Dementeleus

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

6 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

It is acceptable that China will do over $600 million easily for Avatar 2 but one thing everyone seems to forget is the two reasons Avatar worked were;

1. Visual Revolution (this was big)

2. Word of Mouth

Now for sequel to work, it must create curiosity for what happens next, connection with original should drive the film initially before word of mouth start doing its job. Now with development of CGI today, Avatar is just another CGI film today. Never have I ever met anyone in awe with characters or story of Avatar, it was always its visual masterpiece. The identity of Avatar is highest grossing film of all time and that's only hook for sequel for me, to see how it tops first one. Nothing else.

So it all depend on the word of mouth IMO because this time I don't see the visuals driving the film that high. With 3D dying in West, that's another negative that sequel has to face.

Besides I don't know if this is the case in rest of world, but in India a certain sector of trade has Avatar at $17mn Approx, while Fox officially has film at $24.5mn. 

Mind you I was saying 600 for Avatar 1 today which is super generous. Yes I'm off the belief Avatar 2 COULD do 1 billion. No guarantee though.

5 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

It's easy to estimate the amount of tickets sold for a particular movie and then assume that it would sell that same amount of tickets at a completely different time.

Avatar came out at the right time to do what it did.  Would it do the exact same thing again were it released today?  Maybe, but there's no guarantee.

Avatar grossed ₹8cr (1.8mn) in just one screen in India because it was playing like a 7D experience thing. I don't think it or Avatar 2 will do even 1/3rd of that today.

Edited by Charlie Jatinder
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

OK, lower in euro one but extra 500m from China.

Extra from Asia and Latin American markets extra 200 300 there

US inflation, extra 100m

Global inflation etc etc.

An Avatar sized performance today would be well over 3b.

Take this to the Avatar thread if you think you so tuff huh buddy

I have defended this theory many times in A2's thread in the past. In fact, I started a thread talking about the ER's problem some years ago (Adjusting Exchange Rates...).

And as some people have said here, you can not asume that every person who watched Avatar will repeat with A2. Different times. I commited that mistake some years ago and reality showed me that every film has its own moment and circumstances. Today is Marvel moment. Will it be next year A2's moment?maybe, but it is far from being locked, even more when we are talking about being the biggest film ever.

13 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

I’ve said it before, but I really don’t think the OW numbers for BvS were that impressive. The movie just barely made $166 million on OW, which is only slightly more than what the Nolan Batman movies made, and those movies didn’t benefit from 3D tickets or early Thursday “preview” screenings. It pains me to say it, since I had spent nearly three years of my life anxiously anticipating the film, but the hype for BvS was never on the level of pretty much any of the Avengers movies, and Batman’s popularity has clearly dropped since then. 

I’m not saying that Batman can’t make a comeback, but as of right now, I see no reason to assume that the property is still the juggernaut it was 10 years ago. The character has been completely upstaged by the MCU. That’s just a simple fact. 

All Marvel characters are much more popular than DC characters. So by your logic WB should stop making any DC movie, not just Batman movies. In fact WB needs Batman, because unlike Marvel people don't care about unknown DC characters which is why no one watched Shazam. Batman is one of few DC character that people have any sort of interest in.

In fact you could argue that the reason why WB has to milk Batman is because unlike Marvel WB have failed in making people care about their other characters. Marvel can basically take any of their obscure characters and make them into a movie hit. For WB that is impossible and more likely to lead into Shazam failures. So WB can go the easy route and make a Batman movie that will at least do 700M or something at the box office.

Edited by LordNox

52 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

48 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Now for sequel to work, it must create curiosity for what happens next, connection with original should drive the film initially before word of mouth start doing its job. Now with development of CGI today, Avatar is just another CGI film today. Never have I ever met anyone in awe with characters or story of Avatar, it was always its visual masterpiece. The identity of Avatar is highest grossing film of all time and that's only hook for sequel for me, to see how it tops first one. Nothing else.

I think Cameron likely has something big in store that pushes modern CGI to its boundaries. I'm pretty sure he was also experimenting with underwater stuff (which is basically his turf). Also, many people are in awe of the world of Pandora. Don't forget that that was also a huge selling point. And the Disney World Pandora park is also doing well in sales.

