Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

7 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

I agree, it still can be. Things are going in the right direction but I'm still not that optimistic because I'm not sure WB has much of a strategy, even now. I reall hope BoP is succesful and they can finally bring Flash to the big screen and do him justice. That's all I'm hoping for at the moment, more consistency and success with the solo and smaller teamup movies. 

They don’t have a strategy right now. They’ve already gone on record to state that they’re done with the shared universe thing for a while now, and will focus primarily on individual films instead, and that’s for the best at this point. Believe it or not, they actually did have a plan while Snyder was overseeing the DC movieverse. Snyder had five movies planned, and he shared those plans with the public just last month. Needless to say, that didn’t work out for them.

While a big part of the problems with the shared DC movie universe did boil down to Snyder being such a polarizing filmmaker, I can’t imagine that anyone could’ve made the thing work without it coming off as a pale imitation of the MCU.

Edited by WittyUsername

4 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

I agree, it still can be. Things are going in the right direction but I'm still not that optimistic because I'm not sure WB has much of a strategy, even now. I reall hope BoP is succesful and they can finally bring Flash to the big screen and do him justice. That's all I'm hoping for at the moment, more consistency and success with the solo and smaller teamup movies. 

I don't think it is a bad strategy to take it one film at a time. DC is valuable IP to Warner Bros and Marvel's success made them realise how much they took it for granted, even those the movies have been hit and miss, in the wider scheme, the brand has diversified from Batman and Superman with the TV shows from various platforms including DC Universe and also more off beat things like Joker or Super Pets plus more mature projects like The Kitchen which is a Vertigo film and HBO's Watchmen series. 

7 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

The Marvel model is more akin to what Pixar does with its brain trust which Disney would have been very familiar to them.

I don't blame WB for trying it and other studios tried it and failed as well. I think that the MonsterVerse and Conjuring universe approach will work better for them when it comes to DC. 

Very similar, with the only difference being that the Pixar films don’t inhabit the same universe.

WB was right to try it because DC should be able to pull off something similar. They just failed in the execution. The interest in the characters is there though. 

11 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

They don’t have a strategy right now. They’ve already gone on record to state that they’re done with the shared universe thing for a while now, and will focus primarily on individual films instead, and that’s for the best at this point. Believe it or not, they actually did have a plan while Snyder was overseeing the DC movieverse. Snyder had five movies planned, and he shared those plans with the public just last month. Needless to say, that didn’t work out for them.

While a big part of the problems with the shared DC movie universe did boil down to Snyder being such a polarizing filmmaker, I can’t imagine that anyone could’ve made the thing work without it coming off as a pale imitation of the MCU.

A pale imitation would be okay though. The Avengers in the comics is an imitation of The Justice League, yet that never hurt Marvel in the comicbook business. It didn’t work because of the reason you already mentioned: Snyder’s vision. 

10 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I don't think it is a bad strategy to take it one film at a time. DC is valuable IP to Warner Bros and Marvel's success made them realise how much they took it for granted, even those the movies have been hit and miss, in the wider scheme, the brand has diversified from Batman and Superman with the TV shows from various platforms including DC Universe and also more off beat things like Joker or Super Pets plus more mature projects like The Kitchen which is a Vertigo film and HBO's Watchmen series. 

Oh, I don't think it's a bad strategy either. It's the right thing to do for now. I just don't have much faith in WB's ability to develop a successful shared universe. I'll have to see it to believe that they are capable. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

Oh, I don't think it's a bad strategy either. It's the right thing to do for now. I just don't have much faith in WB's ability to develop a successful shared universe. I'll have to see it to believe that they are capable. 

A shared universe like Marvel's, very difficult, a shared universe more akin to The MonsterVerse or Conjuring which are both WB franchises, that's very achievable. 

Since this is the Fanboy Wars Thread, I guess I’ll say that TDK still remains my favorite CBM of all time. I liked Endgame overallbut I’d be lying if I said that there weren’t parts of it that I thought were kind of boring. There were certainly parts of it that had me at the edge of my seat, but there were also large portions of the movie that I wasn’t super invested in.

Also, I know that some people like to give TDK flack for how convoluted it supposedly was, but I honestly think that Endgame was much more confusing and convoluted. The only thing about TDK that I kind of had trouble suspending my disbelief for was how easily the Joker was able to execute his plans, but even then, I was able to hand wave that stuff as being pure luck on his part. 

• Like 3

The Rise of Skywalker probably will not match Avengers: Endgame #s,

why is this??

is Avatar more popular then the Avengers squad? 

I'm assuming this is the last big Avengers team up  movie we will see and the next 300M OW will not be coming from a sleeper film

I've only read this current page but I have to hand it to the folks discussing DC: kudos to you guys on the mature, intelligent discourse. Good points made by all.

I'll say this about DC: Batman is my favourite character ever. No matter how much I think Marvel is winning right now, I will be there 1st in line for Matt Reeves' Batman and I really, really hope WB doesn't screw it up. I hope it doesn't underwhelm at the box office either after Snyder botched things.

6 hours ago, JB33 said:

I'll say this about DC: Batman is my favourite character ever. No matter how much I think Marvel is winning right now, I will be there 1st in line for Matt Reeves' Batman and I really, really hope WB doesn't screw it up. I hope it doesn't underwhelm at the box office either after Snyder botched things.

Matt Reeves and good box office returns aren't exactly a winning combo. I think it'll be lucky to be the third highest grossing superhero film of 2021 worldwide if Shang Chi and Panther 2 come out that year. Fourth if Strange 2 breaks out.

9 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Since this is the Fanboy Wars Thread, I guess I’ll say that TDK still remains my favorite CBM of all time. I liked Endgame overallbut I’d be lying if I said that there weren’t parts of it that I thought were kind of boring. There were certainly parts of it that had me at the edge of my seat, but there were also large portions of the movie that I wasn’t super invested in.

Also, I know that some people like to give TDK flack for how convoluted it supposedly was, but I honestly think that Endgame was much more confusing and convoluted. The only thing about TDK that I kind of had trouble suspending my disbelief for was how easily the Joker was able to execute his plans, but even then, I was able to hand wave that stuff as being pure luck on his part. 

TDK was my favourite cbm of all time, but after Endgame I feel like that spot's been overtaken. 

I usually don't believe in these stuff, but, in the past decade, WB only failed to have a movie in the yearly top 10 worldwide in 2015, and is going to repeat that in 2019.

Also in the past decade they released a Zack Snyder written, directed or produced movie every year except 2012, 2015 and 2019. In 2012 though, they released new editions of his movies on home video:

Sucker Punch (Best Buy Exclusive SteelBook) May 22, 2012

Watchmen (Collector's Edition) Nov 13, 2012

300  (Best Buy Exclusive SteelBook) May 22, 2012

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I usually don't believe in these stuff, but, in the past decade, WB only failed to have a movie in the yearly top 10 worldwide in 2015, and is going to repeat that in 2019.

Also in the past decade they released a Zack Snyder written, directed or produced movie every year except 2012, 2015 and 2019. In 2012 though, they released new editions of his movies on home video:

Sucker Punch (Best Buy Exclusive SteelBook) May 22, 2012

Watchmen (Collector's Edition) Nov 13, 2012

300  (Best Buy Exclusive SteelBook) May 22, 2012

Yes, the cosmos cares so much about the dude bro Snyder that it's punishing WB for his crappy movies... :hahaha:

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Joker and It 2 will probably make the top 10 worldwide