

They don’t need trash characters like Harley Quinn. 

She's starring in James Gunn's Suicide Squad. I don't think she's going anywhere.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Harley Quinn > your favorite character

Prove me wrong

Let’s not be delusional now. DCEU is definitely not over. The Aquaman proved that. If they are smart and make decent movies they can slowly build up a universe again and smash. Key word here is slowly. They can’t rush it. They should also retire Batman and Superman for a while. Those characters are far to big and people will always complain no-matter what they do with them (similar to how many complain about Star Wars). Introduce them again in a couple of years. 

17 minutes ago, DlAMONDZ said:

Harley Quinn > your favorite character

Prove me wrong

She’s a completely pointless character who was created by some creepy perverts, and who has a backstory that’s unbelievably stupid even by comic book standards. Her backstory is that she’s a ditzy airhead who had sex with her college professors in order to get a PhD (pretty sure that’s not how getting a PhD works), and who somehow was stupid enough to fall in love with the Joker, who, according to Bruce Timm and Paul Dini, is apparently the DC equivalent of Ted Bundy (ugh). Her entire existence relegates the Joker to playing the unbelievably forced, predictable and overused trope of the abusive boyfriend, which I absolutely despise. The Joker is supposed to be an unpredictable force of nature. Making your bad guy a domestic abuser is just about the laziest and most predictable way of showing how evil they are. Beyond that, she also has an ear gratingly obnoxious voice. 

Is that good enough of an explanation for why I hate the character?

Edited by WittyUsername
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 1

32 minutes ago, HeadShot said:

Let’s not be delusional now. DCEU is definitely not over. The Aquaman proved that. If they are smart and make decent movies they can slowly build up a universe again and smash. Key word here is slowly. They can’t rush it. They should also retire Batman and Superman for a while. Those characters are far to big and people will always complain no-matter what they do with them (similar to how many complain about Star Wars). Introduce them again in a couple of years. 

Batman makes far too money for WB to rest it. It’s why we’re getting a new Batman film in 2021

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Batman makes far too money for WB to rest it. It’s why we’re getting a new Batman film in 2021

He won’t be making money if they fuck him up again. They better be careful that’s all I’m gonna say. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Huh? BvS made over 800M just on the strength of it featuring Batman and Supes. If it were actually good and well received, it would have had no problem crossing 1B.

2 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

I'm no Harley fan at all and dread BoP being a Harley solo in disguise but I don't want it to flop just because I want to see a sequel with all the actual BoP members and a Black Canary/Green Arrow movie at some point.  

Edited by Ororo Munroe