Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

13 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

I do say - though Marvel on whole has better stories, dialogue and acting underneath the 3D surcharge.  

The 3D gimmick was the same thing that propelled Alice 1 to $1b.  Didn't help Alice 2 because by then it was old hat.

That sound gimmick was bad aswell! Can't wait for the silent era to come back.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

I do say - though Marvel on whole has better stories, dialogue and acting underneath the 3D surcharge.  

The 3D gimmick was the same thing that propelled Alice 1 to $1b.  Didn't help Alice 2 because by then it was old hat.

No Marvel entry holds a candle in terms of cinematic experience compared to Avatar.

Visually, one Marvel movie looks like a child's costume play at a local fair compared to Avatar in terms of scope and world building.

Story-wise, MCU is as driven by tropes and cliches as Avatar if not more because there are so much CBM since Superman 78 that just sucked dry this same template hence the formulaic argument leveled so often against them, Cameron doesn't pander to kids or fanboys scrubbing their decades old comics for "accuracy" like some kind of movie quality. Acting and dialogue wise, of course when your actors are comedians, I don't see how a 8 feet tall blue alien can crack jokes about Underoos and Shawarmas trivializing the story at hand for cheap laughs instead of pushing it forward just to get the audience in their pockets by turning the characters into some cosy buddy sitcom. To each his own.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, dashrendar44 said:

No Marvel entry holds a candle in terms of cinematic experience compared to Avatar.

Visually, one Marvel movie looks like a child's costume play at a local fair compared to Avatar in terms of scope and world building.

Story-wise, MCU is as driven by tropes and cliches as Avatar if not more because there are so much CBM since Superman 78 that just sucked dry this same template hence the formulaic argument leveled so often against them, Cameron doesn't pander to kids or fanboys scrubbing their decades old comics for "accuracy" like some kind of movie quality. Acting and dialogue wise, of course when your actors are comedians, I don't see how a blue alien can crack jokes about Underoos and Shawarmas trivializing the story at hand for cheap laughs instead of pushing it forward just to get the audience in their pockets by turning the characters into some cosy buddy sitcom. To each their own.

Honestly visually most Marvel movies look like a TV production.

4 minutes ago, dashrendar44 said:

Story-wise, MCU is as driven by tropes and cliches as Avatar if not more because there are so much CBM since Superman 78 that just sucked dry this same template hence the formulaic argument leveled so often against them, Cameron doesn't pander to kids or fanboys scrubbing their decades old comics for "accuracy" like some kind of movie quality. Acting and dialogue wise, of course when your actors are comedians, I don't see how a 8 feet tall blue alien can crack jokes about Underoos and Shawarmas trivializing the story at hand for cheap laughs instead of pushing it forward just to get the audience in their pockets by turning the characters into some cosy buddy sitcom. To each his own.

You were praising how great CW was not too long ago :redcapes: 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

Honestly visually most Marvel movies look like a TV production.

It's not even that, TV can look great nowadays. It's the fact that a Cameron movie never elicited that assertion from anyone, even his haters. So arguing that Marvel movies are better visually than a Cameron movie when countless people don't even think that Marvel movies look like proper movies is laughable.

12 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

You were praising how great CW was not too long ago :redcapes: 

Yeah but it's not better than Avatar. And when you got a dozen movies before to indulge and grow familiarity with, it's easier to get swept and invested emotionally by the soap operatic drama whereas someone who just stumbles on it will be dumbfounded by the surface level action (even MCU fans don't buy Bucky the dramaqueen after two movies). Cameron doesn't leave anyone behind. Even T2, people who didn't see T1 understood the shenanigans and the stakes sight unseen, it's impossible with Civil War or Age Of Ultron.

7 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Yeah, he just went deep end into the the trash Marvel handbook to defend his beloved Avatar.  He doesn't even believe what he's saying. :lol:

No, I give credit when credit is due but putting Russo bros in the same sentence as James Cameron is too dense for my taste.

Edited by dashrendar44

1 hour ago, Water Bottle said:

Nobody really wants an Avatar sequel though. I feel no hype for it.

