Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

4 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

"This era is the best it will get"  and "this era killed cinema" are pretty contradictory statements but okay

I also think people shouldn't put too much stock in a festival that was happy to give an award to a literal convicted pedophile who fled America to escape justice for his horrific raping of children

Who??

3 minutes ago, Nero said:

So was he punished or not? And how can people watch a movie of that guy , who has raped a woman? Disgusting.

For one of the rape he got a fairly clement guilty plea bargain of turning it unlawful intercourse with a minor,  around a month and a half of prison, 90 days of psychiatric evaluation and probation, apparently they heard that the judge would turn on that deal and sentence full prison time and he decided to flee to France, out of US authorities reach since.

There was some acquisition since the #metoo that there would have been other woman since.

Has for how one can still watch movies like Rosemary Baby or Chinatown even knowing those fact, they are great classic that help, the allegations are from the 70s to early 80s.

You have never seen the Ninth Gate, the pianist, Chinatown, Rosemary Baby, Carnage ?

Have you watched X-Me Days of Future past or listened to Micheal Jackson ?

7 hours ago, Barnack said:

For one of the rape he got a fairly clement guilty plea bargain of turning it unlawful intercourse with a minor,  around a month and a half of prison, 90 days of psychiatric evaluation and probation, apparently they heard that the judge would turn on that deal and sentence full prison time and he decided to flee to France, out of US authorities reach since.

There was some acquisition since the #metoo that there would have been other woman since.

Has for how one can still watch movies like Rosemary Baby or Chinatown even knowing those fact, they are great classic that help, the allegations are from the 70s to early 80s.

You have never seen the Ninth Gate, the pianist, Chinatown, Rosemary Baby, Carnage ?

Have you watched X-Me Days of Future past or listened to Micheal Jackson ?

I have watched Days Of Future Past but is he in it? I havent watched any other movies. 

26 minutes ago, Nero said:

I have watched Days Of Future Past but is he in it? I havent watched any other movies. 

Bryan Singer has been molesting young boys for years.

Michael Jackson has also had molestation allegations 

14 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

"This era is the best it will get"  and "this era killed cinema" are pretty contradictory statements but okay

I also think people shouldn't put too much stock in a festival that was happy to give an award to a literal convicted pedophile who fled America to escape justice for his horrific raping of children

Not only that but it's amusing to see fans talking like Venice holds some grand importance when most of them probably didn't know what a Golden Lion was before Joker won it. 

And now that reviews are coming back down to earth, the Vice and Green Book Oscar noms are popping up to try to keep Joker's hopes alive, lol. I'm not gonna say it has no chance at a BP nom but folks are missing some key factors with movies like GB and Vice getting a nom. Those were Oscar-friendly movies, for one...Joker is not. The latter already has to deal with genre bias and if it's as dark as some claim, that's another strike against it. It's probably going to need an amazing box office run to even stay in the conversation. 

9 hours ago, The GOAT said:

So, when do you guys think funnybook movies will die? when cinema dies?   

I feel they will go the way of the western soon. 

Not a chance. Superheroes are on their way to becoming timeless and most cbm are essentially modern action movies so they aren't going out of style any time soon. 

19 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Isn't one of the overarching villains in the mcu a high ranking member of the US military? Didn't IM2 shit on the US military? 

Also, are we sure that it wasn't Man of Steel and Green Lantern the ones that were military funded and subsequently sucked military penis? 

I concede the points about CM though, that was pure military propaganda. 

22 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I'm not going to defend any glorification of the military but saying the conversation needs to start with the MCU is an absolute joke. You want to talk about problematic elements in MCU movies, fine. But don't use it as a distraction from Joker. The need to not only center a white male villain but to make him sympathetic should remain at the forefront of the conversation.  

8 minutes ago, LaughingEvans said:

Isn't one of the overarching villains in the mcu a high ranking member of the US military? Didn't IM2 shit on the US military? 

Who is that? I'm guessing he wasn't in any of the films that were funded by the US military.

Also, IM2 didn't shit on the US government. They made the guy who sold weapons to the US government look dumb and the weapons only end up doing evil shit when Rourke's (foreign) character gets his hands on them.

28 minutes ago, LaughingEvans said:

Also, are we sure that it wasn't Man of Steel and Green Lantern the ones that were military funded and subsequently sucked military penis? 

I concede the points about CM though, that was pure military propaganda. 

You can download the deal with Iron Man 2 and DOD details here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/b5l2iddb3d81v09/DOD-PAA-Iron-Man-2.pdf, Marvel had to screen the rough cuts to the DoD during the process so change could be made.

Transformer are a big one franchise wise (and obviously Top Gun), funded is different than influenced, for example Zero Dark Thirty was influenced by the military by letting them spy on papers lying around created to influence them during their meeting, the Zero Dark Team thought they had brilliantly played the military into knowing more and exposing more truth than the military wanted, when it was all planned by the Military to create the narrative they wanted.

Usually the military loan material/location to the filmmaker in exchange of good service but do not directly fund them or they manipulate them otherwise, by letting screenwriter ask them question and answer them:

https://medium.com/insurge-intelligence/exclusive-documents-expose-direct-us-military-intelligence-influence-on-1-800-movies-and-tv-shows-36433107c307

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

The need to not only center a white male villain but to make him sympathetic should remain at the forefront of the conversation.  

You have no clue if it's sympathy or empathy. And regardless of either, it's not going to do more harm than A Clockwork Orange or Taxi Driver (both movies where audiences are made to empathise with the main characters) did. There is really no conversation to be had here.

Also how would you feel if Disney decided to make Mulan a movie the fetisizhes the values held by the CCP (which they already are with the marketing) and also paid by the CCP to not say anything bad about them? It's the same thing happening here but with America.

@LaughingEvans Yeah, Green Lantern and Man of Steel did the same thing. I'm 99% sure the Transformers movies have had military involvement/funding too.

Edited by lorddemaxus

Just now, lorddemaxus said:

You have no clue if it's sympathy or empathy. And regardless of either, it's not going to do more harm than A Clockwork Orange or Taxi Driver (both movies where audiences are made to empathise with the main characters) did. There is really no conversation to be had here.

Entertainment Weekly said Joker is too tWiStEd to even give a grade to, that says it all really.

13 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

I'm not going to defend any glorification of the military but saying the conversation needs to start with the MCU is an absolute joke. You want to talk about problematic elements in MCU movies, fine. But don't use it as a distraction from Joker. The need to not only center a white male villain but to make him sympathetic should remain at the forefront of the conversation.  

Really not sure what does the joker movie and the character skin color have to do with the military influence over the entertainment industry ?

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

28 minutes ago, LaughingEvans said:

IM and IM2 were literally supported by the Pentagon:

https://www.spyculture.com/updated-complete-list-of-dod-films/

So was the "subversive" Winter Soldier. :hahaha:

MoS and Green Lantern (or, strangely, the first Captain America) don't appear on the list but it isn't exhaustive and doesn't include movies after 2016.

Edited by MrGlass2
  • Like 1