grim22

Ocean's Eight | June 8, 2018 | WB | Gary Ross directing, Bullock, Blanchett, Hathaway, Rihanna, Bonham Carter, Kaling, Paulson and Awkwafina. Social Media Embargo up

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

At $70m if true, that is a shoe in to be profitable and extremely easy to greenlight, but if true I imagine that would also suggest a lot of the revenues will go in back end deals here.

I imagine Bullock, Blanchett and Hathaway likely have back ends deals 

2 hours ago, stay-cool said:

45 million would be excellent. Bullock is the only megastar here whereas the others had Clooney, Pitt, Damon and Julia Roberts. 

I’d argue that Hathaway and Cate are bigger than Damon was when Oceans 11 came out, he’d only had two hits. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I’d argue that Hathaway and Cate are bigger than Damon was when Oceans 11 came out, he’d only had two hits. 

Fair point on Damon, I agree. I don’t think Cate Blanchett is an actual box office draw, though. Probably just Bullock and Hathaway (to a lesser extent) of the cast here. 

32 minutes ago, stay-cool said:

Fair point on Damon, I agree. I don’t think Cate Blanchett is an actual box office draw, though. Probably just Bullock and Hathaway (to a lesser extent) of the cast here. 

First Ocean was quite the Pitt&Clooney affair, Damon rising career fitting is character in the movie.

Hathaway has really strong metrics, with the Female below 25 being her strongest quadrant.

Name                                   market                    Awareness                         Pop among aware             Score

Hathaway, Anne Australia 0.89 0.58 0.51
Hathaway, Anne Brazil 0.79 0.76 0.60
Hathaway, Anne France 0.70 0.47 0.33
Hathaway, Anne Germany 0.80 0.57 0.46
Hathaway, Anne Italy 0.80 0.62 0.50
Hathaway, Anne Japan 0.44 0.38 0.17
Hathaway, Anne Korea 0.78 0.53 0.41
Hathaway, Anne Mexico 0.82 0.77 0.63
Hathaway, Anne Russia 0.72 0.39 0.28
Hathaway, Anne Spain 0.81 0.49 0.40
Hathaway, Anne UK 0.91 0.55 0.50
Hathaway, Anne Int'l Average 0.77 0.56 0.43

Blanchett is a draw on the right kind of movie, Australia being probably her biggest market and female over 25 her best quadrant, apparently she get international pre-sales going and make small enough project easy to greenlight when she become attached to them, that is part because she will almost certainly give them award attention too.

Name                  Country                Awa      pop       score

Blanchett, Cate Australia 0.90 0.61 0.55
Blanchett, Cate Brazil 0.71 0.66 0.47
Blanchett, Cate France 0.81 0.53 0.43
Blanchett, Cate Germany 0.82 0.63 0.51
Blanchett, Cate Italy 0.69 0.54 0.38
Blanchett, Cate Japan 0.38 0.35 0.13
Blanchett, Cate Korea 0.38 0.18 0.07
Blanchett, Cate Mexico 0.68 0.69 0.47
Blanchett, Cate Russia 0.78 0.36 0.28
Blanchett, Cate Spain 0.77 0.57 0.44
Blanchett, Cate UK 0.87 0.53 0.46
Blanchett, Cate Int'l Average 0.71 0.51 0.36

41 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I'm a little surprised how low tracking is. Variety's range kind of puts 50M off the table unless the embargo drops early and reviews are through the roof.

Wasn't RPO tracking at $35m for the four days originally before the reviews came out? I think O8 is probably open low to mid 40s, I wouldn't be shocked if they have an early review embargo. 

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

Wasn't RPO tracking at $35m for the four days originally before the reviews came out? I think O8 is probably open low to mid 40s, I wouldn't be shocked if they have an early review embargo. 

I think that was for the 3 day

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

No direct competition either. Good counter programming to SFX flicks too. 

The only direct competition it has is Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again which isn't out until a month later. 

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I don't think MM2 will do well. Like, did people clamor for the sequel? 

I'm warming up to it as the clip they released was quite good, it's going to be a monster OS which will more than make up for any shortfall domestically, 

6 minutes ago, A2k Raptor said:

50-60 ow imo. 200 possible depending on reception. could pull off an AQP like ow/dom or even better in a different genre.

I think $50m is the ceiling OW wise, I hope and think it'll have good WOM but I don't see it outgrossing Gravity's OW for Sandra Bullock's highest OW

11 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

@GraceRandolph :Venom: 

This is hopefully a good move on WB's part. I think they took a look at tracking and decided something needed to happen.

may be it would be rare occassion (for studio) when embargo lifts on Friday or Saturday (1-2.06 ).

It can be ~50 mln opener if WB will try.

Edited by KeepItU25071906