grim22

Weekend #s. MJ2 51.6/75.7M, TGD 39.2/55.6M lowest Pixar opening since Bugs Life, Creed 30/42M biggest OW for a boxing movie

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

TGD will still make money. 

Dory will make bank.

Incredibles 2 over 1B WW

Hail Pixar!

I'd say realistically TGD needs to hit 500m WW to be profitable. That certainyl doesn't seem like a lock right now. But yes, with home media sales and merchandise it should eventually be profitable at least. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Is Sicario better or worse then Prisoners?

I like Prisoners but I thought the middle of the film was a little rough (it ended super strong though)

I thought it was better than Prisoners. One of the best films I've seen all year. 

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

I'd say realistically TGD needs to hit 500m WW to be profitable. That certainyl doesn't seem like a lock right now. But yes, with home media sales and merchandise it should eventually be profitable at least. 

Say it does $180M DOM. $300OS could still happen, so home video sales will certainly push it over the $500M mark. 

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

prisoners was one of those movies designed to make dumb people feel like they like smart things.

e12GNEh.gif

Making me feel bad. It's why Nolan movies make feel good, a'ight?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

It may already be happening to Pixar. TGD is far from a guaranteed hit now with that kind of opening and budget. 

TBH I think TGD underperforming will spur Pixar on, it was a problem movie for them but they managed to salvage it but at the same time their budgets are getting bigger and Disney have given them leeway since they produce hits but another underperformer will have consequences. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

TBH I think TGD underperforming will spur Pixar on, it was a problem movie for them but they managed to salvage it but at the same time their budgets are getting bigger and Disney have given them leeway since they produce hits but another underperformer will have consequences. 

Well it certainly doesn't help their continuing case of sequelitis. For all IO may have done to help with that, TGD may be reversing it and they're probably happy again now that they have nothing but sequels on the slate. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Well it certainly doesn't help their continuing case of sequelitis. For all IO may have done to help with that, TGD may be reversing it and they're probably happy again now that they have nothing but sequels on the slate. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the sequels are only happening because the budgets have gotten so bloated, I do wonder if Disney might swap Coco with Gigantic if it is far enough along to pull forward. 

52 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Under performing after being their first thanksgiving release since The Incredibles? Truth be told, we've no idea how it will perform in the coming weeks. It's far too early to write it off just yet. 

This weekend has had Creed do better than expected and a solid second weekend for Hunger Games. Both have had a bit of an effect on it. We'll see where it is in a few weeks. 

• Like 1

Pixar make the sequels they do because they want to make them. I don't see any evidence, except maybe Cars, which might say otherwise. If they were all about the sequels they wouldn't be waiting a decade or more to make sequels to Incredibles, Nemo, Monsters Inc. 

They make what they want to make. A million miles away from under any pressure to make sequels imo. 

• Like 1

Thanksgiving is not a easy release date for an animated movie at all, the movie still needs to open high enough to avoid the theater drops during Christmas weekend.

I think it might even be harder for that animated movie compared to Sumner, because Summer means a better chance for huge opening. Just compared Frozen to Inside Out, both did very well in different ways and both had massive competition with Catching Fire and Jurassic World.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wildphantom said:

Under performing after being their first thanksgiving release since The Incredibles? Truth be told, we've no idea how it will perform in the coming weeks. It's far too early to write it off just yet. 

Incredibles was early November, though. The last actual Thanksgiving release for Pixar was TS2. Which, yeah, is long enough ago that we don't have enough to draw firm conclusions for its performance.