2 different things IMHO

I want to watch it (as you do too) and - in opposite to a lot of franchises - the younger pupils at 'my' school want to watch it (10y to 14y old - my older ones only to a small part)

That age group is a bit split up:

dos not want to watch films in a cinema at all (if watching, than on a mobiles or...) or does want to watch also CBM and or SW, but there is a group / part that does not want to watch anything but the next Avatar films. They ask me every few months for any news for the release date. Since a long time (as the first film is for at least 12years old I had some discussions with them how they got to see it too young ... then). I think without a release date, the repeat changes of assumed release dates at the beginning, it is difficult to stay 'hyped'

But if the next film is not ground-breaking with something ... recognisable, me too doubt new records. Maybe the inflation will help?

(I am a ~ fan or like a lot of films... but not every genre)

1 hour ago, Eevin said:

Look, I'm not trying to start anything here. I've been here five days. I'm just expressing my opinion on what I think Avatar 2 will do at the box office, and you're expressing yours. Just try to be aware of the fact that just because people aren't as big a fan of Cameron as you are doesn't mean that they are crazy or are denying him. :)

A hint, I am for probably atypical reasons an Avatar fan myself , but have 'him' - atypical for me outside IMDb - on ignore, he is in my POV way over the top: in the reasons given of/for/about his opinions, the style,... 

= IMHO it is not you ;)

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, dashrendar44 said:

Yeah but it's not better than Avatar. And when you got a dozen movies before to indulge and grow familiarity with, it's easier to get swept and invested emotionally by the soap operatic drama whereas someone who just stumbles on it will be dumbfounded by the surface level action (even MCU fans don't buy Bucky the dramaqueen after two movies). Cameron doesn't leave anyone behind. Even T2, people who didn't see T1 understood the shenanigans and the stakes, it's impossible with Civil War or Age Of Ultron.

No, I give credit when credit is due but putting Russo bros in the same sentence as James Cameron is too dense for my taste.

No you didn't give credit.  You trashed the story telling (as if Ferngully & Pocahontas in Space isn't derivative),  ignore the superiority of characterization (that yes comes partially from long form storytelling though even in solo intro movies it was better) and dialogue, and then undercut the acting by saying it's easier because they're doing cheap jokes.  The later is a particularly ridiculous statement.  One it wrongfully devalues comedy, two dismisses the drama in Marvel movies and three actually pretends Sam Worthington is a good actor held back because he's being "dramatic"..  If you had stuck to a comparison of visuals there wouldn't be an issue or a comparison that didn't favor Cameron, but you didn't.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 2

It is so strange to see people argue about films / worlds / whilst liking both, agreeing and disagreeing with a lot of posts at the same time, but not agreeing to some peoples style to discuss.

How to give 1/2 likes??

• Like 1

1 minute ago, terrestrial said:

It is so strange to see people argue about films / worlds / whilst liking both, agreeing and disagreeing with a lot of posts at the same time, but not agreeing to some peoples style to discuss.

How to give 1/2 likes??

You like a post and then unlike it. :lol:

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

A hint, I am for probably atypical reasons an Avatar fan myself , but have 'him' - atypical for me outside IMDb - on ignore, he is in my POV way over the top: in the reasons given of/for/about his opinions, the style,... 

= IMHO it is not you ;)

You have me on ignore but you follow me around telling people to also ignore me, not nice!

25 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

No you didn't give credit.  You trashed the story telling (as if Ferngully & Pocahontas in Space isn't derivative),  ignore the superiority of characterization (that yes comes partially from long form storytelling though even in solo intro movies it was better) and dialogue, and then undercut the acting by saying it's easier because they're doing cheap jokes.  The later is a particularly ridiculous statement.  One it wrongfully devalues comedy, two dismisses the drama in Marvel movies and three actually pretends Sam Worthington is a good actor held back because he's being "dramatic"..  If you had stuck to a comparison of visuals there wouldn't be an issue or a comparison that didn't favor Cameron, but you didn't.

nZ6my4.gif

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

I wish they put Cameron & Nolan in a room together and the subject matter is 3D.

And they cannot get out.

And it s filmed.

For 4 hours.

If either of them were locked in a room with their most rabid fans for a few hours after which a black light was turned on inside, the results would put Jackson Pollock to shame. :sick:

39 minutes ago, Talkie said:

If either of them were locked in a room with their most rabid fans for a few hours after which a black light was turned on inside, the results would put Jackson Pollock to shame. :sick:

:ph34r:

• Like 1