Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

3 hours ago, Ororo Munroe said:

Huh? BvS made over 800M just on the strength of it featuring Batman and Supes. If it were actually good and well received, it would have had no problem crossing 1B.

$873 million isn’t bad, but even for 2016, it was hardly an Earth shattering feat. The movie also opened to lower numbers than Iron Man 3 and Civil War, and given that word of mouth doesn’t usually severely impact a film until after a sizable number of people have seen it, that would suggest that the film probably never had a shot at a $200 million opening, even if it was seen as a good movie. 

For the record, I’m more of a DC fan than a Marvel fan, and was nervously anticipating BvS from the day it was announced back in 2013, right up to its release. With that said, DC never had a chance at replicating the success that Marvel had with a shared universe. There’s no point in denying that at this point.

3 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

For the record, I’m more of a DC fan than a Marvel fan, and was nervously anticipating BvS from the day it was announced back in 2013, right up to its release. With that said, DC never had a chance at replicating the success that Marvel had with a shared universe. There’s no point in denying that at this point.

I think if Warner Bros keeps plugging away with DC, while they won't hit Endgame heights, they'll end up with a couple of superheroes franchises, the fact we've now getting Aquaman, Wonder Woman and Shazam sequels would have been unthinkable even ten years ago when WB was focusing solely on Batman and Superman. 

2 minutes ago, RobrtmanAStarWarsReference said:

Batman v Superman would have been a locked billion if it were a half decent movie. Anyone who tries to argue otherwise has no grasp on reality 

I liked BvS a lot but I get a lot of people didn’t but you’re 100% right, with better reviews and with a movie more people liked the movie would of opened bigger and had much better legs. I don’t buy the hype wasn’t there thing at all. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

$873 million isn’t bad, but even for 2016, it was hardly an Earth shattering feat. The movie also opened to lower numbers than Iron Man 3 and Civil War, and given that word of mouth doesn’t usually severely impact a film until after a sizable number of people have seen it, that would suggest that the film probably never had a shot at a $200 million opening, even if it was seen as a good movie. 

I'm not saying it would have opened to 200M. I'm saying a better movie would have had better legs and thus, likely would have had no problem crossing 1B. 

DC certainly never had a chance with the strategy (or lack thereof) they pushed. But I don't think they ever needed to replicate Marvel's level of success. A DC universe could have been successful on its own terms. 

Edited by Ororo Munroe

44 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

What are the cool characters DC never touched that could be done in film ?

A lot of people will say it would be hard to adapt, but the Sandman (and more Vertigo down the road), if done right, would be amazing. It's a bit more niche and is less well known amongst general audiences, but if the last decade has proven anything, it's that you don't need Superman, Batman, or Spiderman to be successful. For me, the otherworldly scale of the series and the depth of its enigmatic characters are unmatched by most other comic book properties.

• Like 1

Just now, cax16 said:

I liked BvS a lot but I get a lot of people didn’t but you’re 100% right, with better reviews and with a movie more people liked the movie would of opened bigger and had much better legs. I don’t buy the hype wasn’t there thing at all. 

I don’t know about you, but in the days leading up to BvS, I remember there having been endless cynicism from every corner of the Internet in regards to BvS. The trailers received all kinds of ridicule from people, especially the Doomsday one. 

5 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

I'm not saying it would have opened to 200M. I'm saying a better movie would have had better legs and thus, likely would have had no problem crossing 1B. 

DC certainly never had a chance with the strategy (or lack thereof) they pushed. But I don't think they ever needed to replicate Marvel's level of success. A DC universe could have been successful on its own terms. 

It would’ve had better legs for sure, I’m not arguing that. I’m simply saying that in a hypothetical scenario where the movie managed to be well received, I think it probably would’ve crossed the $900 million mark, but would’ve fallen short of a billion. 

(taking this to the Franchise Wars thread to keep @aabattery happy)

((as opposed to ME, as I detest this thread. ;)))

22 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Nope. It would make less than it did. Way less.

Just a quick question about Avatar being released today making "way less".

