kayumanggi

FANTASTIC BEASTS AND WHERE TO FIND THEM | 580.0 M overseas ● 814.0 M worldwide

Warner can push its annual worldwide total to $3B.

Everybody is happy.

But ont he side note: Mojo splits the earning of WB & WB (New Line) movies. 

Isn't New Line under Warner's banner? And aren't some movies

under "Warner" produced by other independent companies?

Edited by zackzack

If DH2 opens to 292,1 (not counting China or the $21,9 made in Japan) and closes at 775,4 (not counting China 60,8 or Japan 124,3). That means that DH2 have a 2,65x. So This movie can't be more frontloaded, I expect a 3x (it can get higher), so 430,2 from this markets, plus Japan and China. $550 OS is very posible not a lock but really posible. If China delivers it can make at least $80 and Japan can make over $50 (or higher).

• Like 2

6 hours ago, seduh said:

If DH2 opens to 292,1 (not counting China or the $21,9 made in Japan) and closes at 775,4 (not counting China 60,8 or Japan 124,3). That means that DH2 have a 2,65x. So This movie can't be more frontloaded, I expect a 3x (it can get higher), so 430,2 from this markets, plus Japan and China. $550 OS is very posible not a lock but really posible. If China delivers it can make at least $80 and Japan can make over $50 (or higher).

You are right. I used a x2.5 multiplier being conservative. It is probable it can go closer to x3 than to x2.5. However, I would not use DH2 to compare. It was released in July. The latest HP film released in November was DH1. And it had a x3 multiplier if do not take into account Japan and China.

But DH1 had low competition (Tangled, Tron Legacy, Little Fockers). And considering that films tend to be more and more frontloaded, I still have to see that FB is able to reach x3 multiplier from current markets.

12 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

Well, considering FB is edging out DS in OD numbers at a similar time, it seems it's looking good for FB. Pixar movies aren't very successful in China too, are they?

Moana is not Pixar, but WDAS. And last WDAS film did $235m in China...

52 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

143.3 M overseas | 218.3 M worldwide

I think the numbers will go a bit up with actuals OS. It increased a lot from estimates in UK, Germany, Brazil, Russia. I think SK too. 

Edited by James

6 hours ago, The Dark Rock said:

Worldwide opening is good but looks weak compared to HP...without China and Japan should do around $350-380m in OS...final total depends on how big it's going to be in China and Japan

Even the HP movies, that were really frontloaded, had that horrible multiplier..

With those markets (excludind China and Japan), the movie will probably do at least 420m

and with China and Japan we´ll probably have at least 80m

With current markets, FB can reach 400m. 

China's pre-sales are looking strong, even better than Doctor Strange at the same point which is an encouraging sign. 100m may be on the table. 

Japan is a wildcard. Yes, Potter was a monster there, but so was LotR, and look what happened to The Hobbit. Saying this, I do not think FB will suffer the same fate, but I don't think it'll be as big as Potter either. Say 50m for now. 

That gives FB 550m OS, and hopefully it can leg its way to 200m in the US for 750m WW. Either way, I don't see it missing the 700m mark, and I'm sure WB will be more than happy with that.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Quigley said:

Horrendous opening in Greece. Even smaller than the most conservative predictions: more here.

Your interpretation of horrendous is extraordinary. It opened on par with Dr. Strange.
Greece lost a lot of admissions in the last couple of years for obvious reasons. 

And it's not Harry Potter in the rest of Europe either. 

4 hours ago, Poseidon said:

Your interpretation of horrendous is extraordinary. It opened on par with Dr. Strange.
Greece lost a lot of admissions in the last couple of years for obvious reasons. 

And it's not Harry Potter in the rest of Europe either. 

Well, less than half of any Potter opening is pretty bad in my opinion. And the fact that it did badly elsewhere doesn't make Greece's opening any better. Even when taking the drop of yearly admissions into account, it is still way off all Potter films. Why would you compare it to an obscure Marvel property that no one knew before it became a film? FB has the entire Harry Potter and JK Rowling in terms of brand recognition.

2 minutes ago, Quigley said:

Well, less than half of any Potter opening is pretty bad in my opinion. And the fact that it did badly elsewhere doesn't make Greece's opening any better. Even when taking the drop of yearly admissions into account, it is still way off all Potter films. Why would you compare it to an obscure Marvel property that no one knew before it became a film? FB has the entire Harry Potter and JK Rowling in terms of brand recognition.

In the 2000s Greece had a strong economy and a growing population. Now the Greek economy is in a terrible, terrible state while the population is decreasing, so many young Greeks left the country...

You cannot compare HP movies with FB, things totally changed.

On 11/20/2016 at 5:02 PM, zackzack said:

Warner can push its annual worldwide total to $3B.

Everybody is happy.

But ont he side note: Mojo splits the earning of WB & WB (New Line) movies. 

Isn't New Line under Warner's banner? And aren't some movies

under "Warner" produced by other independent companies?

Warner is a blanket name for distribution purposes. Lots of independent production companies use WB for distribution, Alcon is probably the most well known one. New Line is split because of movies they distributed prior to being acquired by WB.