(Urgh, I can't believe I am now defending the position of the JC fanboys)

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

Honestly 10 years? Glad someone finally came at the king. Now we have an evil to defeat with Avatar 2 or the Avatar re release, adds some spice.

The more cocky people get will just make it all that sweeter when A2 makes 4 billies.

Also if Endgame misses now it will be hysterical.

Avatar size release today would make 3.5b at least... Check Avatar thread for analysis.

Side Note, image there shows the difference between Jim and studio manufactured cookie cooker filmmaking. That scene is beautiful its hard not to cry, the difference in filmmaking is so astronomical its comical.

Nah.... hahaha. But yeah can’t count James out

1 hour ago, Deep Wang said:

It's easy to estimate the amount of tickets sold for a particular movie and then assume that it would sell that same amount of tickets at a completely different time.

Avatar came out at the right time to do what it did.  Would it do the exact same thing again were it released today?  Maybe, but there's no guarantee.

Or at a different price.

Why do people think that a family of 4 will have no problem paying $12 per ticket instead of $8?

Just like people now can re-watch any movie at anytime anywhere, but they had to wait for a GWTG re-release to do it before. 

There isn't any kind of way to truly measure which one of these movies are bigger than others. They're all huge movies that hold the crown until the next huge movie. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

That’s just bait, won’t address it directly.     

However, I doubt that the 2,3,4 year gap sequels are really a great guide for how an 11 year gap sequel will perform.       

I suspect A2 will mostly play on it’s own merits, which could be good or bad depending on whether Cameron strikes lightning in a bottle thrice.

Folks in the Avatar thread almost make me want to root for failure on Avatar 2 but I shall not because I wish to see it and hope it does well. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Folks in the Avatar thread almost make me want to root for failure on Avatar 2 but I shall not because I wish to see it and hope it does well. 

Hahahaha tis was me 3 years ago LFMAO

But now I am actualy hoping it does crazy buisness and rooting for it to do extremely well.

I am very intrested in it's run, hoping Cameron makes it a special one again.

That said the Avatar forum does certainly try it's hardest to make you dislike the movie :hahaha:

Spoiler

But once you start taking everything will a grain of salt in that thread it's quite amuzing tbh

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, pepsa said:

Hahahaha tis was me 3 years ago LFMAO

But now I am actualy hoping it does crazy buisness and rooting for it to do extremely well.

I am very intrested in it's run, hoping Cameron makes it a special one again.

That said the Avatar forum does certainly try it's hardest to make you dislike the movie :hahaha:

Reveal hidden contents

Avatar after exchanges rates Europe is only $600M vs $800M actual gross, Avatar isn't as big as it seems, still very of course, even with the same number of admissions it would need very very big numbers in Asia to make the same gross so I'm not very optimistic. Though a $2B gross would be great.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

I think Cameron likely has something big in store that pushes modern CGI to its boundaries. I'm pretty sure he was also experimenting with underwater stuff (which is basically his turf). Also, many people are in awe of the world of Pandora. Don't forget that that was also a huge selling point. And the Disney World Pandora park is also doing well in sales.

(Urgh, I can't believe I am now defending the position of the JC fanboys)

I'm glad you've come around! Its not about us vs them or what ever. It's about being right and just. Meaning all signs point to A2 being spectacular.

• Thanks 2

The major saving grace for A2 is Sing 2 leaving December as The Croods 2 won’t do shit so it doesn’t have to worry about big counterprogramming and has no real or strong competition from November to December.

15 hours ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

The major saving grace for A2 is Sing 2 leaving December as The Croods 2 won’t do shit so it doesn’t have to worry about big counterprogramming and has no real or strong competition from November to December.

Yep, Avatar 2 got a big boost with that move. Not that it really needed it, but Sing 2 would have taken a fair sized piece of the Christmas holiday pie away.

• Like 1

Assuming EG does become the highest grossing film of all time...

It will hold the spot for 6 to 20 months depending on an Avatar re-release.

This will be shortest amount of time a highest grossing film has held the spot. Another record for EG

• Haha 2