Did the 3D revolution/resurgence that Avatar ushered in already occur in this hypothetical?  That is, the 3D craze came and went and Avatar would be released for the first time in the current "meh" attitude toward 3D (in the DOM market at least).

Coz while the ultimate affect that the brand new enhancements to 3D on its box office can be debated, I think it is folly to say it didn't pay a role at all (I still  remember the advertisements in Week Six or so hyping up the 3D angle and how revolutionary it was... from tie-in merchandising [i.e. not movie advertisements itself]).

Just wanted to know how much its explosion of  then brand new 3D ticket sales and how much hype that drove is factoring in to your "way less" comment.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

Just now, WittyUsername said:

I don’t know about you, but in the days leading up to BvS, I remember there having been endless cynicism from every corner of the Internet in regards to BvS. The trailers received all kinds of ridicule from people, especially the Doomsday one. 

Of course, the internet and social media is full of loud annoying idiots.

Had BvS been well received by critics and GA it would of had no issue having a bigger opening weekend and better legs. Regardless of my opinion of the movie BvS just didn’t connect with people and critics and that’s what hurt it’s box office. 

4 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

It would’ve had better legs for sure, I’m not arguing that. I’m simply saying that in a hypothetical scenario where the movie managed to be well received, I think it probably would’ve crossed the $900 million mark, but would’ve fallen short of a billion. 

It made 873m with terrible reviews and wom. Domestically alone it could of made up the difference if it had been well received. A Batman solo movie has made 500m domestically before. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cax16 said:

Of course, the internet and social media is full of loud annoying idiots.

Had BvS been well received by critics and GA it would of had no issue having a bigger opening weekend and better legs. Regardless of my opinion of the movie BvS just didn’t connect with people and critics and that’s what hurt it’s box office. 

I agree that the movie didn’t connect with people, hence its historically awful legs. I’m just saying that I think we severely overestimated just how much hype there was for the movie in the first place.

2 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I agree that the movie didn’t connect with people, hence its historically awful legs. I’m just saying that I think we severely overestimated just how much hype there was for the movie in the first place.

I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree cause I think there was plenty of hype. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

It still can be, I think with a few successful movies in the can, Warner Bros will likely flirt with the idea of a big DC crossover event film. We'll probably have mini crossover with Shazam and Black Adam first though. 

I think Warner Bros' biggest success and also flaw is not treating DC like a separate entity, their strategy was to license the characters to different directors and producers which they would then distribute, that worked very well with things like The Dark Knight Trilogy and also their many successful TV series but it's meant they could never compete on the same level as Marvel Studios and also meant a lot less consistency which was more on par with the likes of Fox and Sony. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

It still can be, I think with a few successful movies in the can, Warner Bros will likely flirt with the idea of a big DC crossover event film. We'll probably have mini crossover with Shazam and Black Adam first though. 

I think Warner Bros' biggest success and also flaw is not treating DC like a separate entity, their strategy was to license the characters to different directors and producers which they would then distribute, that worked very well with things like The Dark Knight Trilogy and also their many successful TV series but it's meant they could never compete on the same level as Marvel Studios and also meant a lot less consistency which was more on par with the likes of Fox and Sony. 

In fairness to them though, that’s how movies were made. That was the model that everyone was using. Marvel changed the model and wanted to do something very different and outside the box. Disney inherited that philosophy when they bought Marvel, and they let Kevin Feige carry out his vision. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I agree, it still can be. Things are going in the right direction but I'm still not that optimistic because I'm not sure WB has much of a strategy, even now. I reall hope BoP is succesful and they can finally bring Flash to the big screen and do him justice. That's all I'm hoping for at the moment, more consistency and success with the solo and smaller teamup movies. 

Just now, Walt Disney said:

In fairness to them though, that’s how movies were made. That was the model that everyone was using. Marvel changed the model and wanted to do something very different and outside the box. Disney inherited that philosophy when they bought Marvel, and they let Kevin Feige carry out his vision. 

The Marvel model is more akin to what Pixar does with its brain trust which Disney would have been very familiar to them.

I don't blame WB for trying it and other studios tried it and failed as well. I think that the MonsterVerse and Conjuring universe approach will work better for them when it comes to DC.