POTUS 2020

STAR WARS PREDICTION CONTEST. Winners Announced

4 hours ago, Fake said:

A pretty interesting observation regarding 500M+ gross:

All movies that have done it, weren't predicted to do it before the release, be it Titanic, TDK, Avatar, Avengers or JW.

And all the movies that were predicted to do it, didn't make it... e.g. TPM, TDKR, Avengers 2 (and even Hobbit by some).

Well.... there is a first time for everything, but at the same time, history can't be ignored.

Curious to see what happens.

Good ol 2010 when a lot of people were predicting 500m for Toy Story 3 and 400m for Ironman 2. 

6 hours ago, Fake said:

A pretty interesting observation regarding 500M+ gross:

All movies that have done it, weren't predicted to do it before the release, be it Titanic, TDK, Avatar, Avengers or JW.

And all the movies that were predicted to do it, didn't make it... e.g. TPM, TDKR, Avengers 2 (and even Hobbit by some).

Well.... there is a first time for everything, but at the same time, history can't be ignored.

Curious to see what happens.

History will be so wrong about TFA, it's not missing $500m.

The only, and I mean only concern, which is a terrible thought unfortunately and I hate to bring it up…is that if some dumb fucking person/people will shoot up a theater opening weekend and we have a TDKR situation.  We all hope/pray that doesn't happen, and TDKR still had good legs, but shit like that is the only thing that would stop $500m.  But it's hitting $500m.

Edited by FTF

21 minutes ago, Juby said:

Today, I say it's not missing $700 mln! I think TPM adjusted ($707,45 mln) is the minimum.

lol, no nothing can ever have a floor of $700m (dom).  $500m really seems to be the floor though.  Especially because buzz is it's really good.  We can expect tweets Monday night right?  That's the day of premiers?  And then critic reviews on Wed?  This has probably been said already in the main SW thread, but I'm avoiding that for fear of spoilers.

Edited by FTF

57 minutes ago, druv10 said:

I'm changing my WW prediction

306 OW/1105 Domestic/2200 WW

I remind you that only 2 movies in the history crossed one billion in domestic box office (adjusted) in their first theatrical releases!!

1. Titanic (1997) - $1,072.7 mln

2. E.T. (1982) - $1,010.6 mln

^ According to my calculation.

TFA won't be THAT big!! I think Avatar adjusted ($811,1 mln) is a challenge. First Star Wars original run ($220 mln before July 1978 re-release) adjusted is 'only' about $820 mln (biggest in the history of the series). I'm afraid that even with 3D and IMAX TFA won't beat that!

Edited by Juby